Beware of the exchange rates offered at the booths

Ling Kae

1 minute ago, champers said:

A lot of exchange booths are yellow with black script - just like T&T.

Most people coming back after 3 years will get caught like I did on my first day back, won't happen a second time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes easy mistake the two best ones on buakhao by Rcon bar have changed so i guessed exchange rates wouldn't be as good. Best thing to do is on arrival go to airport basement to SuperRich, but let's be honest who's in the mood for that on arrival

SupeRich down there now? I didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Who would hand the money over without knowing the 

exchange rate offered,if I did that I would be too ashamed

to post it on here,  A money exchange with no rates displayed .......????

regards worgeordie

As I said,  for many years I went to this exchange booth. As soon as I got out of the taxi I needed some more bahts and went to my regular exchange booth. They were always one of the best, now they are no longer. It was a mistake, that's all and everyone needs to be aware of it. Things do change.

• Like 2

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

here's there website with location etc..

Easy, Soi Post (13/2) off beach/2nd rd.

Next to "Corona bar" :biggrin:

(in Germany for some reason they use generic term "Corona" instead of the better term "Covid 19")

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

. Best thing to do is on arrival go to airport basement to SuperRich, but let's be honest who's in the mood for that on arrival

Absolutely everyone who are aware its there.

Simple as.

• Like 2

Just have the XE app on your phone as a close guideline to what you should expect, it's always marginally higher to what you get at the yellow T&T's which are competitive. Of course it doesn't deal with the rather basic rule of asking the price/rate of something before you transact. Avoiding putting yourself in a position to get ripped off.

Edited by kinyara
Amend

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Absolutely everyone who are aware its there.

Simple as.

I agree with Scuba.  I would n't want to go.  I'm already b......   by the 3 plane trip.  I usually have 20 or 3 thousand baht on me - enough for the taxi.  The hotel usually wait until the next day for the 2 months due.

2 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

I agree with Scuba.  I would n't want to go.  I'm already b......   by the 3 plane trip.  I usually have 20 or 3 thousand baht on me - enough for the taxi.  The hotel usually wait until the next day for the 2 months due.

I meant 2 not 20.  Didn't know how to change it.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:59 PM, worgeordie said:

Who would hand the money over without knowing the 

exchange rate offered,if I did that I would be too ashamed

to post it on here,  A money exchange with no rates displayed .......????

regards worgeordie

Unfortunately, not everyone is as smart as you 

• Thanks 2

One place I went to a few years ago had great rates, but the pay out was lower when I asked they said: added commissions. 

So, I always ask now if there is an additional commission on top of the rate just to make sure.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ling Kae said:

As I said,  for many years I went to this exchange booth. As soon as I got out of the taxi I needed some more bahts and went to my regular exchange booth. They were always one of the best, now they are no longer. It was a mistake, that's all and everyone needs to be aware of it. Things do change.

But, 1 you did not take the time to check the name of the booth. 2 there were no rates displayed yet you still changed money. I know by posting this you feel better, but at the same time it was you who made the mistake. Just be happy it was a small exchange and you lost little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. VASU and Superrich are who you want. 

• Like 1

Back in Samui for a few days and most of the booths have closed. Went to one with no rates displayed and asked for the AUD rate. Quoted 23.0, but knowing the XE rate was 24.5 was expecting around 24. Declined their offer and went to another with the same markings and was given 24.1

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And the old story still unchanged.

Maximum rip-off at the airport next day:

20220704_131901.jpg

Russian rubles are doing well. I know where to go to exchange my million rubles.

Edited by Dexxter
  • Haha 1

I still have a few thousand baht from my last trip before the pandemic. That is enough to tide me over to the next day if the SuperRich in the basement of Suvarnabhumi Airport is closed when I arrive next week. That exchange location is convenient because it is very near the Airport Link station entrance.

• Like 2