Thai Beers - which one is your favorite ?

The Ultimate Thai Beers Showdown  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, sipi said:

Warm Chang from a tall bottle in a cracked plastic cup with a fist full of ice.

About all that's on offer around here.

when Chang was closer to 7% ABV, that was forgivable... just... but now, no way.

• Like 1

The original Chang in brown bottle, avg 6.4%. They changed the formula in 2015, now it sucks. Leo sucks least of the lot. 

Where u finding Amarit??? Do tell. Remember drinking it here in 90s and made a brief reintro about a dozen years back, but faded away again. It was decent. ????

• Like 1

Now I am switching between Singha and Heinecken but I seldom drink beer. Reassuring that Chang doesn't come first, always wondered what kind of chemicals they used to come up with the stuff.

• Like 1

Was sipping Beer Laos (Dark preferred) as not a fan of Thai beers.

Then discovered Snowy (not listed) which was definitely a step up.

Then discovered Kopper (not listed) which is my preferred now, though

don't really sip much.   Even less since can't find it locally for the past

6 months or so.

Would actually prefer drinking an Ale, Porter, or Stout (not Guiness), but not paying the silly prices they want for them here.  Guess beer drinking isn't much of a priority for me.   

Snowy & Kopper are both Singha produced.

image.png.11b82331f6092b2a331a61316b57ed56.png

Edited by KhunLA

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Where is Tapper and Chang Cold Brew in your list please?

... and Beer Lao (lager and black). Yes I know it's not a Thai beer but...

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Where is Tapper and Chang Cold Brew in your list please?

And there is Cheers Blue and Cheers Red. And Leo and Leo 8. And there are at least two Weizen beers, plus a Passion Fruit Weizen from Cheers (which I once bought in error. Very sweet but not too bad). Someone has also mentioned Red Horse. Poorly set up poll if it doesn't include all the beers.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, proton said:

But not for drinking, ????they are all poor beers, Cheers Extra, Tapper, Red Horse are the only ones I bother with. Chang was ok until the latest drop to 4.8%, will not buy now. None are up to Lao dark of course. Had one of those SIngha Reserves, just another fizzy lager slightly stronger.

A drop by 0.2% in alcohol seriously makes a difference to a beer? I guess this is just your little protest. ????

I voted Chang (as the Thais also prefer in my experience) I actively don't enjoy Leo. In fact I'd rather a dark beer, but hey. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

A drop by 0.2% in alcohol seriously makes a difference to a beer? I guess this is just your little protest. ????

I voted Chang (as the Thais also prefer in my experience) I actively don't enjoy Leo. In fact I'd rather a dark beer, but hey. 

Dropped from the original 6.3% when in brown bottles, now tastes like dishwater, why do they do it and how low will it go?

Chang if Thai beer…. Tired a few times to choke down a Leo…

if country oriented Belgium has some great beers… ah and America Buttwiper Not! Original Coors

for nostalgia cause 70s wasn’t licensed to sell east of the Mississippi…

Grandpa in law always had a frig full of Coors original nothing else for family and guests..

us 21 ish year olds who were on the lower end of the pay scale early in life enjoyed a many free beers in the converted garage man cave (admiral in those days)....his drink of choice whiskey on the rocks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcho said:

Why isn't Tiger on the list, that's my choice. But with the one's on the list, I am  with Chang

Isn't Tiger from SIngapore? Chang is now a girls drink, as for Leo that will be on offer at a party tonight, have to have a drink first. leo tastes of nothing at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcho said:

Why isn't Tiger on the list, that's my choice. But with the one's on the list, I am  with Chang

Tiger is okay. The Tiger "Light" beer was my go-to favourite, but they seem to have stopped making it for some reason.?

I don't enjoy any other Thai "beers". Luckily, Beer Lao and Asahi are available in local marts at decent prices now.

