Will Western tourists ever go off visiting Thailand?

webfact

On 2/10/2022 at 6:41 AM, Willy Wombat said:

If my Thai wife who hasn’t seen her family for over two years refuses to even look at airfares with all the stupid rules Thailand has in place.

How is your wife looking? Perhaps she has a problem with looking? 

Just few days ago, from our friends, two different cases arrivals from USA , residents in USA, came for a short notice visiting their family, organizing the necessary docs (are there any country accessible now without a certain paperwork?), staying one night in Bkk hotel and carry on to their family up country. After 2 -3 weeks back to USA. 

Where is the problem?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder why the government make the first priority to open travel bubble talks with Malaysia and China to boost tourism rather than with the more restrictions relaxed Western countries. In anticipation of a growing tourists from the Asian tourists and expecting the decline of the western tourists. Got to say it is the correct marketing strategy. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong paragraph

23 hours ago, thaiman said:

What is more amazing is that they actually thought it would work!  How out of touch are they with their previous tourism market of over 30mil/yearly?  Do they not know anything about tourists?  It makes me wonder, what do the Thai leaders really know about anything!

Well this is a very good question. Or they really don't have any idea about needs of tourists or, and this is waht I believe more, they just don't care about it, because they are not the ones affected by the tourism crisis in short-time. They still have their jobs and the money to spend. Unfortunately they don't have a long-time view, not looking in the future and not having in mind, that people living from tourism loose a lot of money, don't have jobs ...... They simply don't realize, that sooner or later the crisis will affect them too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Apart from  business reasons which have in reality become less justifiable due to electronic  "meetings" if that  was/is a justification who the  hell would want to  travel to the UK  for tourism? Maybe the idiot  US  citizen who  idolizes the "Royalty" that  isn't? The weather is generally....t ! Half the population speaks anything  but English that can be understood !

I've seen and heard this attitude before.

You and people with the same mindset of you are actually quietly in awe of the Brits????????even to the point of wishing you were one.

I'm right on this and you know it.

God save the Queen????????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, Isaanlife said:

Disagree.

It is not only Thailand, every country has their own rules and regulations.

Inflation has rising prices all over the globe. People have less money to travel.

The pandemic smacks many into reduced salaries or unemployment.

People have found places closer to home and cheaper.

If you are not after cheap sex, what is the point in going to Thailand?

Nicer beaches all over the world, same lower cost destinations, etc.

Disagree with you on some point Bub. Yes, every country has some rules - obviously !! But to have a rapid antigent test before you enter eateries and bars ... and risking a lengthy and expensive stay in a Thai hospital .... Thailand gets 1 st prize in the nitwit stakes. As for inflation all over the world that is BS. Doesn't deserve an example. People having less money to travel ? more BS ... people (that retained their jobs - and most did) have truck loads to spend because they were confined and unable to travel. Also, only a fool would spend thousands for cheap sex and beaches. Every country has sex and beaches. Second on the nitwit list is Bali and Indonesia. This is now a pandemic of money making by all the rip off governments and medical industries etc.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/10/2022 at 1:47 PM, tigerfeet said:

What about the expats that have been hear years that cannot get insurance because of medical and age reasons should they pack up go home leave the thousands of families that depend on their pension .? Just a thought as I am in that category

Medical insurance for the elderly is often very expensive or if pre-existing conditions were of a serious nature , you will not get a policy .  It is however a solvable problem , how ?

1/ Make 70 years of age and up , free medical treatment globally ( not likely to happen )

2/ A union of countries who are agreeable to treat over 70s free . ( Maybe on reciprocal agreements )

3/        Example ;  An expat over 70 years old to receive medical treatment abroad and the bill met by his  country of origin , that is , if his country of origin had an insurance scheme ( such as the UK has the NHS by way of national insurance contributions ) and the patient is fully paid up .

At this moment if you are an expat from the UK and think you can hop on a plane back to the UK if you have a medical problem , forget it cos the NHS hospitals and local doctor surgery's  are like dead donkeys ( post covid overworked ) and getting an appointment with your doctor can be up to a 3 week wait , or as I was told , go to the A&E , which I did and waited 7 hours and no treatment .  

55 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

The main drawing card for Thailand is cheap booze and readily available sex.

No idea how anyone could call the food great. It is edible. The only people I know that live on Thai food are skint or too lazy to cook for themselves. My wife brings hoe some occasionally. I try to feed it to my dog

Your wife brings 'hoe' sometimes. Wow your are a lucky fellow. Some bed variety hahahah

• Haha 1

Should somebody be on the phone to Beijing about this plan?

