Car seats set to be mandatory for children up to age 6 in Thailand - more laws to curb street racing

webfact

29 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You're well behind the times on that one. CAR PASSENGERS MUST WEAR SEAT BELTS

But this new law will be just another one for the public to ignore.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Looking at the link I saw the bit about puerile riding in the back of pickups but I always thought that was illegal anyway but just never enforced as is still the case now. 

I knew about the rules on buses but again that wasn't enforced when I travelled a few times on NCA which to be fair is one of the better companies I think. It might be better if as well as the video showing things like their bus being tilt tested with the annoying sickly backing tune they showed one of unbelted passengers being thrown around in a crash. Particularly since passengers not wearing belts are a danger to others including those who wear belts.

I actually had to use a nice pink bus from Khon Kaen to Mahasarakham on Thursday. It had no belts that I could see and there were 2 people sitting on small pink stools including one next to the driver. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Making it law might not mean much when enforcement is nonexistent, 

but in an accident, not having buckled up,  no helmet and now child not in seats mean there's reason for insurance to not pay out as the victim is not legal

I don't know how it works here but normally an insurance company would have to pay something but they would be within their rights to substantially reduce any compensation if the victim was partly responsible for their own injuries.  Something people don't always seem to be aware of. 

• Like 1

They need to put their money where their mouth is then and bring Childrens Car Seats down to a price people can afford; have you seen the price of them here ?

Anyway; more window dressing to make it appear to The World (yes; that big place outside the Bubble that Thailand lives in ) that all is well for Health&Safety in La La Land !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

How are they going to put car seats in a two door pickup and accommodate the family?

Tow a caravan with rows of seating 2 X 2 with centre aisle. 

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

They can't even enforce a motorcycle helmet law so I'd wager this one will be ignored too.

Agree. Maybe they will change the law, mandatory helmet for child in car.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RandiRona said:

How they are going to put car seats on back of open pickup??

Not to mention motorbike with sidecar. 

I suppose mounting children to the front of the motorcycle is still okay. Safety first. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2