ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

11 hours ago, Presnock said:

Interesting EPOCH news article today that almost 50 percent of EV users will switch back to ICE vehicles for their next car.  Many different reasons.

You do know the Epoch Times is not a credible news source, right? Anti-vacc, QAnon supporting, pro-Trump, far right, anti-Chinese propaganda rag, formed by Falun Gong practitioners and recently charged with international money laundering. It is not a news source.

But anyway, please post the link, it'll be fun.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2024/06/we-always-thought-the-epoch-times-was-sketchy-but-this-is-really-something/

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Presnock said:

Interesting EPOCH news article today that almost 50 percent of EV users will switch back to ICE vehicles for their next car.  Many different reasons.

You mean below news article from Epoch Times, a far right news media organization that is anti EV since the Biden administration supports more use of EVs?   

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us/nearly-half-of-us-ev-drivers-consider-switching-back-to-gas-vehicles-mckinsey-study-5672246

And the article is cherry picking from a recent "2024 Global Automotive Consumer Study" which survey 27,000 people in 26 countries.  One of those countries was the US where 1,003 people were surveyed....small sample size.   The US is far begin in EV adoption for good and bad reasons.

Of course various new organizations are doing different types of cherry picking depending on their view towards EVs.

See below snapshot and post in another EV related thread for more details....the survey can be download from the post at the bottom so a person can read the report and make their own decisions.  

image.png.813f396b8f7a0c9f8a93c11129bb6fd0.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’ll bet two of the main reasons are inability to charge at home and frequent long distance trips. Would I be wrong?

not at all and the list of dislikes and even likes will continue until China rules the world or people realize that the total environmental negatives are even worse for the EV's.  When the ICE vehicles came into being they were thought to change the world and yeah then people realized how filthy the air was so lead-free fuel was brought about and the corn growers in many countries became wealtjhy as the govt

subsidized them to use corn for alcohol to mix with the fuel instead of lead.  Some air did get better but still to much pollution in too many other industries.  We continue chasing the golden goose and have already begun to realize the eggs are fool's gold only.  By the time something is found, mankind will probably be doomed already.  Have a nice day!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

not at all and the list of dislikes and even likes will continue until China rules the world or people realize that the total environmental negatives are even worse for the EV's.  When the ICE vehicles came into being they were thought to change the world and yeah then people realized how filthy the air was so lead-free fuel was brought about and the corn growers in many countries became wealtjhy as the govt

subsidized them to use corn for alcohol to mix with the fuel instead of lead.  Some air did get better but still to much pollution in too many other industries.  We continue chasing the golden goose and have already begun to realize the eggs are fool's gold only.  By the time something is found, mankind will probably be doomed already.  Have a nice day!

EVs also use power....

GQf_NvoXIAERhsQ.png

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

EVs also use power....

GQf_NvoXIAERhsQ.png

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

EVs also use power....

GQf_NvoXIAERhsQ.png

And, look at the news stories of this week - hotter than normal (which we know will continue) and power companies having problems keeping up with A/C use.  Imagine any major US city having only 50% EV's and all charging.  Get your solar panels soonest.

11 hours ago, motdaeng said:

providing no source or link to this claim makes it not worth reading.

(even i'm wondering where the 50% figure comes from ... maybe from a petrol company or toyota ?)

was already reported by someone else...if you can't find an article using google, you should learn as there are numerous articles about this very subject

4 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i agree with you on that, the life goes on and we always learn something new, haven't we ....  :thumbsup:

hopefully for sure...daily here on this forum though many times I begin to wonder if AI isn't involved in some of the stories.  At 77, It never ceases to amaze me in what some folks tell...good luck to you

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

hopefully for sure...daily here on this forum though many times I begin to wonder if AI isn't involved in some of the stories.  At 77, It never ceases to amaze me in what some folks tell...good luck to you

appreciate your honest answer, thank you!

if i offend you in any way, it was not my intention, sorry about that.

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

appreciate your honest answer, thank you!

if i offend you in any way, it was not my intention, sorry about that.

Hey, not offended at all - especially on this forum...and if I even offend anyone here I too apologize.  As an old fart, it takes quite a nasty bit to offend me...mostly I recognize it as sarcasm so just ignore it.

Take care, enjoy life here hopefully for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Presnock said:

Hey, not offended at all - especially on this forum...and if I even offend anyone here I too apologize.  As an old fart, it takes quite a nasty bit to offend me...mostly I recognize it as sarcasm so just ignore it.

Take care, enjoy life here hopefully for a long time.

Sarcasm?

What? here?

