Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Didn't you say you sat in the chair for the time it took to drink the coconut (say 25 minutes), PLUS had a sleep in the chair for another 45 minutes (and only got out of the chair when they woke you up)?

It does sound like you pretended to want the chair only for drinking the coconut, but actually you wanted to get free deck chair rental under the guise of buying a coconut. 

I'm not sure who the scammer was here ????

I got a nice little chuckle out of this comment. fanks mate ????

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Didn't you say you sat in the chair for the time it took to drink the coconut (say 25 minutes), PLUS had a sleep in the chair for another 45 minutes (and only got out of the chair when they woke you up)?

It does sound like you pretended to want the chair only for drinking the coconut, but actually you wanted to get free deck chair rental under the guise of buying a coconut. 

Yes, shameful, isn't it? 

I'm sure when tourists have the same interaction with these Thai locals they will sing the praises of Thailand's tourism industry to friends, family, and the internet, but hey, it's all about the customer / tourist being unreasonable.  ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, shameful, isn't it? 

I'm sure when tourists have the same interaction with these Thai locals they will sing the praises of Thailand's tourism industry to friends, family, and the internet, but hey, it's all about the customer / tourist being unreasonable.  ????

Depends, if the tourists don't try to scam the Thais then I'm sure they'll be treated nicely ????‍♂️

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Deck chair 50 Baht (All day)

Coconut 20-30 Baht

Op paid 100 Baht

Too many ‘Stockholm syndrome monkeys’ on this thread who side with the crappy behaviour of locals… 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Depends, if the tourists don't try to scam the Thais then I'm sure they'll be treated nicely ????‍♂️

Just pay double, more, get ripped off without care……   You’ll be treated nicely… 

You can be seen coming…..  no problem, smile…  no problem…. play dumb…. no ?…. Oh you are ?…. Vendors just love you !!! 

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just pay double, more, get ripped off without care……   You’ll be treated nicely… 

You can be seen coming…..  no problem, smile…  no problem…. play dumb…. no ?…. Oh you are ?…. Vendors just love you !!! 

pffft. just pay the roi neung and move on with your life. only poor people and moralists worry about such trivial amounts ????

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

Comprehension isn't your strong point is it?  I never made a deal to drink my coconut and go.  My deal was to sit in the deckchair AND also drink a coconut juice.  No time limit was ever discussed.  Since none of these vendors had any customers, imposing a time limit seems rather moot, doesn't it?  Is relaxing for 45 minutes in a chair that I had rented too much to ask? ????

Pedantic much?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For the very same reason when we go to a restaurant we don’t expect to be told to get out as soon as we have finished eating.

Makes me laugh, saw something along those lines in Hungry Hippo, a group of 4-5 Indians occupying places, a couple of them had eaten earlier, but the others had come in to enjoy the AC and despite being asked to, were refusing to go or order! If the place is busy, they are losing money, and obviously depend on reasonable turnover. Or some come into a GGB and stand staring at the show refusing to sit and order.

It is also perhaps why some expect to get a free bag after shopping!

I managed to park up near the beach at Bang Saen once as I came early, got me a lovely scratch down the side for free!

Edited by jacko45k

On 5/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, simon43 said:

I don't lose my temper, but will tell them to their face in a calm voice that they are liars and cheats, 

My father taught me to be honest and to speak honestly, even if it pisses off the opposing party.  I have zero qualms about pissing off liars and cheats 

Aren't you afraid of a beat down? I'd just ghost them.

7 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Farangs scam Thais ha ha ..give me a glass of what your drinking mate ..Thais are born to scam just paid 5 times the fee of my wife to enter a national park Yep 5 × not just double ..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

It wasn't a one time deal, the OP had the same problem, not once, not twice, but three times.  The only common thread in this self induced drama fiasco is the OP.

Your logic is flawed: Op is not the only commonality in this issue. 

When I have 3 ayhole taxi drivers in a row wanting to overcharge me would you also suggest that I am the issue as it happened to me 3x ??? 

