Will we become culturally starved here in Thailand?

webfact

15 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

YouTube and other websites still working. I want culture, shows, or concerts, I watch it there.

Sightseeing and museums, yes, that's what I've really been missing over the past 2+ years.

Yes of course but videos are not the same level of experience. The thing I most missed was attending world class live theater (more than mass appeal musicals) but in the US that's kind of a culturally elite kind of thing and deeply damaged by the pandemic. Also world class art museums with changing special exhibits. I moved here past the age of being into pop music concerts though I'm not knocking them. Hard to ever forget seeing such acts as Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, The Who, Iggy Pop, Red Hot Chile Peppers, and of course The Dead numerous times.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Starvation, culturally speaking, is a relative term.

In order to answer the question posed in the above topic, we should compare ourselves to the reality of history, and then decide whether or not the OP's question even makes sense in the context of reality.

15CREXPLAINER-web1-superJumbo.thumb.jpg.c992cac4d41744ce39725c4b379b2f2a.jpg

Maybe the OP should step into a time machine, and live a few days during the Cultural Revolution.

Doing so might affect his warped lens.

Get a better perspective, and be thankful for what you already have, and then, if you are lucky, you might reap further rewards as our world takes baby steps to democracy.

Unfortunately for us, however, these baby steps toward democracy may come too late to save us from ourselves.

And we will probably succumb to the fate of our own making, and before we finally realize that the Keeling Curve was not just the end of a hokey stick.

Surely, with little doubt, we are doomed by our unwillingness to see the future and then cooperate on a global scale.

After so many years, with absolute no change in behavior, and with the intensity of CO2 emissions rising, there is really no reason for optimism.  And, the window of opportunity for a livable future is almost closed. 

We are almost at a point where work outdoors in places in India will no longer be possible.  And if this situation worsens, as we know it will, then what?

This will be a true cultural revolution when millions and billions are unable to survive in their own countries.

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If it was culture I were seeking, I would go to Ronnie Scott's.

Saw Georgie Fame on his return from a US tour there from front row table with some mates, next to Colin Moynihan’s table  and in front of DPM  John Prescott and his “secretary”. During the performance Brian May wandered in with Anita Dobson and far from acting like VIPs they just stood to the side enjoying themselves. A night to remember

Not much I miss from the MotherLand, but plays (off broadway) or symphony orchestra, more concerts at local small venues, as were plenty in Philly metro, PA, USA.   Unless living in Krung Thep, nothing available in the other smaller metros.  KT's selection a bit limited, and not my taste.

International acts, few that bother, for what ever reason, aren't cheap, considering the venues & market.   Did see EC at Impact, most expensive ticket I've ever paid for any concert, anywhere, but smaller venue, and more for the wife, as everyone should see at least once.  Probably my 10th time.????

4 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Plenty of culture here, been to over 1.000 concerts, 6 in the past two weeks. But then I did not come here to see western culture in Thailand.

Living in bangkok?

Could you please tell how to find out what's on?

what were the six?

Many thanks. Wholeheartedly agree with your post.

13 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Living in bangkok?

what were the six?

Google is your friend ... simply search what ever you're interests are.   A few online mags for Krung Thep, along with venues run their own pages.   Impact has an 'events' page.   Ticketmaster Thailand also.

53 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Saw Georgie Fame on his return from a US tour there from front row table with some mates, next to Colin Moynihan’s table  and in front of DPM  John Prescott and his “secretary”. During the performance Brian May wandered in with Anita Dobson and far from acting like VIPs they just stood to the side enjoying themselves. A night to remember

Thank you very much for recounting this experience.

But, as you know, when we, here, think of a Moynihan, we sometimes think of:  Moynihan who represented New York in the Senate from 1977 to 2001. He served as Chairman of the Senate Environment Committee from 1992 to 1993 and as Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee from 1993 to 1995. He also led the Moynihan Secrecy Commission, which studied the regulation of classified information.

