Thousands of expats & tourists in Thailand could head to Malaysia soon

racket

Ah yes, a giant enema for Thailand, now those of us that are here on "real" extensions can return to the days of yore and not have to reminisce about "the old days". 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Who cares. Nick off.

What a joke of a thread. 

Its not a joke.Everybody knows people doing like that.Many criminals on the run does that.I hope thailand request mandantory criminalchecks for people applying for these kind of visas.People socalled volunteers just abusing the system.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, racket said:

This opens up a stark possibility that Malaysia could soon steal all those long-stayers, who have been in thailand during covid.

The word "steal" implies taking something from someone that they value. 
Thailand doesn't value these people.  They are effectively being kicked out.  "You're visa is expired - get out!"
So it's more like Malaysia is taking out Thailand trash for them.  Malaysia (along with the PI and perhaps even Vietnam) will be the landing zone for those tourists Thailand no longer wants or cares about.  Remember?  Thailand only wants the world's wealthy and well heeled millionaires and billionaire.  Malaysia isn't "stealing" anyone or anything.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

"There have been reports..." Please share the details.

Still need a 'travel pass' in advance of arrival, issued by a Malaysian embassy.

Seems that 7 days quarantine on arrival is still a requirement.

Apart from the above Malaysia ins a complex society and is subject to severe muslim laws and regulations.

I've visited (usually 2 to 3 weeks at a time) to do many consulting projects. I don't find people in shops etc., that friendly. The 'entertainments', str8 and gay, common in Thailand are available but on a much smaller scale and way less open.

Malasyia is a complex mix of cultures and religions and they don't mix much. Food is fine, actually excellent in areas like Georgetown. 

I was never impressed by the 'service' at the 4 and 5 star hotels I stayed at and I found staff less than helpful. e.g, I asked the hotel to call the airport and check what had to be booked to have a wheelchair on standby when my taxi arrived at KLIA to depart for Thailand. I listened as the hotel staff spoke to numerous departments at the airport with no result.

Eventually my own company office hired a car which had whelchairs available to take me to the check-in desk where I asked for the airline (Malaysian) to provide a wheelchair from check-in to the aircraft door. 

Disinterested staff insisted that I must go personally to the Malaysian admin. office in the basement of the airport to arrange a chair. With the help of 2 other passengers I got there and again nobody interested until a snr. person suddenly appeared and instantly everybody looked busy.

The snr. lady asked me 'are you being taken care of?' I responded NO! She became quite irate and yelled at all the staff and ordered one young man to get a wheelchair immediately and stay with me until I was in the aircraft. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Def lovely food in Penang. I like the one dish places where some family has been selling chicken and beansprouts for a hundred years -and growing the bean sprouts in the basement.

But TripAdvisor is full of reports about surprise bills at sea food restaurants. I had a 100% markup over a crab misunderstanding that was not a misunderstanding. Can't fault the Indian food, but not a baht cheaper than on Soi 11. The med tourism prices are Bumrungrad+.

For me, Penang was a good long weekend (and I stayed a week) one and done.

Langkawi nearby is a good add on, but again, not nearly as interesting or food-glorious as a Thai island. Mark Weins has a couple good of Langkawi video's that I wish I saw before bothering to go.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bbko said:

The same statement could be made for Thailand, get rid of the criminals, the fake ED visas, the fake covid extensions, the fake volunteer visas, the falsified bank statements and Thailand could return to it's glory days.

"Glory days"????????????????

How long ago were they? I've been visiting and living in Thailand for many decades, but I don't remember any "glory days".

Perhaps staying in an atap A frame and sharing a camp bathroom with cold water and squat toilets qualifies as "glory days" for some, but I preferred hot water and an ensuite hut, and by the time they were readily available the really great beaches were already being covered by concrete and the flashpackers were jacking up the prices.

BTW, the only problems I ever had were with Thai scammers and the decrepit transport.

7 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Def lovely food in Penang. I like the one dish places where some family has been selling chicken and beansprouts for a hundred years -and growing the bean sprouts in the basement.

But TripAdvisor is full of reports about surprise bills at sea food restaurants. I had a 100% markup over a crab misunderstanding that was not a misunderstanding. Can't fault the Indian food, but not a baht cheaper than on Soi 11. The med tourism prices are Bumrungrad+.

For me, Penang was a good long weekend (and I stayed a week) one and done.

Langkawi nearby is a good add on, but again, not nearly as interesting or food-glorious as a Thai island. Mark Weins has a couple good of Langkawi video's that I wish I saw before bothering to go.  

I was put off Langkawi when I found out there is no public bus service there, and have to use taxis.

KL is ok,  Bukit Bintang has plenty of good restaurants and bars.  Lots of parks and gardens scattered throughout KL,   and it's alot cleaner looking than Thailand that's for sure. China town is ok for a visit,  Twin towers and many top shopping centers with top notch restaurants are available around KL.

People are friendly,  hotel rooms are cheap or on par with Thailand,  however you can find a decent clean modern hotel room much better than in Bangkok if you look around.   How may hotel rooms in Thailand have you seen where everything is broken or the AC hasn't been cleaned for 3 yrs, and generally the room is old and dirty.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, steven100 said:

hotel rooms are cheap or on par with Thailand, 

???????????????????

Not on Penang they weren't. I had a tiny room in a guest house that cost way more than a decent hotel room in Thailand ( not in Bkk though, but Penang would be the equivalent of Pattaya, and Pattaya hotel rooms definitely cheaper ). Perhaps KL is equivalent to Bkk, but I didn't stay in Bkk much either.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

How may hotel rooms in Thailand have you seen where everything is broken or the AC hasn't been cleaned for 3 yrs, and generally the room is old and dirty.  

Hardly any. Generally everything worked, and the rooms were cleaned properly.

Some were not but that was rare.