Thailand to consider cutting second COVID-19 tests on international arrivals

snoop1130

1 hour ago, yogi yogi said:

mr fernandez owes me money for a cancelled ticket and they wont answer the phone. i will fly nok instead now 

Yeah, he still owes me for 4 flights cancelled by AA in 2020. I can whistle Dixie cause he ain't gonna refund one cent.

47 minutes ago, Durian ong said:

Any idea the cost if tested positive ? 7-10days QT. Boomtown charlie for the participating hotels/hospital

There is a USD50k insurance that you have to buy that will cover the cost.

2 hours ago, grain said:

Yeah, he still owes me for 4 flights cancelled by AA in 2020. I can whistle Dixie cause he ain't gonna refund one cent.

Me too, and further it's now totally impossible to contact AirAsia to ask questions/seek clarity about anything, all of their phone numbers now closed and no e.mail address available, for

- Refunds etc

- Clarity before booking a new flight

- If the customer selects the 'class' of ticket (more expensive) which allows changing dates/flights 2 times, there is no way to contact AirAsia to request a change of date/time. I assumed this would be possible thought 'manage my booking' online but NO.

All of the above is strange to me in terms of modern business practice. Being good/excellent at CRM (Customer Relationship Management) is highly valuable and companies who today are head of their competitors in terms of clever/compehensive CRM reap strong benefits in terms ofrevenue and margin. Dr. Tony F. is no doubt a clever and switched on business man, it surprises me that AirAsia has taken this 'not possible for the customer to contact AA' appraoch.

Yes they have their robot chat bot which is as useless as xxxx on a bull, highly frustrating and annoying for customers and a total waste of time.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

There is a USD50k insurance that you have to buy that will cover the cost.

If you are refering to the Thai policies, you must have missed last week's news - they no longer have to provide cover for asymptomatic cases or very mild infections, There is a set criteria that has to be met before they are required to provide cover.

Very few foreign insurers provide such cover.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

If you are refering to the Thai policies, you must have missed last week's news - they no longer have to provide cover for asymptomatic cases or very mild infections, There is a set criteria that has to be met before they are required to provide cover.

Very few foreign insurers provide such cover.

Does the Thai government allow home quarantine for mild cases in the case of foreigners? 

3 hours ago, Spock said:

And after the positive test begins the private hospital scam which is certainly keeping many people, including me, from returning to Thailand. 

Is that the 'private hospital scam' that there's scant evidence of even existing?

7 hours ago, superal said:

PCR tests on omicron can sometimes fail to detect the virus in the early stages . A pre flight and on arrival pcr test could be possibly be carried out within a 48 hour period and both tests miss the virus detection . I am not going to be popular either that when I say that the safest bet would be a pre flight and on arrival PCR test followed by a 5 day quarantine and an end of quarantine test .  Either that or open up world travel to fully vaccinated tourists with proof of booster certs . Herein lies the problem on believing that all certs are genuine. Finally there have been some major steps with the use of anti viral oral medicines that are proving a success in hospitals and thus mitigate the use of ventilators , keeping patients out of I C U and freeing up the high level of intensive nursing . However omicron is not to be underestimated as it can be fatal or render life changing illnesses , especially to the non- vaccinated . Food for thought , some countries are charging non jabbed patients for treatment in their I C U wards

You are right there Sherlock, your suggestion is not appreciated.   You should seek a position with the Thai government and join the team that comes up with all the rediculous beaurocracy currently ensuring would be tourists to other more accomodating coutries.

Edited by Havenstreet1940
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is that the 'private hospital scam' that there's scant evidence of even existing?

It starts with the thai hotel hospital partnership there are many warnings as there are reports those in thailand will not post on social media for fear of prosecution under thai laws that protect businesses

• Like 2

One small step that could lead to the lifting of the ridiculous, (potentially) expensive and complex restrictions to entering Thailand. No normal tourist will be prepared to put £2000 aside for an enforced stay in a very expensive hotel just in case they are tested asymptomatic positive for infection with omnicron. Effectively doubling the cost of their holiday

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, racyrick said:

What a joke. A CEO with a vested interest in trying to improve his business at the expense of the people's health.

Most infections are caught on the second test!!!!

More than likely caught locally, although obviously that's essentially my opinion after applying a little logic.

I imagine the CEO has grasped what the problem is. And doesn't want to be shunting plague planes around the skies either.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Pre flight PCR achieves nothing, even with a negative test you could become positive between time of test and time of flight.

Whilst i agree that one may still test positive between time of test and flight surely the airlines must  have a responsibility to protect their passenger's from any form of sickness.

Due to the variant being extremely contagious would you really want to get on a flight ( in close proximity with others) with a high possibility that you would also become infected and have your holiday ruined for at least a week.

I have caught, what they would determine a mild case of covid,  and although its bearable you have a very sore throat for 3 days , normal cold symptoms and generally tired for maybe 5 days.

The common symptom's normally associated with Covid are,  in a lot of cases no longer found,.

I was informed of this as i had none of them.

7 minutes ago, thisisrascal said:

That omicron should not be considered a major concern. I thought that was quite obvious, darling.

No it wasn't at all.

Your wee story reminds me of a 100 year chain smoker saying that proves smoking is healthy.

Get it now snookums?

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Unfortunately the damage has already been done with the double tap Test and Go. Its going to take a lot more than doing away with the second test now to get any good numbers of real tourists to come. What a complete mess they've made of this entry system.

Tourists Returning to Thailand Find Closed Bars, Empty Streets

The country’s attempt to jump-start tourism may be hurt by the absence of the very businesses foreign visitors come for.

Thailand’s strict travel regulations, such as requirements to take multiple Covid tests and provide proof of medical insurance with at least $50,000 coverage, will also limit the type of people who come.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-16/pandemic-has-thailand-s-tourists-returning-to-closed-bars-and-empty-streets

I live in CM plenty of bars open, plenty of places for people to have a good time. Do not believe every thing you hear from Bloomberg

13 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I think the best course of action to move forward is to have a 1 night ASQ with a PCR test for those who are fully vaccinated.

In other words you favour them keeping tourists out still? Because no tourist in their right mind would risk testing positive on arrival and having their hard earned holiday ruined. 

The best course of action would be to scrap the pointless arrival tests all together. Omicron is rife in Thailand, so getting a few extra cases arriving on planes will make fek all difference to the bigger picture. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Does the Thai government allow home quarantine for mild cases in the case of foreigners? 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-hotel-isolation-measures-issued-in-english-82880.php

This is only for Phuket, and apparently only relevant to hotels participating in the program. As normal tourists don't have "home" in Thailand, this is probably close to the best they can get.