British embassies emphasize they cannot pay expat hospital bills

31 minutes ago, Excel said:

But if you exit the country you still need a Thai pass to return currently, for which you will need to show insurance,  even if you have an extension on a non O, I think I am correct in saying that

That's correct Excel--I live up near the Laos border and was going to have a few days there--they have the high speed train , through to China (which I would give a miss)  or Luang Prabang--lovely place, but yes lots problems on Thai side-get insurance if you are coming back etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's an irresponsible reply many healthy older people cannot get insured. 

Even if true, Is that something new then ?

The original post is a reminder, not a new course of action from the embassies. issued as a consequence of recent incidents.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, samui99 said:

I think the $3 million, is lodt in translation and hoping it is 3 million THB, as it also mentions you require $10million for 1 month to get Thai pass.

Yes, it's definitely not US$3Million - not a chance.

My very comprehensive policy doesn't even have US$3 million of cover, it's nearer to US$2 million and that costs thousands of pounds a year and I'l not even 50 yet.

US$3 Million = 103 Million Thai Baht

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, flexomike said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, that's how I am reading it as well. In fact this is old ground that's being covered a number of times. I'm also confidant that should there ever be serious changes in policy regarding non O visas, those that are already in would be 'grandfathered' anyway.

29 minutes ago, flexomike said:

They didn't grandfather those that came in on OA visas

But I'm not talking about an OA visa, I'm talking about non imm O visa which is the one normally used to obtain an extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Obviously the "$" was a typo, and it's 3 million baht, not dollars. That's quite reasonable, considering a lot of retirees are in the Death Zone, and the last years of life tend to be the most expensive in terms of medical care. It is hardly fair to foist those costs on to Thai taxpayers or hospitals.

I suspect that an alternative would be offered to people who cannot get insurance, which is to post 3 million baht, rather than the current 800,000, in a Thai bank in order to qualify/renew a visa.

The changes, if enforced, will likely cull the ranks of the retired expat population, but this probably stems from the fact Thailand has been stuck with a lot of deadbeats.

So then change the annual needed amount in the bank or through the 12 monthly deposits to total 3 million THB for the year for an extension. Is that to much to ask....oh wait that's 250k thb a month, looks like some will need that agent or go back home if they can't.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Surely when you say 'some 12 month extensions' you refer to the Non Imm O type annual extensions that the majority of expats on retirement or marriage extensions use? It needs money in the bank guarantee to extend but no insurance.

Wrong OA extensions based upon retirement do need proof of insurance at extension time.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

But I'm not talking about an OA visa, I'm talking about non imm O visa which is the one normally used to obtain an extension.

Not for all, mine is an extension based on an OA visa I came in on and that was prior to the mandated insurance for OA visas which started in October of 2019.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, it's definitely not US$3Million - not a chance.

My very comprehensive policy doesn't even have US$3 million of cover, it's nearer to US$2 million and that costs thousands of pounds a year and I'l not even 50 yet.

US$3 Million = 103 Million Thai Baht

Why not save your money and just do 6 monthly or 1 year health check that's what I do at 75 next b/day.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not for all, mine is an extension based on an OA visa I came in on and that was prior to the mandated insurance for OA visas which started in October of 2019.

you must have gotten your extension in Phuket than, that is the only one that I have heard of doing this, I live in Rayong and came in 2016 I needed the insurance for my last three extensions

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RafPinto said:

If this goes through, many will have to leave.

That's 10 Million Baht

That's the actual cover I signed up for.

At todays US forex of 34.32 that is actually 102,960,000 thb.

Perhaps there is a mis-translation somewhere along the line

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The article is in error.

It is 3 million  baht.

And applies only to the O-A visa and retirement extensions based on same.

To add to Sheryl’s post.

Mandatory health insurance for an OA visa and retirement extension of appeared in Oct 2019 with a 40/400k coverage.

It was announced some time ago that in Oct 2021 the coverage will rise to 3 million baht for new OA visas and in Sept 2022 for retirement extensions ( extensions from an OA visa by basis of marriage remain exempt from insurance ).

The options to rid yourself of the health insurance burden from an OA are.

A) Get married 

B) Leave the country ( with no re-entry permit ) and start again with an O visa or via visa exempt etc

I chose plan B.

The cheapest premiums for me, on a retirement extension from original OA visa, rose from 7,700 baht to 26,900 baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

you must have gotten your extension in Phuket than, that is the only one that I have heard of doing this, I live in Rayong and came in 2016 I needed the insurance for my last three extensions

Extension at CW here in BKK for the past two years in October and requiring it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grain said:

My retirement ext is due in July, I'll be doing it in approx 4 weeks time. So what happens in 2023? Am I going to need this damn insurance. I'll be 75 then, probably I can't get it. And isn't that's what the 800,000 THB in a Thai bank all about? If I fell ill or had an accident then I do have a considerable amount of money, on hand here in Thailand, to cover any such issues. 

Well, if I do have to have US$3 million comprehensive medical insurance, which I seriously doubt I can get, then I guess that'll be the end for me. 

Read the topic. This is for retirement visas issues by the embassies abroad, typically O-A visas. It doesn't concern the Non-O retirement extensions. If you are on O-A, let it expire, enter with tourist visa and then convert to Non-O retirement.

I did this last year when my O-A visa expired.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Obviously the "$" was a typo, and it's 3 million baht, not dollars. That's quite reasonable, considering a lot of retirees are in the Death Zone, and the last years of life tend to be the most expensive in terms of medical care. It is hardly fair to foist those costs on to Thai taxpayers or hospitals.

I suspect that an alternative would be offered to people who cannot get insurance, which is to post 3 million baht, rather than the current 800,000, in a Thai bank in order to qualify/renew a visa.

The changes, if enforced, will likely cull the ranks of the retired expat population, but this probably stems from the fact Thailand has been stuck with a lot of deadbeats.

This won't change the things much, many don't have even 800k and use agents to get visas. With 3 mil expect the agent fees to triple at least.