"Chillin'! Tourist sitting down at a shrine: Thai press investigate "inappropriate behavior"

webfact

I was stationed in Nakon Phanom in 1973 when this happened.  As I recall the story,  the missionaries took photos then dropped the film off for processing (remember those days??!).  Someone at the shop spotted the photo and reported it to authorities.  

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/01/10/archives/thais-expel-2-americans-or-desecrating-a-buddha.html#:~:text=The two men%2C Joseph K,a Buddha statue while Mr.

For years, when I would tell the story, I'd try to  imagine some NY tourists going into St Patrick's Cathedral and sitting on the altar for photos.  That'd only be half as bad.

I once called a friend our for Facebook posting a picture of him sitting his ass on the stoop of a Temple shrine. He was pretty upset , I had to apologize.

Later I noticed Thai guys doing it all the time. Some even drinking beer on one next to a 7/11.

A post using English slang language has been removed. 

A post with a trolling image about grammar usage has been removed. 

An off topic post about Ukraine has been removed.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

As would my wife.

It seems as though only the ultras are offended but the ultras of any group will always be offended by something.

Instead of being offended perhaps one or 2 people could have explained to the tourist quietly and politely what the problem was.

It has nothing to do with the press, the MSM or the social media other than as a witch hunt.

Wonder what's the Thai translation for 'karen' or 'snowflake' is

Personally I think the spirits might enjoy the company.  I always make sure they can read my device over my shoulder when sitting on or near shrines, as surely they are interested in current events.  They seem to enjoy it, as I always have a breeze.  Thanks for that.

Edited by Jotnar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I was stationed in Nakon Phanom in 1973 when this happened.  As I recall the story,  the missionaries took photos then dropped the film off for processing (remember those days??!).  Someone at the shop spotted the photo and reported it to authorities.  

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/01/10/archives/thais-expel-2-americans-or-desecrating-a-buddha.html#:~:text=The two men%2C Joseph K,a Buddha statue while Mr.

For years, when I would tell the story, I'd try to  imagine some NY tourists going into St Patrick's Cathedral and sitting on the altar for photos.  That'd only be half as bad.

I remember that incident. I was at a party at the US consulate when there was an urgent call for the Consul to get those clowns out of jail. He decided that there was no rush .........

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The tourist immediately got up and was shocked that what they were doing was wrong, said Wiroj, who said he would have advised her himself before the other person came.

So no harm done then?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Foreigners arriving, no common sense and very disrespectful. 

If they did that at my house the wife would hit them with a stick. 

Your missus sounds really fun!

• Haha 1