Cultural Misunderstanding or Cultural Incompatibilty?

sqwakvfr

Many homeless people have mental problems, so their behavior might not be rational to us, not limited to Thailand.

Thais usually don't tip, so when you tip it might take them by surprise and they don't know how to react.

To show appreciation Thais give fruit or these gift baskets with "chicken essence" etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

I've been told the same thing when the I go to dinner with the entire Thai family and they pass me the check to pay. Sounds like pretty convenient and well orchestrated Thai thinking if you ask me!

When that happens early in a relationship, you know how the future will be. 

I have experienced I was expected to pay, I offered me to pay, we shared the bill, and they payed when I was invited. Edit not on different occasions with different families. 

You know when you are on the way being taken for a rollercoaster.

However if she is together with you and she invite the family for a dinner, then its her meaning you who are supposed to pay. Listen and learn and understand the differences. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thais don't usually tip, esp. in restaurants.

As a foreigner in Thailand, my tipping has changed over the years. While I usually tipped a lot at the beginning, I now, mostly, just tip taxi drivers and my barber. I also tip lower sums. The main reason is that, nowadays, I often hear people, who don't know me, calling me 'kee-niaow' and 'kee-nok', just to taunt me, so I adjusted my tipping to their low expectations. 

As for beggars, at least in Bangkok, most seem to be 'a fraud', either brought-in Cambodians, or scammers, while the 'real' homeless are rarely seen begging. (They just put up their plastic cup, as opposed to the aggressive Cambodian beggars, who are placed at strategic points by Thai gangs.)

Yeah, I'm the same: I don't tip much any more.

Mostly, because Thais don't tip. If my daughter was a waitress in a Thai restaurant/bar, for example, she'd get nothing -- so why should I tip people who don't tip others?

Also, service here is usually <deleted>, particularly where I hang out (farang spots). The tourist industry here is where you'll find so much scum, and it reflects in their service. Also, things are generally way overpriced in farang places, so the owner should be able to pay his staff well. Anyway, up to them.

I only really tip my barber and my kid's tutor. We'll I'd call that an end-of-year bonus/holiday pay, rather than a tip, but still.

It is rare to find service that compels me to want to tip here.

• Like 2

You gotta love the Indians.....they walk into a massage parlor and try to negotiate a foot massage for 100 baht each, cos there is half a dozen of them. Lol 

Then, while getting their massage, they are directing the masseuse on exactly how to do it, and being a general nuisance.

Then, they leave without leaving a tip, maybe 20 baht for all of them.

My EX does massage and the stories she tells me about the Indians really crack me up.

I just think, som nam na. Nothing wrong with a taste of your own medicine once in a while.

• Like 2

Honestly, the service staff here are so entitled, compared with where I come from (where people actually appreciate little things).

Here, if you give something, it's often considered stingy or not enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and we rarely go out to eat. My wife is a great cook anyway.

Many tears ago when I was working and living in BKK I used to give a tip if I was eating out and I also gave to only 2 beggars by the BTS stations.

Now I tip my barber in the big village 4 times a year and give him 2 x 10 baht coins, one for each of his kids.

• Like 2