I was given the middle finger in Pattaya for stopping at a zebra crossing using my hazard lights.

jack71

I'd file that under no good deed goes unpunished. The guy probably thought the OP was telling him to hurry up and get off the crossing. Hence the middle finger.

Could have been any nationality, although I suppose at present blaming Russians for everything wrong in the world is a lay-down misere.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

I was staying at a resort that had lots of Russians staying there.  I was talking to an English guy and told him, "Boy, the Russians aren't very friendly."  He replied, "They don't even like each other."

True that. Same at my place.

Blimey, drivers are actually stopping at those pedestrian crossings when the lights are red now??? That's gonna cause problems, either someone rear-ending you when you stop on red, or else an overly-trusting foreigner using the crossing and believing that traffic will stop when Mitsubishi Joe, busy sexting his mia noi on his phone, fails to see either the red light or the pedestrian.

I will only tell this once, it is very simple. The stuff you normally use to spray on your window, you modify to shoot straight, the next time an <deleted> is in front of you, you spray until it's empty. You could add some <deleted> spray sense too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

middle finger.... hahahahahahaha.

Wait till your cruising down the motorway at the legal speed limit and Somchai is up ya clacker with head light flickering and horn beeping.... only for him to swerve to the left, level up next to you then point a gun out his window.

Ya hope to christ nobody is close behind you when you  mash  the brake pedal !!

14 hours ago, jack71 said:

Why was this guy <deleted>? I believe he might have been Russian. He was an obese guy wearing white shorts and white short sleeve shirt. Bad shoes.

Perhaps he had anticipated, correctly, that it seemed you weren't going to stop for them to cross unless he asserted his presence at the crossing and viewed your "beeping hazards" as a reaction to his right to use the crossing?  

Why have you modified your hazard warning lights to beep?

What has his nationality, size, clothing colour and shoe quality got to do with anything?

• Like 1

You were in the right. You were demonstrating courtesy, something few drivers do here. The idiot in the other car was being a simpleton and one cannot allow people like that to bother us, get under our skin, or enrage us. It is just part of being human and living on this planet in 2022. There are alot of bitter, disenfranchised, unhappy, frustrated, angry, bent, pathological, and dour souls out there. It is not on us. We must remain unaffected by them. It is not worth a fight, a disagreement, or a confrontation. These days, there are alot of people just itching for a fight. No need to give them a reason for one.

You just dismiss these fools, and get on with you day. If you need to, you just repeat over and over to yourself, water off a ducks back. Water off a ducks back. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Serves you right ,a bit silly to put on hazards light at a zebra crossing,

he probable was thinking that you were the silly tosser getting cross at him.

In other words, follow the published/known rules.

Don't make it more complex and cause confusion.

• Thanks 1

Its just a thought but I doubt very much that putting your hazard lights on would deter a rear ender either in LOS or anywhere else for that matter. If someone aint' watching enough to rear end you at a stop point how would having more red lights going on and off help?

Given that these lights are for emergency use only you might actually be breaking some obscure road law by using them at a regular brake stop point.

I remember back in 2020 (maybe?) on the way to Phuket Town one day a falang on a big bike using every manner and combination known to man of his indicators and hazards lol ????  Seemed both way over the top and confusing to others on the road he was getting a lot of looks like are you okay buddy, having some sort of episode, do you need help?'

Edited by Tropposurfer

9 hours ago, Inala said:

Is there another forum other than Asean Now TV?? I wasn't aware of anything outside of Thai Visa. Can I join?

Thaiger Talk. Yes, you can join and the moderation is more relaxed as well.

18 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

My experience with hazard lights in Thailand is that Thai drivers use it to indicate that they're going straight in a crossing. 

they do this indeed. i hitched a lift with a truck driver doing his return trip back to chantaburi. approaching every crossroads, to indicate his intention to carry straight on, on come the hazard lights. while we were having lunch, i explained what these were for, and what he was doing was dangerous...

people on the left think you're turning left, as they can only see the left indicator. people on the right think you're turning right, as they can only see the right indicator. people in front and behind think you've either parked awkwardly or broken down. he didn't do it they rest of the trip, but others on the road were doing the same. 

my experience of watching thai's taking their driving test at the district test centres worried me that actually this is the least of our problems...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

It depends on the situation somewhat. For all of my life, road trains (trucks with three trailers) on the open road in my state in Australia have used the left indicator to warn you not to overtake. if a car did this, you would overtake. They use the right indicator to signal that it's safe to overtake. You'd never overtake a car with its right indicator on. Given that we drive on the left side of the road, it's very strange.

They do this because the trucks are so long, up to 54 metres, that it's impossible to see past them even on a straight road. it takes an estimated 1.3 km to overtake them at 100 Kph.

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

I might be tempted to put on my hazards if I stopped to let a pedestrian cross in the hope of deterring a vehicle over or under taking me. A vainglorious hope that though.... drivers don't think that deeply. I once stopped to let an old guy carrying a load of produce cross and nearly got him killed by a motorcycle whizzing up my inside....good intentions cause confusion here!

14 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

If someone aint' watching enough to rear end you at a stop point how would having more red lights going on and off help?

Dorothy, You aint in Kansas no more.... Hazard light in Thailand aint red.... Just sayin'.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:55 PM, jack71 said:

approaching the zebra crossing and a guy and his lovely wife assertively walked on the zebra crossing

On 6/12/2022 at 8:55 PM, jack71 said:

She was equally unappealing. 

What did I do wrong?

Stared at his lovely wife, then when he gave you the finger you decided she was now unappealing.

• Haha 1