Extremely expensive accident, anything/what I can do?

On 2/15/2022 at 1:42 PM, robblok said:

wow, totally irresponsible person. The OP is at fault just imagine it was your car.

The OP is liable and even if the car owners can claim it it will cost them money. 

Your so mistaken this is Thailand it is an accident 

He doesn't have to pay <deleted> 

1 hour ago, arick said:

He is rechless for leaving bathroom cleaner on the washing macine? 

20 hours ago, arick said:

Your so mistaken this is Thailand it is an accident 

He doesn't have to pay <deleted> 

No, it is not recklessness. Recklessness would require a conscious decision to ignore the risks of one's actions. I don't think this is what is described.

This is more like an instance of negligence: a failure to exercise ordinary prudence in one's actions (or inactions). In this case, leaving an open container of bleach where it could be blown over and its contents damage others' property may be construed as a negligent act.

Either way, one can be held liable for damages, even in Thailand. Whether it clears the economic threshold to justify legal action is another matter.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 7:54 AM, jak2002003 said:

It will cost the owners nothing if they have car insurance.  

If they dont then they are stupid.

Op did not intentionally vandalise their cars.

If I was the victim and had first class insurance I probable wouldn't want to involve my insurance for this.

Just to eliminate the risk that my premium would go up for the next year.

I would be sorry for the OP but insist on a paint job via the car dealership.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, merijn said:

If I was the victim and had first class insurance I probable wouldn't want to involve my insurance for this.

Just to eliminate the risk that my premium would go up for the next year.

I would be sorry for the OP but insist on a paint job via the car dealership.

Says a lot about you as a person if you would make an ESL teacher pay out of their 30k a month salary. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Says a lot about you as a person if you would make an ESL teacher pay out of their 30k a month salary. 

Who says that he is a teacher earning 30 K ?

Besides that why would the victim has to suffer (potentially) financially for sometimes outside his responsibilities.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, merijn said:

Who says that he is a teacher earning 30 K ?

Besides that why would the victim has to suffer (potentially) financially for sometimes outside his responsibilities.

It's called 'compassion', and it is practiced in Buddhism. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2022 at 8:27 AM, swm59nj said:

I see by some of the responses , some would have acted they knew nothing about it.  And shed responsibility .  Nice to see we have some quality expats living in Thailand. 

That's a bit of an unwarranted slur on expats in general, it would have been more accurate to say "Nice to see we have some quality expats on Thaivisa"!

On 2/15/2022 at 8:44 AM, The Fugitive said:

got it done via a second hand car dealer who is also a friend for 11,000. Time to call in a favour, if the vehicles aren't new or cherished and you go about it the right way you could reduce your outlay considerably.

Nice of you to offer to call in a favour from your dealer friend for the OP.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Well it gets even worse, it rained heavy overnight in phuket and, there was still bleach on condo wall, and a different car was parked below last night.........and so now a third car is now damaged, Condo didn't put a CONE out to stop people parking there (To be fair I didn't cross my mind either) but unlucky to really unlucky.................so total damamge is looking at 120k baht at least

I was with you at first but now your OP is looking very odd. 

How could anyone know that there was dried bleach on a wall from a few days earlier and then know that heavy rain, instead of washing the diluted bleach down the wall, managed to dump it, still concentrated on to another car?     

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 7:11 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, it's a shame the Juristic manager didn't barricade the area. 

It's also a shame that rain was able to reconstitute unnoticed, two-day old dried bleach from a wall into concentrated bleach again and dump it off the wall onto a car as opposed to washing it, diluted after tropical rain, to the ground.

• Like 1

Without pics to aid I'm still trying to figure out how this happened. Just about every condo balcony I've ever been on in Thailand has a surface water drain. Why didn't the drain cleaner run down the drain?

For it to land on the cars they must have been parked half in and half out under the balcony. (unless the wind blew it as spray?).