Last time I heard they have no plans to open travel for their citizens to anywhere.

So Thai-China bubble might be in the minds of someone in Bangkok, but don't think it's on anyones mind in Beijing

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 4:13 PM, Jimjim1 said:

They are cancelling only because their children are not vaccinated and the policy of vaccinating children is not yet in full swing leaving parents with no option.

So if you are going to comment on postings at least tell the whole reason and not just the bit that suits your particular aims.

Feel free to keep on complaining like there isn't problems elsewhere.

9 hours ago, superal said:

Medical insurance for the elderly is often very expensive or if pre-existing conditions were of a serious nature , you will not get a policy .  It is however a solvable problem , how ?

1/ Make 70 years of age and up , free medical treatment globally ( not likely to happen )

2/ A union of countries who are agreeable to treat over 70s free . ( Maybe on reciprocal agreements )

3/        Example ;  An expat over 70 years old to receive medical treatment abroad and the bill met by his  country of origin , that is , if his country of origin had an insurance scheme ( such as the UK has the NHS by way of national insurance contributions ) and the patient is fully paid up .

At this moment if you are an expat from the UK and think you can hop on a plane back to the UK if you have a medical problem , forget it cos the NHS hospitals and local doctor surgery's  are like dead donkeys ( post covid overworked ) and getting an appointment with your doctor can be up to a 3 week wait , or as I was told , go to the A&E , which I did and waited 7 hours and no treatment .  

England but in Scotland is no problem

On 2/10/2022 at 3:48 AM, Isaanlife said:

Disagree.

It is not only Thailand, every country has their own rules and regulations.

Inflation has rising prices all over the globe. People have less money to travel.

The pandemic smacks many into reduced salaries or unemployment.

People have found places closer to home and cheaper.

If you are not after cheap sex, what is the point in going to Thailand?

Nicer beaches all over the world, same lower cost destinations, etc.

Probably the most ignorant thing i've read on here and that's saying something

Me? Prob have at least another half dozen month or longer Thailand visits in me.

Love the culture, art, food, etc. at the same level that people go ga-ga over France or Italy. I'm more prone to a trip where I bus around the central region than go to the beach, so inflation will be less of an issue.

Laos tho, looks to be done for me with the Chinese high speed train up and running. Luang Prubang looks a bit too built up for my taste in recent Youtubes. Sakhanavet too.

So many of the atmospheric old 60's sun brick buildings have been torn down in Vientiane and they destroyed both the dining area around the fountain and the one by the river.

Whereas Phitsolanouk will not likely change much in the next decade.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:08 AM, moontang said:

Beer prices Mexico..Corona about 1.50 per liter.  My "loom"...17 USD per night...they even use hot water laundry..

20220207_134200.jpg

20220208_151634_HDR.jpg

Modela is the dogs Nutts.  First time I ever had one was about 10 years ago visiting LA

Not a Modelo fan, either.  Turns out, the Heineken brewed in Monterey, may be the best local beer.  473 ml cans (15.994 OZ), are better than the ones from Holland they sell in the US. More evidence that the long trip is bad for them, even under the best circumstances.  Paid 30.25 THB per can..so a bit less than half of Thai prices.  But, none of us expats drink much, so the yearly savings are nominal....hahahaha.

The Dos XX amber is quite good, and I would take it over Lao dark any day of the week.  Sol and Corona seem to be better here, too.  And Pacifico is quite possibly better than Tiger.  There is also real Guinness around, but I don't know the deal on it.  No 3-4 dollar bottles of wine, like US, but more 5-8 us per bottle, and not 13-20 that you see in LOS.

• Like 1

Booze is cheap in Thailand?  By what metric?  And they've proven they can't be trusted on the pour, or the contents of the bottle.  A friend bought some kind of flavored Absolut and it was easily identifiable as counterfeit...bought at Makro, HH, no less.  The counterfeiting, recapping, refilling of bottles is endemic.

Surprised no one has asked why there aren't boogers on my walls.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Booze is cheap in Thailand?  By what metric?  And they've proven they can't be trusted on the pour, or the contents of the bottle.  A friend bought some kind of flavored Absolut and it was easily identifiable as counterfeit...bought at Makro, HH, no less.  The counterfeiting, recapping, refilling of bottles is endemic.

Yet another blatant obvious scam!

Thailand, the Land of Scams.

• Like 1