Can we still afford to shop at Thai supermarkets?

webfact

Thailand is no longer a third world country  so it is no longer a good place to retire on a fixed income . Having said that UK is suffering big inflationary costs of up to 20% as is much of Europe. Days of cheap food are now just a memory. If you can't afford to live in Thailand plan to go home.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

It's good to check whats available online. 

Many items are cheaper.

The monopolistic nature of two families owning Tesco, 7/11, Big C's, and Makros  doesn't encourage competition.

However, you need these places for meats, poultry, etc.

I like shopping at the markets also. 

A little eye candy and its nice to get out and about. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

"I would say my personal food shop has gone up around 20% in the last six months, especially if I stick to the expat-type style supermarkets."

These expat markets selling western foods have always been premium priced....if u want western food maybe live in the west or if you MUST have it in Thailand be prepared to pay major premiums.  Never ceases to amaze me how many falangs move to Thailand and then try to eat/drink like they are back in their home country.

Read it again maybe you’ll understand better what he was trying to say.

• Like 1

I hadn't really noticed. Farang food/drink has always been expensive here, I gave up comparing it to UK prices years ago. An extra 10 or 15 Baht here and there doesn't really register but I've found the longer I am here the less I crave farang food anyway, apart from my obligatory Sunday roast at the local Irish Pub washed down with a few draught pints I'm not that fussed.

The only thing I noticed was the cost of filling up the car. For the first time a few weeks ago it was over 2000 Baht to fill it up but I'm fortunate in that I don't pay for that.

If people are really struggling they could turn a negative into a positive and try not drinking for a few days every week and eating less. Or maybe eat local food that is still cheap here and also pretty healthy like Chicken, fish, eggs, bananas etc. Save money and improve your health at the same time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

"I would say my personal food shop has gone up around 20% in the last six months, especially if I stick to the expat-type style supermarkets."

These expat markets selling western foods have always been premium priced....if u want western food maybe live in the west or if you MUST have it in Thailand be prepared to pay major premiums.  Never ceases to amaze me how many falangs move to Thailand and then try to eat/drink like they are back in their home country.

I used to eat 90% Thai, 10% Western, as you get older your gut tolerance also changes (many older Thais are unable to eat the same Thai food they were able to eat before) this now has changed to the other way round for me

3 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

Much the same as what's the difference between a bar girl and a beach girl? Actually they're both the same except for the price. Cheers.

Beach girl is already wet.

Saying that i expect the bar girl is as well.

Prices are horrifying, particularly western foods.

We have moved out to the boonies now and live off food sold from the street (literally, although there is a tarpaulin underneath the food).......cheap as chips (probably no longer a relevant expression).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I sometimes go to supermarkets, because I still like to eat some strawberries, raspberries, parmesan cheese, blueberries, avocados, beetroot and occasional packet of McVitie’s digestives.

Strawberries and avocados are in season in Chiang Rai as I write, in the local market and on the street stalls. 80 baht a punnet, 50 baht a kilo respectively. Very tasty.

I buy fruit and vegetables in season, when the prices come down. I can't remember the last time I bought them in a supermarket, way more expensive and no better in quality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Prices are horrifying, particularly western foods.

We have moved out to the boonies now and live off food sold from the street (literally, although there is a tarpaulin underneath the food).......cheap as chips (probably no longer a relevant expression).

Cheap as chips still relevant.

I buy my chips frozen from Makro, the price varies 99bht/2Kg-135bht/2Kg.

Same product & manufacturer, huge price swings, been like this the past 7 years.

When it's 99bht/2Kg, I fill up the freezer, when it's 135bht/2Kg I wait ............

Me and my boy eat chips nearly every day!