• Haha 1

2024 is a sluggish year for vehicle sales, ICEV and EV. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/business/thai-car-output-drops-162-year-may-local-sales-down-federation-says-4434361

25 Jun 2024 12:07PM(Updated: 25 Jun 2024 12:13PM)

Thai car output drops 16.2% on-year in May, local sales down, federation says

BANGKOK: Car production in Thailand fell 16.19 per cent in May from a year earlier to 126,161 units, mainly due to lower production of pickup trucks, the Federation of Thai Industries said on Tuesday (Jun 25).

The figure compared with April's 11.02 per cent year-on-year drop.

In the January-May period, car production declined 16.88 per cent from a year earlier to 644,951 units, it said.

The federation has said car production has been down mainly because of lower pickup truck output, reflecting weaker demand as banks have tightened auto lending due to high household debt.

Domestic car sales declined 23.38 per cent in May from a year earlier, after a drop of 21.49 per cent year-on-year in April, the federation said.

Thailand is Southeast Asia's biggest autos production centre and an export base for some of the world's top carmakers, including Toyota and Honda, with pickup trucks among the key vehicles manufactured.

The top six "D segment" cars....3 are EV and 3 are ICEV.

https://autolifethailand.tv/sales-report-d-segment-may-2024/

Sales Report D-Segment sales for May 2024: Toyota Camry is the champion. The new model will be available at the end of 2024.

June 25, 2024

Updated: June 25, 2024

dsegment_may_2024-final.jpg

Sales Report D-Segment car sales: May 2024

D-Segment car sales in May 2024 total 998 units.

• No. 1 Toyota Camry  : 352 cars
    • Market share 35.3%
  • No. 2 BYD Seal* : 236 units
    • Market share 23.6%
  • 3rd place Honda Accord : 224 cars
    • Market share 122.4%
  • No. 4 GWM ORA 07*  : 106 cars
    • Market share 10.6%
  • No. 5 Deepal L07*  : 78 cars
    • Market share 7.8%
  • No. 6 Mazda 6 : 2 cars
    • Market share 0.2%

dsegment_may_2024-table.jpg

D-Segment car sales in January - May 2024 total 7,061 units.

• No. 1 BYD Seal* : 4,021 units
    • Market share 56.9%
  • 2nd place: Honda Accord : 1,346 units
    • Market share 19.1%
  • 3rd place: Toyota Camry : 938 cars
    • Market share 13.3%
  • 4th place GWM ORA 07* : 487 units
    • Market share 6.9%
  • No. 5 Deepal L07* : 269 cars
    • Market share 3.8%
    • Market share 0.02%

* BYD Seal / GWM ORA 07 / Deepal L07 are 100% electric vehicles.

dsegment_may_2024-facebook.jpg

All information compiled by www.autolifethailand.tv

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

The top six "D segment" cars....3 are EV and 3 are ICEV.

https://autolifethailand.tv/sales-report-d-segment-may-2024/

Sales Report D-Segment sales for May 2024: Toyota Camry is the champion. The new model will be available at the end of 2024.

June 25, 2024

Updated: June 25, 2024

dsegment_may_2024-final.jpg

Sales Report D-Segment car sales: May 2024

D-Segment car sales in May 2024 total 998 units.

• No. 1 Toyota Camry  : 352 cars
    • Market share 35.3%
  • No. 2 BYD Seal* : 236 units
    • Market share 23.6%
  • 3rd place Honda Accord : 224 cars
    • Market share 122.4%
  • No. 4 GWM ORA 07*  : 106 cars
    • Market share 10.6%
  • No. 5 Deepal L07*  : 78 cars
    • Market share 7.8%
    • Market share 0.2%

dsegment_may_2024-table.jpg

D-Segment car sales in January - May 2024 total 7,061 units.

• No. 1 BYD Seal* : 4,021 units
    • Market share 56.9%
  • 2nd place: Honda Accord : 1,346 units
    • Market share 19.1%
  • 3rd place: Toyota Camry : 938 cars
    • Market share 13.3%
  • 4th place GWM ORA 07* : 487 units
    • Market share 6.9%
  • No. 5 Deepal L07* : 269 cars
    • Market share 3.8%
    • Market share 0.02%

* BYD Seal / GWM ORA 07 / Deepal L07 are 100% electric vehicles.

dsegment_may_2024-facebook.jpg

All information compiled by www.autolifethailand.tv

We really need our friend with the master degree from a kindergarten to teach autolife precentage calculus.

The Honda Accord did very impressive on 3rd place with 122.4% market share. 😊 😃 😀 😄 😁

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We really need our friend with the master degree from a kindergarten to teach autolife precentage calculus.

The Honda Accord did very impressive on 3rd place with 122.4% market share. 😊 😃 😀 😄 😁

Expect the article's author worked for TAT before.  😉

• Haha 2