Covid extension rejected

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There will be no gnashing of teeth.

Fact is currently covid extensions are available up till July 25.

That's what's in the gazette.

End of. 

Attached is messenger chat from my friends at Hua Hin obtaining covid extension (their first) in January.

Make no mistake immigration corrupt to the bone. 

Screenshot_20220629-101106~2.jpg

Covid extensions will end.

So your friends got Covid extensions in Hua Hin last January. What's your point? I understand the OP has been rejected in Krabi and wants advice if Phuket is still a viable option. Should the OP head for Hua Hin?

There was a very recent thread with someone else in an identical situation. I couldn't muster enough interest to come back and check if he was successful (or if he even bothered to tell us).

The Covid extension writing is on the wall. End of.

Anyone still getting them should have a viable contingency plan in place. Shouting "HELP!" on this forum doesn't qualify as such.

Good luck to the OP.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

Hate to say it, but should have persevered with visa in UK. They might just have wanted an address in Thailand of ‘guarantor’ or hotel bookings etc. I’ve done similar in the past and wangled my way through here, but it’s typically a ball ache, where things can be done online over there. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Or just go home, get a visa and start over.

Covid is in remission around the world. It may be temporary, it may not but that's hardly the concern of Thai immigration. The fact that some immigration officers already see through the ruse of some wannabe long-time lurkers is neither here nor there. I can hardly wait to witness the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the Covid extension's death knell is officially posted in the Royal Gazette or whatever.

You are correct that Covid is definitely in remission. However the problem here is the inconsistency of the Immigration offices around the country.

Its actually worse than than that, in the same office, seemingly,  each IO has his or her personal rules and depending on their mood they will help or hinder you.

Whilst I agree that many foreigners do try to buck the system and do not get the correct visa in the first place and then have to do border runs etc. Surely if the Rule for Covid extensions is in the Gazette, then all offices should abide by the Rule and not interpret it to their personal belief? Its the IO's responsibility to carry out policy not make it.

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

You are correct that Covid is definitely in remission. However the problem here is the inconsistency of the Immigration offices around the country.

Its actually worse than than that, in the same office, seemingly,  each IO has his or her personal rules and depending on their mood they will help or hinder you.

Whilst I agree that many foreigners do try to buck the system and do not get the correct visa in the first place and then have to do border runs etc. Surely if the Rule for Covid extensions is in the Gazette, then all offices should abide by the Rule and not interpret it to their personal belief? Its the IO's responsibility to carry out policy not make it.

There is a caveat in the laws as they are writ. For example, when it comes to paperwork, there's the "any other document that the officer may see fit to request" which empowers them to play fast and loose. Sad but true.

I'm not apologizing for any of them and some of them are simply contemptible in the way they carry out their work. However, I've been here long enough to know and appreciate that there is no universal rule of law in pretty much anything here so why expect immigration offices to be any better?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Leon1980 said:

Yes I messaged 2 different agents in Krabi and agreed on 5,000. The other wanted 6,000. I have to go with her tomorrow to the same immigration that refused me yesterday to take photo. Ha.

Thanks for all the replies.

Excellent news.

Now, what's your contingency plan for the next, almost inevitable Thai immigration duck and weave?

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There is a caveat in the laws as they are writ. For example, when it comes to paperwork, there's the "any other document that the officer may see fit to request" which empowers them to play fast and loose. Sad but true.

"...which empowers them to play fast and loose".

That's there because they know how many visitors play fast and loose with their visa/extension applications!  Sad but true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Leon1980 said:

Yes I messaged 2 different agents in Krabi and agreed on 5,000. The other wanted 6,000. I have to go with her tomorrow to the same immigration that refused me yesterday to take photo. Ha.

Thanks for all the replies.

You picked the right strategy for dealing with this expeditiously.

I've just seen a YouTube video from a Chinese citizen claiming that he'd tried to apply for a Covid extension in Phuket, only to be told it wasn't possible. After which, he conferred with other Chinese nationals, finding out that an agent was needed to make it possible.

BTW, I applied for a Covid extension a week ago in Bangkok (Chaengwattana) and was given the "Under Consideration" stamp, without using an agent. So, that option still remains if you change your mind about using an agent in Krabi.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Now, what's your contingency plan for the next, almost inevitable Thai immigration duck and weave?

None if you read the earlier post he did.

