What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

4 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:
5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Our friends in the North ( 1996 ) 

8.6 imdb rating.

This will appeal more to Brits as it concerns 4 friends growing up in Newcastle and covers the period from 1964 to 1995. Each episode covers a pivotal year from this period and includes police corruption, slum housing projects, Thatcherism and the ‘84 miners strike. 
A good cast of Daniel Craig, Christopher Eccleston, Mark Strong and Gina McKee as the 4 friends with support from Larry Lamb and Malcolm McDowell.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115305/

I streamed it on fmovies but all 1 hour long episodes available on YouTube.

Expand  

I downloaded this last week and I'm going to start watching this tonight.

I've just started watching Our Friends in the North and seems pretty good so far. Worth a look IMHO.

• Like 1

I recently said how much I hated the most recent Jackass movie, yet here is a comedic movie that incorporates an actual plot, some Jackass styled stunts, and some very inventive and very funny hidden camera scenes that add up to a very entertaining package.

BAD TRIP

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I thought I Legend and I Robot were OK, but nothing special, but Enemy of the State was excellent, largely due to the usual great performance by Gene Hackman.

I am a sucker for post apocalyptic theme movies! I am Legend was in the vein of Omega Man. Other good ones are Book of Eli, The Road, Finch even Wall-E.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Watched the first two eps.

Great story (so far) and an amazing cast.

From the book series by Mick Herron.

Yes excellent, Gary Oldman stealing the show so far.

Incidentally, also written and partly directed by Will Smith- the UK comedian, not Will "slapper" Smith.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can't wait to see this, Apple TV+, six eps, first drops on 1 April (reviewers have seen the first two eps)

Slow Horses

In interviews Gary Oldman has said that "Season 1" is actually 12 episodes, all of which are "in the can".

And there may be more, plenty of source material.

• Like 2

Have just watched "Moonfall" and it was a "switch off your mind, enjoy the computer-generated effects ride, forget the unlikely plotline and anything else pertaining to a script", and you have a perfect Roland Emmerich movie.

It borrows from "Independence Day", "Prometheus" and just about any movie of that ilk and bundles aspects of them together for a totally unbelievable scenario, but given all that, mindless enjoyment.

PS. And it stars Halle Berry who is absolutely gorgeous IMO!!!

Edited by xylophone

12 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I am Legend was in the vein of Omega Man.

"I am legend" was a great movie. A couple of years ago I downloaded a version where the ending was mucked with, specifically Will Smith survived. The much superior original ending had Smith dying and saving the human race. It took a while to find the good version, but it is worth the effort.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I recently said how much I hated the most recent Jackass movie, yet here is a comedic movie that incorporates an actual plot, some Jackass styled stunts, and some very inventive and very funny hidden camera scenes that add up to a very entertaining package.

BAD TRIP

Rather liked this one which is similar in style.

Johnny Knoxville playing an 86yo grandpa.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

Have just watched "Moonfall" and it was a "switch off your mind, enjoy the computer-generated effects ride, forget the unlikely plotline and anything else pertaining to a script", and you have a perfect Roland Emmerich movie.

It borrows from "Independence Day", "Prometheus" and just about any movie of that ilk and bundles aspects of them together for a totally unbelievable scenario, but given all that, mindless enjoyment.

PS. And it stars Halle Berry who is absolutely gorgeous IMO!!!

Oh, and not forgetting some scenes late on in the movie which were reminiscent of the ending of, "2001 – A Space Odyssey"!!

10 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Rather liked this one which is similar in style.

Johnny Knoxville playing an 86yo grandpa.

Is this the one where the "grandpa" goes into a bar of some description and starts to dance, but his shorts are a little too short and his low hanging testicles (not real ones I will add) are dangling out the bottom of his shorts, much to the amusement/amazement of some of the customers?

Have watched Grantchester,about a country vicar who helps a copper solve crimes in 1950s village.

Dont know about box ticking but this week you have a white guy married to a black woman ,various black people dotted around ,a gay guy and a lady with only one arm ,just waiting for a non binery or a tranny,as we know there were lots in villages in the 1950s in English villages????

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Have watched Grantchester,about a country vicar who helps a copper solve crimes in 1950s village.

Dont know about box ticking but this week you have a white guy married to a black woman ,various black people dotted around ,a gay guy and a lady with only one arm ,just waiting for a non binery or a tranny,as we know there were lots in villages in the 1950s in English villages????

I find some episodes to be quite introspective.

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

Is this the one where the "grandpa" goes into a bar of some description and starts to dance, but his shorts are a little too short and his low hanging testicles (not real ones I will add) are dangling out the bottom of his shorts, much to the amusement/amazement of some of the customers?

The very same. The black male strippers weren't happy with him.

• Like 1

We watched the recent remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night, obviously not a groundbreaking plot, but watchable.

I enjoy the original slasher movies, but the wife doesn’t appreciate retro movies, so it’s a way to reach a compromise for movie night.

I thought it was well made, the effects next level, way less slapstick than the originals, plenty of tense moments, Thai subtitles - worth a look.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:45 AM, gargamon said:

"I am legend" was a great movie. A couple of years ago I downloaded a version where the ending was mucked with, specifically Will Smith survived. The much superior original ending had Smith dying and saving the human race. It took a while to find the good version, but it is worth the effort.

Looks like a sequel may be in the works unless Will Smith's latest antics have put a damper on it.
Obviously Will Smith needs to survive for a sequel so your preferred alternate scenario may not be an option.

I Am Legend 2 - What We Know So Far (looper.com)

Relived the summer of 1969, somewhat by accident with...

Kenneth Branagh's "Belfast" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja3PPOnJQ2k

and

Questlove's Oscar-winning "Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-siC9cugqA

Both amazing. Jude Hill stole the former, Nina Simone the latter.

Feel like I should be watching a documentary on the Amazin' Mets and the Moon landing?

The Informant

Two episodes in and this one is really good.

RAR

Summary: In Communist Hungary in 1985, Geri is eager to start his first year of college. But his plans are interrupted when the State Security blackmails him into spying on Zsolt Száva, a radical pro-democracy leader.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, truthman said:

You've just about talked me out of watching it. i was in the mood for a costume epic whodunit.

If you don't mind woke it's not a bad movie per se. Disney has something to do with the movie which explains the excessive wokeness.

• Haha 1