Thai Tourism Minister insists on collecting 300 baht ‘land entry fee’ on all foreign visitors, says will be to help tourists and transparent

webfact

"The Minister revealed that the idea of a land entry fee was firstly raised into discussion following the 2015 explosion at the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok, in which many foreign tourists were also injured."

Perhaps had Thailand had better intelligence on the Erawan Shrine bombing it could have been avoided.  Instead they would just like to take the easy route and tack on an entry fee.

• Like 1

He also insisted that the collection process would be transparent and accountable to the public and not go into anyone’s “pocket”.

There is a big discrepancy in the understanding of what the word "transparency" means when it comes to the use of taxpayers' money in this country. As long as independent control institutions are disabled and not functioning, there will be no transparency.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You think the 300 baht at the airport will cover the 300,000 bill they likely will present you with.... rather surreal I say.

How many of the millions of international tourists will actually need any treatment though ? And what percentage that do will not already be adequately insured or without means to pay ? 

For every 1 person that will be a bt300,000 "burden on the State" there will be hundreds of thousands who contribute who will not be. 

Therein lies the reality.

• Like 1

"He also insisted that the collection process would be transparent and accountable to the public and not go into anyone’s “pocket”."  Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/22/thai-tourism-minister-insists-on-collecting-300-baht-land-entry-fee-on-all-foreign-visitors-says-will-be-to-help-tourists-and-transparent/

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, findlay13 said:

So we wont need to have insurance to enter now????? 

Of course not, how can you pay for something that you have already paid for?

Oh! Wait! This is Thailand, a country ruled by a bunch of unelected clowns, of whom most are Military Academy educated soldiers.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

There is no stopping greed, hmmm, wonder if expats will have to pay this 300 baht as we are not tourists. I think unless we have a Thai surname we are all tourists then, cough, cough.

Greed is like Theft.

It starts with a small amount being taken, and then it progresses to larger, and larger amounts as time goes by.

More often then not, people that steal, are caught because they become greedy, and the greedy fall because they are caught stealing

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nightfox said:

What's the big deal as just about every country in Asia charges a foreigner to enter their country. Only difference is Thailand calls a entry fee where most call it visa on arrival just like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam as last time I checked it was $30 USD + to enter those countries. 

Fairy nuff regards visa-free entry but those who have visas are also charged. It’s a money-grab. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nightfox said:

What's the big deal as just about every country in Asia charges a foreigner to enter their country. Only difference is Thailand calls a entry fee where most call it visa on arrival just like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam as last time I checked it was $30 USD + to enter those countries. 

I don't need a visa to enter Vietnam

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Vietnam entry was free for Brits, I used to go there a lot before COVID.

Philippines and Malaysia also free entry.

Laos, Cambodia and China were the countries charging for entry.

As for Thailand, don't you need insurance (Thailand pass) before they let you in?

If I wasn't already here, I wouldn't be coming, Thailand has nothing to offer me that I can't find in Vietnam/Philippines/Cambodia.

Bang on! Thailand is not "heaven" on earth! I dont care any fee's if that is reasonable, just in case you did not remember in Phil has exit fee. What is like 300 bth , if i remeber right that was 600 peso last time when i visit. And Filipino pay double.

Edited by 2 is 1

yeah so charge 300 baht to everyone and then stop charging 300-400 baht to visit national parks then?

I was coaxed once to go to Pala-U waterfalls by a Thai lady I (don't care about waterfalls) and didn't know they were going to charge anything, Thai person with me very cheap can't remember how much but like 15-30.. 300 for me, the drive there was several hours but i considered telling her to go on and just sit in the parking lot not because I can't afford it out of principle..

I went in since lady wouldn't have went by herself and certainly made a fuss about it later if I turned around. then I wish I didn't.

wouldn't have missed much to be honest

He also insisted that the collection process would be transparent and accountable to the public and not go into anyone’s “pocket.

Bet he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he was saying it. It would be the first time in the history of Thailand that no one had their hands in the till. 

10 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

lol! Minister Phipat is a smooth talker,  but any tourist knows  he's a cash cow

Do you not mean that he looks upon tourists as "cash cows"? However, if you mean that he is a "cash cow" I am sure that lots of tourists would like to talk to him!

20 minutes ago, recom273 said:

He also insisted that the collection process would be transparent and accountable to the public and not go into anyone’s “pocket.

Bet he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he was saying it. It would be the first time in the history of Thailand that no one had their hands in the till. 

As another poster put it - why mention it at all? He is virtually admitting that corruption is rife in LOS 

It does not matter. It will have no impact on anything. Tourism is dying a slow death here, and the extreme cowardice of the goons is prolonging the misery, keeping people out of work, discouraging the few who have not forgotten Thailand, and ruining lives. Do they care? Not one iota, it would appear.

1200x800.jpg

31932.jpg

20200915_185824.jpg

20211013_133204.jpg

20211028_120729.jpg

20211029_095608.jpg

30212916-01_big.jpg

1586789055085.jpeg

covid-19_khaosan_rd-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mancub said:

How many of the millions of international tourists will actually need any treatment though ? And what percentage that do will not already be adequately insured or without means to pay ? 

For every 1 person that will be a bt300,000 "burden on the State" there will be hundreds of thousands who contribute who will not be. 

Therein lies the reality.

If you believe ever baht collected will be put aside for these instances, I think you are very optimistic. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There were claims of 100 million baht in unpaid medical bills, so ~ 350,000 tourists would pay that off with the new surcharge.

This, assuming tourists return at a reasonable clip, 25% pre-COVID, ~ 10 million will yield a cool 3 billion. 

My first question: So all tourists get free emergency medical care? (Uhm, no.)

Hey don't ask me ask it to those who think this is the right thing to do that it isn't a problem to make the charge that it is their country so if one chooses to live or visit we should just bend over and take it up the behind with no grease and say thank you for the privilege of visiting Heaven. 

Nothing we say or do is going to stop the charges but at least we can bitch about it here for the moment.

What is going to happen when one does get sick or in a accident wherever you are they be acting ignorant with that blank stir " I know nothing not understand " when it comes time to checkout expect to be charged double because their courts say you have it therefore you can afford you refuse they hold your passport next thing you know your on Asean asking you need a Go fund? ????

12 hours ago, nightfox said:

The visa fee is not going to someones pocket or to a private org. The so called insurance,  which insurance company? ???? what about travellers with own insurance?

Insurance companies do not like to issue a duplicate policy to anyone who has that particular insurance. 

Why should we subsidise your tourism industry/ infrastructure? The government should have their own budget for that plus all those hospitality businesses pay taxes which I  believe should go towards the development of that industry. 

It is all a RIP OFF ALL AROUND. 

Will be transparent and accountable before the local community ????????????????what about being accountable to those who get ripped off? The Pay MASTERS !!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

He must be talking about the Mesozoic, and him then coming from the Paleozoic. Plenty of fossils from both eras...

Palaeozoic - lets try and educate our American friends here.  Yes - there are lots of fossils in both eras - but dinosaurs occur only in the Mesozoic !

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"He also insisted that the collection process would be transparent and accountable to the public and not go into anyone’s “pocket”."  Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/22/thai-tourism-minister-insists-on-collecting-300-baht-land-entry-fee-on-all-foreign-visitors-says-will-be-to-help-tourists-and-transparent/

To make it easier for tourists who don't have baht on them, they will probably allow payment in other currencies, e.g. US$15 or GBP10 instead of the 300 baht. (But no, no receipts here...; "Solly, mistah, out of papar.")

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1