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thai beer is only rivaled by Serbian beer, and the mass produced American beers, in terms of the very low quality. Poor grade of hops, barely, and the production process seems to be entirely lacking in pride. Typical of the big monopolies. Even a large production beer, like Beer Laos blows away any Thai beer, hands down. Thailand desperately needs a vital craft beer movement, and the youth are ready to mount it. If only the dinosaurs would stop protecting their "bankers" and move out of the way. In other words, allow some progress, you mindless simpletons! 

Boon Rawd Brewery, which makes Singha, and ThaiBev, which brews Chang, the country’s best-selling beer, are owned and run by two of the wealthiest families in Thailand. Through longevity and political influence, these two breweries have dominated Thai beer for nearly a century, forcing out or crushing any competition, foreign or domestic. And we all know how they easily accomplish this. 

Thaopipob Linjittkorn, or Thao as he is more popularly known, a lawyer and homebrewer, was very publicly arrested in 2017 for making beer. He used that publicity to win an election to Parliament in 2019, along with 80 other members of the Future Forward Party. This progressive, pro-democracy party included in its platform a detailed plan to deregulate the beer industry, as well as a proposal for the legalization of marijuana, citing both as ways of putting money into the pockets of small businesses and local farmers. 

The opposition that Future Forward was up against is a military-backed, hardline government that supports the duopoly with strict regulations that allow it to control over 99% of Thailand’s estimated 180 billion baht ($5.8 billion) beer industry. The duopoly was originally made untouchable with the first Thai Liquor Control Act in 1950, a law which has been amended several times since to push legality even further out of reach of any small brewer. Prayuth's administration has done much to reinforce the isolationist and nationalistic policies that Phibul established in the 1940s and ’50s, and has called again and again for citizens to display a certain level of “Thainess,” which the PM defines in part as unquestioning loyalty to the government. Do not be disobedient! 

For small breweries, it requires production of at least 100,000 liters (852 barrels) but no greater than 1,000,000 liters (8,520 BBLs), and stipulates that all beer must be sold on the premises. At the same time, the minimum amount for an industrial license was increased from one million liters to 10 million liters (85,200 BBLs) per year, as well as requiring that the brewer demonstrate available capital of at least 10 million baht ($320,000).

Just to make sure small brewers were thoroughly intimidated, the rewrite also increased inflated penalties. Fines were increased from their original, almost quaint 200 baht ($6) for possession of bootleg alcohol to 10,000 ($300). For actually brewing without a license, fines were increased from 5,000 baht ($150) to a range of 50,000–100,000 baht ($1,600–$3,200), plus jail time. Reporting in 2017, The Bangkok Post estimated that in order to meet the new regulations, a brewer would need to have a billion baht—around $30 million—in start-up capital. 

For some, craft beer is associated with anti-establishment politics. “It’s very similar to the French Revolution, which started from a cafe in Paris, where people drank coffee,” says Taopiphop. “The fuel of the revolution is not coffee any more, it’s craft beer.” Taopiphop adds that, after the 2014 coup in Thailand, many pro-democracy activists chose to meet in Bangkok’s craft beer bars.

If only the younger Thais were allowed to express themselves, be inventive, be creative, be industrious, and use their smarts and ambition, Thailand could have a future. Craft beer is needed here, and so are the young entrepreneurs. But, that future appears to be suppressed at every turn by dinosaurs, who only answer to money, money, and even more money. Money is the God of lesser men. The money first attitude is holding back Thailand on so many levels. 

At Bangkok’s Dok Kaew House Bar, a craft beer bar based in a 100-year-old house – which owners say is also inhabited by five ghosts – locals perch at the bar sipping pale ale and cider. Co-owner Nuttapol Sominoi hopes for change. “It’s a monopoly, a closed market, where there is no competition,” he says.