He will be leaving on September 5th. If needed he could get 7 days to leave the country after paying for a extension and having his application denied.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...which empowers them to play fast and loose".

That's there because they know how many visitors play fast and loose with their visa/extension applications!  Sad but true.

I doubt the "visitors" started this let alone caused it. The locals have to run the same gauntlet when they deal with Thai bureaucracy. It's part of life here. Just don't expect it to get any breaks or for it to get any better.

4 hours ago, Leon1980 said:

To be fair those "long time lurkers" kept many hotels and condos open in places like Phuket during Covid,  without them many more would of been unemployed. Fact. 

They should be allowed to stay as long as they want, and most of them will regardless of covid extensions. 

Most of them will end up in IDC and get deported then!

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

None if you read the earlier post he did.

He will be leaving on September 5th. If needed he could get 7 days to leave the country after paying for a extension and having his application denied.

Never mind then. More of a case of wait and see how the others in a similar boat manage.

39 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I don't think you even realize how you come across here. Your comment regarding people and global warming... And then this below.

If that's you not bitter... Oh well.

You said I come across as bitter so nothing else to add?

I got over myself ages ago. I advise you try the same.

Nominally back on topic: What I find truly ironic is how the Covid extension panic merchants are being openly applauded for availing themselves of the same corrupt agents and immigration officers that the married and retired have previously been vilified for.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

winged it on a visa-exempt permission to stay for a finite time that has already been legally extend to the maximum permissible.

Applying for a Covid extension isn't illegal, so he hasn't extended it to the maximum legally permissible time yet.

Actually he has a right to apply for this extension, and if an IO denies this extension without any valid reason then the IO is acting illegal.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

if an IO denies this extension without any valid reason then the IO is acting illegal.

That made me chuckle. IOs have wide discretionary powers,  so I would not just dismiss this as an IO acting outside of the rules.  So what does he do about it?   To me,  it is to use an agent,  I suppose he could also appeal to a higher Officer in Immigration.  Good luck with that. 

40 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

That made me chuckle. IOs have wide discretionary powers,  so I would not just dismiss this as an IO acting outside of the rules.  So what does he do about it?   To me,  it is to use an agent,  I suppose he could also appeal to a higher Officer in Immigration.  Good luck with that. 

Legally IOs have nearly no discretionary powers. Practically they do of course have powers, because the chance for them to get prosecuted for breaking the law is quite low.

There is no appeal process for this. But if one IO refuses to give you the extension, and another IO gives it to you, you could file a police report for the first IO because he clearly failed to do his duties. If you had a witness with you the case is quite clear, evidence wise. If anything will come out of it is still not sure though, because police doesn't like to go after each other...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Applying for a Covid extension isn't illegal, so he hasn't extended it to the maximum legally permissible time yet.

I never said they were illegal.

A standalone visa-exempt entry can be legally extended by an additional 30-days but just the once. That rule hasn't changed.

What has changed are the Covid extensions which are unique to the prevailing situation, ie. they didn't exist as an option before Covid. Again, they are also legal for as long as you can get them. It's like the 60-day extensions that married guys can legally get to visit spouse or their children. Is it unfair or illegal that single people don't get some sort of similar consideration?

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Actually he has a right to apply for this extension, and if an IO denies this extension without any valid reason then the IO is acting illegal.

Really? Are you new here?

11 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Legally IOs have nearly no discretionary powers. Practically they do of course have powers, because the chance for them to get prosecuted for breaking the law is quite low.

You are joking, right? They have all the discretionary powers that the law permits them to have. The fact that some of them flaunt the rules and arbitrarily make them up as they go along does not mean they do not have discretionary powers.

13 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

There is no appeal process for this. But if one IO refuses to give you the extension, and another IO gives it to you, you could file a police report for the first IO because he clearly failed to do his duties. If you had a witness with you the case is quite clear, evidence wise. If anything will come out of it is still not sure though, because police doesn't like to go after each other...

Since the Immigration police themselves are a division of the Royal Thai Police, it's simpler to say just don't even think about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We offer hassle-free 60 Covid Visa extensions.

For standard situations we charge 6,000 THB (includes the immigration fees already).

If you would like an exact quote you can obtain it by messaging our LINE team: @ThaiVisaCentre

Please note the last day to obtain this type of extension at the moment is July 25th.

• Like 1