Do you think a lot of new Expats will move to Thailand once the Pandemic becomes Endemic?

SiamAndy

Having lived in Thailand I know things are not all unicorns and rainbows. Things like dealing with immigration and their sometimes arbitrary rules (Remember the TM30 debacle?), government rules that change month to month, air quality during burning season, Farang pricing not only in national parks but also by merchants and hospitals, Taxi/Tuk Tuk overpricing, and bad drivers are  just some things expats in Thailand put up with.

However, with the world a mess, inflation running rampant, the cost of living becoming untenable in the west,and  crime going through the roof in the west as well, do you think a lot of new expats will move to Thailand after the pandemic becomes endemic? In reality, it won't be an escape to paradise (we know better)  but more so, an escape from something worse back in the west.

Thoughts?

Intelligent people who research will do what they do, and not regret their decisions. 

Others will come to forums or read  headlines, and follow those who made the same mistakes with regret.

With this statement, obviously everyone's view of home country & here is quite different:

"In reality, it won't be an escape to paradise (we know better)  but more so, an escape from something worse back in the west."

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Intelligent people who research will do what they do, and not regret their decisions. 

Others will come to forums or read  headlines, and follow those who made the same mistakes with regret.

With this statement, obviously everyone's view of home country & here is quite different:

"In reality, it won't be an escape to paradise (we know better)  but more so, an escape from something worse back in the west."

Even more curious within a selected circle would be to ponder as to why it's such a conscious concern if Farang are here long term or not....as in: the end all would be if Farang were here in long term droves or not. 

Who gives a ****.

Guess it's all of a cognitive priority type of thing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

do you think a lot of new expats will move to Thailand after the pandemic becomes endemic?

Depends on too many things yet to come to make an informed decision IMO.

What new rules will immigration come up with?

Will the supply of bar girls willing to marry old farangs be sufficient?

What will be the real cost of living when the exchange rate with inflation rampant western nations is taken into account?

Etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'd certainly like to escape back to Thailand, but that's because it's too expensive to live a decent life here now.

IMO any without large financial resources are going to find themselves in the doodoo before it's all over.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

How many moved to Thailand when they learned that Dengue Fever was endemic?

All 'endemic' really means is that the government has given up trying to eradicate it in favor of medicating it.  People will still move to Thailand, just as they have in the past, but I think the numbers of new expats will actually be lower than in the past because of the newer, harsher visa requirements.

I agree on "less", but IMO it will be because 80s style inflation will return to destroy people's economic worth. I don't recall huge numbers of farangs emigrating to Thailand in the 80s.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, I think hardly any new western people will arrive here.

Cambodia/Philippines/Mauritius are just as good, easier to enter, and no need for $25000 you can't spend in a local bank.

If I wasn't already here, I wouldn't be coming.

I wasn't aware that Mauritius has lovely maidens available for a pittance. However the politics makes it a bit iffy for me anyway. I once would have made the Philippines my base had I asked the lovely Filipina lass I met in Cyprus for her address, but the fact that they need shotgun wielding security guards puts me off there.

I once wanted to visit Cambodia, till I read it was over run with Russians and later Chinese.

Soooooo, for me LOS remains the cheese.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

From what I have learned after living and not left Thailand since Jan. 2020, I would not recommend Thailand to anybody who asked me for advise!

Before I lived in Thailand, but worked in Europe, and got the timeouts I needed to enjoy Thailand more. 

Living here 24/7 is not for me, so I will start travelling again to reset myself after a few months here.

I do not know any better since my experience is based on shorter stays (3-4 months at time and more than one trip except in Brasil) in Florida, Spain, Portugal, Phillippines, Malaysia, and Brasil. Every destination have their flaws, so Thailand is still ranking high in comparison.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, sirineou said:

We are leaving Thailand for Greece April 3rd, We will still keep the house here for a little while to see how things work out. We might be trading one set of problems with another, Time will tell. 

As far as things in Thailand going back to what they were pre-pandemic? at the very best it will take a long time.

As others said , air travel will be diminished and perhaps more expensive, border runs will become more difficult. etc. 

Well since I will be traveling about that same time domestically, here's a little going away present from Barry Gibb of the BeeGees with a little poetic license:

We take the pressure and we throw away
Conventionality belongs to yesterday
There is a chance that we can make it so far
We start believin' now that we can be who we are
Greece is the word

[Chorus]
Greece is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got a groove, it's got a meaning
Greece is the time, is the place, is the motion
Greece is the way we are feeling

Edited by jerrymahoney

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Very few. Tens of thousands are leaving. 

A friend of mine uses a foreign lawyer in Bangkok, who is one of the top attorneys around. He said his office cannot find enough hours in the day to meet with expats who are leaving, with their Thai spouse or family, and dealing with legal aspects of real estate, businesses, and wills for their remaining Thai families, properties, etc. 

He said he has never seen anything like it, in the 30 years he has been in practice here. 

Millions of young Thais are trying to find a way out too. Woe is Thailand. Where is the hope for the future? 

The dinosaur creeps are moving this nation backwards at a breakneck pace. Truly regressive reptilian leadership.

Truly regressive reptilian leadership ?????

Crocodile tears Mr Spider