Numerous other / older reports also highlights that the deck-chair vendors themselves are a troublesome bunch, just as the Jet Ski vendors are... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have an MA in Thai from Chulalongkorn University ????  My Thai is pretty good.

I never realised that asking the vendor how much his coconut drink is, and then asking if the chair is free if I buy his drink would cause so much confusion. These vendors must have pretty small brains!  But if I follow your advice and book the chair for the whole day and then buy a drink, might the vendor stop me from leaving early?  After all, empty chairs don't encourage new customers.  He might force me to sit all day on his chair

Waste of time, you should have studied for a Phd in Coconut and Deckchair Applied Economics.

• Haha 2

The old scammers are dying. If they charged Thais 100 baht each to sit in a deckchair, they can kiss goodbye to their business.

Any surprise to see the huge rise in the 50 baht beach mat vendors?  50 baht and everyone in your group can sit on it. 100 baht each? Not a chance.

Foreigner price ???? 

50 baht for a deckchair and 50 baht for the coconut. simon43 paid the right price in the first place....and that is coming from someone who isn't a fan ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, simon43 said:

I do love these kinds of threads ????  It brings out the best and worst in different posters!!  Do you think I should ask tomorrow how much to drink their coconut juice if I stand next to the deckchair, but don't sit in it??

You've handled replies like the best of trolls.        ????

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Reminds me of Phuket after the tsunami.  The Thai locals were begging tourists to come back, and as soon as they did, they started scamming them again.  They can't help themselves here.  They would rather scam a baht than earn a baht. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/12/2022 at 9:45 PM, BritManToo said:

I always assume people working streets and beaches are criminals waiting for their opportunity to prey on me. So far this assumption has never let me down.

May I suggest ....... 200bht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hy-8020-1-hayashi-i580390074-s6779242569.html

Its also poetic justice to think that if you do this and others see you the idea might just catch on and spread.   Or go a step further and buy these in quantity and sell them for a profit beachside.  But of course long term it's unwise to "win" in circumstances such as these.  Better to win quietly simply by not playing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

Its also poetic justice to think that if you do this and others see you the idea might just catch on and spread.   Or go a step further and buy these in quantity and sell them for a profit beachside.  But of course long term it's unwise to "win" in circumstances such as these.  Better to win quietly simply by not playing. 

Beach mat vendors have done exactly this. Now hundreds of people sitting on mats at the beach.

In other news; groups taking those chairs along with their own umbrellas in their pickups to sit on the beach.

Can you see a native group of four paying 400 baht to sit on some deckchairs whilst paying a premium for food and drink? 

They need to wean themselves off from the rip-off of foreigners. Hard to do I guess when so many people profit from it.

• Like 1

Only 3 years ago I walked the Pattaya promenade every day. The coconuts were only 40 baht and the beach chairs were 40 baht. Sometimes when the authorities cut down the overhanging coconuts they would usually sling a few free bees to the local beach chair people. So I think a 100 baht for a coconut and 15 minutes in a beach chair is a fair price. The extra charge on top after being told it was free for a short time is a rip off, I wouldn't bother sitting at any of them either. But I will say, at Jomtien the beach chair vendors are much nicer and with better service.

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

How much do they charge at Jomtien for a beach chair these days? 

I don't know now as I haven't been back to Thailand since 2019, I think then it was 40 or 50 baht, not more than that. And the ice cold leo's were around 80 baht a big bottle, that was around opposite soi 2 Jomtien.

Let's break down the cost in this mini-drama, how much is a beach chair on Pattaya's Beach Road?

How much is a coconut drink?  And how much did the OP say he offered? 100b?

On 5/16/2022 at 9:51 AM, Bruno123 said:

They need to wean themselves off from the rip-off of foreigners.

I think you will see market forces, and competition from neighboring countries, play a part in the demise of these rip offs in the future. 

Edited by Leaver