Bike rides round the Pattaya Region - Are they really that bad ?

properperson

Chonburi ... in the top 10 most densely populated provinces ... and they expect what ???

Isan...10 minutes out, and your in rural areas.  Flat & boring as hell, unless living on edge of the plateau.

Lived there 16 yrs, could wait to leave.  Certainly wouldn't be to Chonburi.  Why did they even go to ?

Little research goes a long way to enjoyable out & abouts.

Edited by KhunLA

6 hours ago, piston broke said:

I moved to Chang Rai late last year and treated myself to an new Africa Twin - I'm having the time of my life having suffered almost 10 years of finding nice bike routes in and around Pattaya ..

you wont be saying that soon when the burning season gets under way mate.

i used to live in CR, loved it there, and the scenery and roads are the best..........but the burning.........not fun having to wear a mask in the house!

• Like 2

Once you are out of greater Pattaya (30 years ago that would only take 5 minutes, now it takes 30 minutes) there are some lovely biking (I mean pedal bikes) routes. Pattaya to Bạn chang via the big Buddha, or to and around one of the many reservoirs are just a few examples. The ever expanding Pattaya city makes it less and less rewarding. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how good a rider you are. You can be Valentino Rossi but you can bet your gonna come off at some point wether it be your fault or a drunk driver knocks you off. I still have a 9" plate in my right femur from 20 years ago in Pattaya. I have a mate who was knocked off by a drunk driver not only once but twice and 2nd time broke his collar bone. 

I was sat at a red light and some clown rear ended me and knocked my scooter out from under me and it fell on the floor. I went to his window to say <deleted> and all he said was sorry na. ????

Its all fine and dandy riding bikes around here until it goes wrong. So after my experience and close friends experience just stick to scooters for quick trips to 7/11 etc. 

Don't pay too much attention to the negative posts, some people you just can't please. 

I've had a few big bikes (1000cc over) in Pattaya over the years, I prefer shorter rides 1 or 2 hours as it's tiring, lots of concentration, the bike is very noisy and I take off at speed from the lights (show off) so I'm always looking in the mirrors for cops and ahead for animals on the road etc. 

My best ride ever has been on my PCX, took it to Koh Kong, rode the Sukhumvit all the way to Cambodia. It follows the coast at Trat, great ride the coast road. 
When I'm riding the PCX I'm more comfortable, parking is not a problem, don't worry about theft or damage.
It's a dangerous ride, the oncoming trucks force you back and the wind coming from the side can move you sideways. It was a great experience, the feeling was awesome, throughout the journey I'd be going through wild weather, windy and rainy, I'd get soaking wet then the next hour of riding I'd dry out to get wet again the following hour, I ditched the raincoat, just makes too much noise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Some great roads in Rayong and Chanthaburi, not too far from Pattaya.  You just need to get out of Chonburi.

That's the whole down side of living there, it takes 1 hour to do that, then once 'somewhere', enjoy an hour cruising around, leaving you with a 4 hr ride.  More time than I want to be on 2 wheels.  Even a nice relaxing 'destination' and it's still 2 hrs each way.   Not enjoyable.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's the whole down side of living there, it takes 1 hour to do that, then once 'somewhere', enjoy an hour cruising around, leaving you with a 4 hr ride.  More time than I want to be on 2 wheels.  Even a nice relaxing 'destination' and it's still 2 hrs each way.   Not enjoyable.

There's many nice quite scenic roads just east of Pattaya's Darkside, no need to drive hours to get "there".

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, KhunLA said:

100 % true....

On 1/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, chilly07 said:

Why would anybody risk their life on some of the deadliest roads in the world experiencing extreme heat and dust for pleasure???.Thais only do it for convenience!

What motorbike do you ride. 

• Like 1

As someone said, the ride to Chantaburi is ok once you can join the coastal road.

Check out Peggy's Cove at K Wingman ( think that's the name of the beach ). A very unique hotel, nice quiet area to hang out at.

Little bit further you can get a photo at the thinest part of thailand, i think 4kms.