Thailand plans to attract one million Middle Eastern tourists by end of 2022 after Thai-Saudi restored ties

webfact

1 hour ago, tonray said:

More than likely what will happen is more illegal immigration. In Kuala Lumpur, from 2015 to 2020 the "Arab" quarter now looks like a mini Lebanon/Syria with scores of those citizens who became refugees after conflict/economic downturns there. The food is great but Thailand certainly isn't ready for that.

Refugees are not illegal immigrants.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Refugees are not illegal immigrants.

This is true, turning up and claiming refugee status is completely legal... but .. I don't think Malaysia has singed up to the Geneva Convention on Refugees, in which case you'd need to arrive on another visa to be "legal" , if not you've overstayed your visa  ?  Australia and many other nations who have has singed up to said convention ... and ... just ignore it and treat refugees appallingly.

Edited by BumGun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

How about building a replica of Mecca somewhere in LoS?  That could attract a few weary travellers post-Haj. 

Or, better still, maybe negotiate with the Saudis to allow the Thai "Mecca" to be an acceptable alternative to the exhausting real thing.  Marching around a rock in temps of 50C takes it out of one.

Dot a few cranes around at precarious angles for a frisson of excitement! 

7 minutes ago, BumGun said:

This is true, turning up and claiming refugee status is completely legal... but .. I don't think Malaysia has singed up to the Geneva Convention on Refugees, in which case you'd need to arrive on another visa to be "legal" , if not you've overstayed your visa  ?  Australia and many other nations who have has singed up to said convention ... and ... just ignore it and treat refugees appallingly.

I was especially pleased you mention how Australia abuses the agreement they have with the UN on refugees .

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know why they would presume this...The Middle Easy does not solely contain Saudi Arabia. Saudis made it here previously by simply going via Bahrain or Kuwait. 

Phiphat he failed the geography exam

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blazes said:

How about building a replica of Mecca somewhere in LoS?  That could attract a few weary travellers post-Haj (...)

Or even better, to show Thailand's "multicultural " grandeur, build a few mosques in every Thai town, complete with a high-rising minaret and a muezzin, calling the millions of Middle Eastern tourists five times a day to prayer... Locals won't mind, and the planes will be coming tail to tail, I'm sure. ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Sure...The insurgency is south isnt very active so pour some catalyst Jihadis from middle east. 

The insurgency is very active and killings have been ramping up again this year.

There was a bombing in Yala last week that killed a Police volunteer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1