Thailand was signatory to an ASEAN charter some time ago, that allowed for the importation of alcoholic beverages across all ASEAN borders, tax free. We should be seeing Bintang, Beer Lao, Bia Saigon, Bia Huda, Bia Ha Noi, Dagon, Saigon Special, 333, and many other good beers on ALL supermarket shelves now. What happened? Likely the same goons who prevent the craft beer industry from exploding here, got to the same corrupt goons, and stopped it in it's tracks. A broken charter. No problem. No wonder we only have access to super low quality local beers, and a small number of imports. 

I heard this. Anyone know if this is true? Beer Lao was originally brewed by Czechs under Russian supervision in Laos with no additives and 30 day natural fermentation. Thai beer purportedly contains 30 per cent rice (mandated by government to increase Thai rice sales in country) and many additives to accelerate fermentation to 3 days. He cites Heineken in Malaysia as an example, as the taste and hangover is completely different (ie. better) than the Heineken of Thailand. Any brew-experts here who know the truth? 

extract from above ,

For small breweries, it requires production of at least 100,000 liters (852 barrels) but no greater than 1,000,000 liters (8,520 BBLs), and stipulates that all beer must be sold on the premises. At the same time, the minimum amount for an industrial license was increased from one million liters to 10 million liters (85,200 BBLs) per year, as well as requiring that the brewer demonstrate available capital of at least 10 million baht ($320,000) ,

The best beer I have tasted in Thailand was in the Pullman hotel in Khon Kaen . They brewed their own blond German beer which was quite strong . However I doubt if they ever came close to the minimum production levels required as mentioned in your article .  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcho said:

Already mentioned, originally Singaporean, although:

"Tiger beer is a beer brand from Singapore. It is a light lager beer with an alcohol volume of 5.0 Vol – %. As an alternative Thai Asia Pacific Brewery  offers Tiger light with only 2.0 Vol – % of alcohol."

Phuket Beer also didn't make the list, and find that better than those that did, though a bit of a mark up price, by a bit.  Definitely has the nicest looking bottle.

image.png.af1d9fd6d7ef05b3552936f44b96057d.png

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Then discovered Kopper (not listed) which is my preferred now, though

don't really sip much.   Even less since can't find it locally for the past

6 months or so.

I really liked Kopper but can no longer find it. Have you tried Black Dragon Celtic Amber? That is close to it. Also Riceberry is quite good too for a darker beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Predictably shoddy and suspicious poll, as the OP has found it necessary to omit the growing loveliness and quality of Thai-made craft/micro brews. 

Pedantically, today Beer Lao could be classified as a Thai beer [even though it really isn't], as most of the Beer Lao sold in Thailand is bottled here.....not being the case up to 5-6 years ago. 

Mai phen rai.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Thai beer is only rivaled by Serbian beer, and the mass produced American beers, in terms of the very low quality. Poor grade of hops, barely, and the production process seems to be entirely lacking in pride. Typical of the big monopolies. Even a large production beer, like Beer Laos blows away any Thai beer, hands down. Thailand desperately needs a vital craft beer movement, and the youth are ready to mount it. If only the dinosaurs would stop protecting their "bankers" and move out of the way. In other words, allow some progress, you mindless simpletons! 

Boon Rawd Brewery, which makes Singha, and ThaiBev, which brews Chang, the country’s best-selling beer, are owned and run by two of the wealthiest families in Thailand. Through longevity and political influence, these two breweries have dominated Thai beer for nearly a century, forcing out or crushing any competition, foreign or domestic. And we all know how they easily accomplish this. 

Thaopipob Linjittkorn, or Thao as he is more popularly known, a lawyer and homebrewer, was very publicly arrested in 2017 for making beer. He used that publicity to win an election to Parliament in 2019, along with 80 other members of the Future Forward Party. This progressive, pro-democracy party included in its platform a detailed plan to deregulate the beer industry, as well as a proposal for the legalization of marijuana, citing both as ways of putting money into the pockets of small businesses and local farmers. 

