Shall We Say Goodbye to Isaan?

Guest Isaanlife

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

France is a great choice, except the french. After 3 months you got free social security and It could be a future destination for sure. Italy, not so sure, maybe Croatia?

Croatia could be an option, I think. Not for me, because if I leave Thailand I'm not willing to learn another language.

When my son is old enough to study abroad, it will be Spain, Southern France or Italy. I own already a property on La Palma, but to stay there long time would be as boring as Isan ????

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

1200px-Cattle_eating_grass_through_barbe

Even I live in Isan, I give it 10 years, and I believe any grass or anyplace will look greener than Isan. On the Beginning of the third year right now. 

I will manage as long I get out on the road on my motorbike, or are still healthy enough to live hours away from a decent hospital. 

Edited by Hummin

Visas limit you in European countries. Portugal and Greece probably offer the easiest visas (minimum property investment required).

Central America seems to be very popular for retiring Americans with relatively easy visas in many countries eg Panama. Also offers you the ability to rent for a few years before buying.

14 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:
14 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Spain or Portugal, booze is far cheaper!

A massive consideration when selecting where to live.

Almost as massive as your health insurance renewals when you answer the 'Do you drink alcohol? box with a yes.

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

A massive consideration when selecting where to live.

Absolutely, while the local Tops has a magnificent new booze dept, shop within a shop the prices of the good stuff are enough to give one a stroke, same as anywhere ie Talisker 2.995k and Laphroaig at 4.500k

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Not beer, I don't want to pay 100 quid for a decent single malt in 'cheap' Thailand that I can buy at home for 30

Not only your single malt, even imported foie gras is more expensive than in France. How dare those Thais...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fredscats said:

No good,it p.issess down most of winter months,seas too cold for swimming any time of year and spoken language too damned difficult,plus more exp than Spain

The Algarve has been an English  speaking enclave for decades. There is no language  problem there.

It's most certainly  does  not rain excessively in the winter.

Thousands of people for decades  have found the sea to be comfortable  for swimming and there are swimming  pools of course.

You are badly informed or just being awkward for the sake if it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cobra said:

A motor bike yes, but if a mobility scooter,

you 've waited to long to leave, 

You obviously haven't been to Benidorm - there are more mobility scooters per square kilometre than anywhere else in the world!

Most used by overweight, middle aged women on benefits.

But don't just "dis" Benidorm, the old town is quaint and has some superb tapas restaurants and oyster bars.

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Algarve has been an English  speaking enclave for decades. There is no language  problem there.

It's most certainly  does  not rain excessively in the winter.

Thousands of people for decades  have found the sea to be comfortable  for swimming and there are swimming  pools of course.

You are badly informed or just being awkward for the sake if it.

The thing that put me off the Algarve, was that I suffered horrible Hay Fever there, worse than I did in the U.K. 

I only get it badly in some places. Eyes horribly itchy there. Don't remember it being an expensive place.

It all depends on what you need for your life. There is no one size fits all. I'm reasonably health conscious; so choose places likely to be beneficial to my health. With good health, I can more easily navigate my vessel through life ???? 

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Sounds like a place to avoid under all circumstances :-).

If Spain, then Andalusia. Malaga is a nice place.

But when I leave Thailand I'll go to Southern France (Montpellier) or Toskana in Italy.

that Benidorm hotel really feels like hell on earth,

imagine being stuck there with those characters in a full lockdown ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

The thing that put me off the Algarve, was that I suffered horrible Hay Fever there, worse than I did in the U.K. 

I only get it badly in some places. Eyes horribly itchy there. Don't remember it being an expensive place.

It all depends on what you need for your life. There is no one size fits all. I'm reasonably health conscious; so choose places likely to be beneficial to my health. With good health, I can more easily navigate my vessel through life ???? 

It's a very long coast line

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You obviously haven't been to Benidorm - there are more mobility scooters per square kilometre than anywhere else in the world!

Most used by overweight, middle aged women on benefits.

But don't just "dis" Benidorm, the old town is quaint and has some superb tapas restaurants and oyster bars.

Benidorm is likely a bit like Pattaya in that there are the gaudy parts; but if you don't visit the touristy parts, it's probably a pleasant place.

People have opinions about Pattaya; but I don't involve myself with that side at all. For me it's a relatively relaxing place, where I can learn to gradually decrease my stress levels in an organic way; slowly and surely, rather than looking for instant gratification and the ups and downs that go with that.

That's why you will rarely see me complain about anything in Thailand. We are all imperfect and I am part of that imperfection. So I try to improve myself and raise myself to the level where I can at least do the thing that I am pressing someone else to do.

No point in criticising others if you are a useless lump yourself.

So find a place where you can become the best version of you. Thailand is helping me do that. They don't pressure you to be perfect and stick to rules like limpets. You get a lot of leeway here. Maybe people make money from it and it's not a perfect system; but you likely knew that before you moved here. So learn how it works and learn to live in harmony with imperfection or find a place more in line with what you need.

I still love Thailand; whatever her imperfections. Same with my native country. You will rarely see a criticism from me about these things as they are all to complicated for my little brain. Too much information. 

The Thai way of not overthinking suits me to a certain extent. I keep it simple here. Communicate in an polite and friendly way and reap the benefits of learning to be a nicer; though not a totally stupid person.

Good health, (mental and physical) comes first. Everything else comes afterwards. Don't skimp on your good health. Not gluttony or excess; but good health.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Thailand is a pretty good place to 'navigate the vessel.'

Almost anywhere is good if you are a good captain. A good captain knows how to avoid the rocky and dangerous parts. Some are just too reckless and pay the price.

Yes; I knew what you meant.