Very doubtful that Daniel Patrick Moynihan would attend Ronnie Scott's; not much is secret there, maybe.

Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's is classic.  And, of course you know who was sitting in the audience.....guys from Led Zeppelin, as I recall, and maybe a few other notables.

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Queen was in Thailand.  Why did I have to go to Korea to see them.

This is misleading in that most of these performers were a long long time ago.

Thailand has been out of the main big shows as they do not have the fan base.    

Thais could not afford Queen or any of the large international groups.

If you ask the normal Thai teen they will fly to Korea for K POP before they will attend a concert here.

Thais can afford Queen, but from my observations most of the ordinary Thai folks like their own music. I can't imagine bringing my gf to a Queen concert, it is not their thing, there would be whinging to get out from the tenth minute onwards.

BTW saw Queen with Adam Lambert in Sydney 2020,  stunning performance.

Will we become culturally starved here in Thailand?

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Coldplay, Queen, Madonna, and Bruno Mars.

The Lion King, Phantom of the Opera, and Miss Saigon.

I don't think missing out on the above will leave anyone culturally starved.  Barely even peckish.

can't believe the writer of the piece failed to mention the clash concert at thammasat university in february 1982. indeed, the cover photo for their combat rock album was taken on a railway line just outside bangkok.

Edited by it is what it is

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, thousands of incredibly talented people have been forced to leave the entertainment industry just to survive, working elsewhere.

And I am sure all those incredibly talented people will come back to the entertainment industry, independent of what they did in the last years.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

That is typical of Brian May. My mate is stage manager at Brixton academy and one night there was a knock on the door and Brian May strolled in. Was a down to earth fella

7 hours ago, sipi said:

Here in Australia rock concerts are picking up again. I've been to a few, but won't be going to any more.

Being surrounded by fat, drunk, sweaty, tattoo'd, 65 year old white women just doesn't appeal to me any more.

It used to appeal to you?

Edited by Yellowtail
ww
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Except for Jesus Christ Superstar. He and Time Rice hit the top and then it was down hill from there. 

Nothing ALW does is culture. Its the nadir of meaningful entertainment just a ťùřď rolled in glitter.

My opinion is neatly summed in the video I posted above.

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

Thais can afford Queen, but from my observations most of the ordinary Thai folks like their own music. I can't imagine bringing my gf to a Queen concert, it is not their thing, there would be whinging to get out from the tenth minute onwards.

BTW saw Queen with Adam Lambert in Sydney 2020,  stunning performance.

Saw them in S.K. took the GF she loved it.

3 hours ago, Grecian said:

Living in bangkok?

what were the six?

The Mrs tells me these days, local Wats will always have posters around with the dates, Otop have concerts, facebook have a number of info pages and ads on fm95 and fm 90. The 6 were at local Wats, lamyai, Monkhean, Monsit, talent contest, likay etc. Other fans tell you as well as the singers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Saw them in S.K. took the GF she loved it.

Saw Clapton at Mueang Thong Thani.

Took my then girfriend-now wife.

Rubbish acoustics, even she knew it was absolute cack.

Almost broke off the engagement.

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Saw Clapton at Mueang Thong Thani.

Took my then girfriend-now wife.

Rubbish acoustics, even she knew it was absolute cack.

Almost broke off the engagement.

I was at that show, got the tickets free, and they were about the best seats I've ever had for any concert. 

I thought it was a great show. and it sounded great where we were sitting. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:58 AM, hotandsticky said:

If you ask most 'normal Thai teens' they can't afford a bottle of pop, let alone a K POP concert.

might save their eardrums.  culture is someone with a guitar and a 1000 watt speaker?

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And I am sure all those incredibly talented people will come back to the entertainment industry, independent of what they did in the last years.

You never know, they may have found a useful productive job in the mean time.

• Haha 1

I believe we're barking up the wrong proverbial old tree.

It's certainly not Thais that are starved by way of particular cultural pursuits as well as greater cognitive abilities. 

That might apply to other special entities.