The opposition that Future Forward was up against is a military-backed, hardline government that supports the duopoly with strict regulations that allow it to control over 99% of Thailand’s estimated 180 billion baht ($5.8 billion) beer industry. The duopoly was originally made untouchable with the first Thai Liquor Control Act in 1950, a law which has been amended several times since to push legality even further out of reach of any small brewer. Prayuth's administration has done much to reinforce the isolationist and nationalistic policies that Phibul established in the 1940s and ’50s, and has called again and again for citizens to display a certain level of “Thainess,” which the PM defines in part as unquestioning loyalty to the government. Do not be disobedient! 

For small breweries, it requires production of at least 100,000 liters (852 barrels) but no greater than 1,000,000 liters (8,520 BBLs), and stipulates that all beer must be sold on the premises. At the same time, the minimum amount for an industrial license was increased from one million liters to 10 million liters (85,200 BBLs) per year, as well as requiring that the brewer demonstrate available capital of at least 10 million baht ($320,000).

Just to make sure small brewers were thoroughly intimidated, the rewrite also increased inflated penalties. Fines were increased from their original, almost quaint 200 baht ($6) for possession of bootleg alcohol to 10,000 ($300). For actually brewing without a license, fines were increased from 5,000 baht ($150) to a range of 50,000–100,000 baht ($1,600–$3,200), plus jail time. Reporting in 2017, The Bangkok Post estimated that in order to meet the new regulations, a brewer would need to have a billion baht—around $30 million—in start-up capital. 

For some, craft beer is associated with anti-establishment politics. “It’s very similar to the French Revolution, which started from a cafe in Paris, where people drank coffee,” says Taopiphop. “The fuel of the revolution is not coffee any more, it’s craft beer.” Taopiphop adds that, after the 2014 coup in Thailand, many pro-democracy activists chose to meet in Bangkok’s craft beer bars.

If only the younger Thais were allowed to express themselves, be inventive, be creative, be industrious, and use their smarts and ambition, Thailand could have a future. Craft beer is needed here, and so are the young entrepreneurs. But, that future appears to be suppressed at every turn by dinosaurs, who only answer to money, money, and even more money. Money is the God of lesser men. The money first attitude is holding back Thailand on so many levels. 

At Bangkok’s Dok Kaew House Bar, a craft beer bar based in a 100-year-old house – which owners say is also inhabited by five ghosts – locals perch at the bar sipping pale ale and cider. Co-owner Nuttapol Sominoi hopes for change. “It’s a monopoly, a closed market, where there is no competition,” he says.

Thailand was signatory to an ASEAN charter some time ago, that allowed for the importation of alcoholic beverages across all ASEAN borders, tax free. We should be seeing Bintang, Beer Lao, Bia Saigon, Bia Huda, Bia Ha Noi, Dagon, Saigon Special, 333, and many other good beers on ALL supermarket shelves now. What happened? Likely the same goons who prevent the craft beer industry from exploding here, got to the same corrupt goons, and stopped it in it's tracks. A broken charter. No problem. No wonder we only have access to super low quality local beers, and a small number of imports. 

I heard this. Anyone know if this is true? Beer Lao was originally brewed by Czechs under Russian supervision in Laos with no additives and 30 day natural fermentation. Thai beer purportedly contains 30 per cent rice (mandated by government to increase Thai rice sales in country) and many additives to accelerate fermentation to 3 days. He cites Heineken in Malaysia as an example, as the taste and hangover is completely different (ie. better) than the Heineken of Thailand. Any brew-experts here who know the truth? 

Great, in depth post.  I'd love to read a write-up by you  about the amazing con Thai Bev pulled on Carlsberg back in the early 2000's. They got Carlsberg to build them a brand new brewery which was to produce Carlsberg in Thailand, then when the plant was finished, reneged on the contract and produced their own Chang instead.  Carlsberg, which was once a pretty big player in the market pretty much disappeared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1