Britain on course for hottest day on record

Scott

Britain on course for hottest day on record

soldier.jpg

LONDON, July 18 (Reuters) - Britain was on course for its hottest day on record on Monday with temperatures forecast to hit 40C for the first time, forcing train companies to cancel services and some schools to close while ministers urged the public to stay at home.

Much of Europe is baking in a heatwave that has pushed temperatures into the mid-40s Celsius (over 110 Fahrenheit) in some regions, with wildfires raging across tinder-dry countryside in Portugal, Spain and France.

Britain's government triggered a "national emergency" alert as temperatures on Monday and Tuesday were forecast to surpass the 38.7C (102F) recorded in the Cambridge University Botanic Garden in 2019.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-course-hottest-day-record-2022-07-18/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily-briefing&utm_term=07-18-2022

image.jpeg

most SEAsians never ever look at a thermometer, they just say "it is hot". By hyping things up with constantly repeating present C° and F° degrees you bother / intimidate people with "lower 40, well over 110" ... normally, also the average Brit would just say "it is hot" and undress down to their underpants (it's their culture, they start short-sleeved/no coat at +6C° already...)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Put those same people in 0 degrees c and see what happens !!!...

Its about familiarity and acclimatisation.... 

I’m currently holidaying in the UK....  in the past 7 days I’ve seen my own breath (on a cold evening) and seen my car show 42 degrees C... I’ve walked out of a supermarket into a wall of warmth never noticed before in my home nation.

Its jeffing hot....  and not a problem if its reffing hot every day as we’d get used to it, have Air-con or at least be familiar and know how to acclimatise and handle it....

But... don’t worry about that... you have this.. 

Agree, it the same as Thai's feeling cold when to us its not in anyway cold:

Whenever the temperature drops to 23 degrees C (74 degrees F) or lower in Chiang Mai, Thais start to say it's cold. Jackets all come out at 21-22 degrees

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blazes said:

How soft are Westerners becoming as they "stay at home" , while in Thailand and many other countries people toil away in the brutal sun as they plant rice and construct high-rise apartments etc. etc etc.

Shameful.  But of course it's another example of the MSM hyping things up to stir people into ....what?... anger? rebellion? insurrection?

Right now in Thailand, it's the humidity that's killing us ,not the heat so much as we get used to that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Quite so, in Las Vegas it gets up to 50 C in the Summer and in KSA even higher, but they are equipped to handle  the heat.

Its only gonna be for few days anyway, then it will return to normal, cold an wet and miserable.

You take no account of humidity. You should look up "wet bulb temperature".

• Like 1

This will pop up to 101 F for a few hours at most. The key is avoiding nights where the temps don't give you a chance to recover and stay in the low to mid 80s F. From what I see on the UK weather charts nighttime lows will be in the 60s. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You take no account of humidity. You should look up "wet bulb temperature".

I do realize the humidity plays a major factor in this. In Las Vegas and KSA, in the Summer,  my 2 examples, the humidity is low in the mid teens, so it doesn't "feel" as hot. My point was in "hot climates" they are usually equipped to deal with the high temperatures, most places are air conditioned, houses, apartments, shopping malls etc.

In the UK most places are not and the humidity can be considerably higher as hot air can support more moisture.

So 40 C at 75%- 85% humidity can be a "killer"

So in the UK its difficult to cool off as it were.

Probably why in Thailand when its very hot the shopping malls are full?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The greater humidity, see. It's an important factor but never mentioned.

Perhaps the importance of humidity here in tropical countries is that fire behavior decrease as grass and trees take moisture from the air when humidity is high. Much less forest fires than low humidity countries which render the fuels much more drier. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Perhaps the importance of humidity here in tropical countries is that fire behavior decrease as grass and trees take moisture from the air when humidity is high. Much less forest fires than low humidity countries which render the fuels much more drier. 

My point was that 40/20% feels very different to 40/80%, yet that isn't factored into the forecast. In the UK they do include pollen levels, though, but that is unrelated to how hot it will feel. Humidity is a very important factor in that, as it is in cold weather too. I've shivered in 5 degrees in the UK but been out in Arctic Finland in -15 without a coat, just a thick sweater, because the air was dry.

2 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Looks like more Brits and UK folks need to get larger fans or AC.

Gets hot in Canada too for several Summer into Autumn days, but we pay a useless carbon tax to deal with the heat. How about all of you in Thailand, do you have to pay a carbon tax yet?

No, well you are in the same boat as Russia, China,

Australia, India, South America, USA and even some countries in Europe.

2u6mv87.png

Citing a cartoon as some kind of evidence or argument is just a way of advertising one's ignorance. You've got nothing.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, blazes said:

How soft are Westerners becoming as they "stay at home" , while in Thailand and many other countries people toil away in the brutal sun as they plant rice and construct high-rise apartments etc. etc etc.

Shameful.  But of course it's another example of the MSM hyping things up to stir people into ....what?... anger? rebellion? insurrection?

What a thoroughly ignorant post (no surprise). Is it the MSM that makes thing melt and buckle in heat never experienced before?

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

From what I see on the UK weather charts nighttime lows will be in the 60s. 

Not this time, overnight temps topped around 26C which is about 78. Highest every recorded.

"new nighttime record set as temperatures reach 26C overnight."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-weather-live-updates-41c-forecast-met-office-warning-record-12649795

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thurien said:

most SEAsians never ever look at a thermometer, they just say "it is hot". By hyping things up with constantly repeating present C° and F° degrees you bother / intimidate people with "lower 40, well over 110" ... normally, also the average Brit would just say "it is hot" and undress down to their underpants (it's their culture, they start short-sleeved/no coat at +6C° already...)

You forgot the knotted handkerchief atop the head.....

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not this time, overnight temps topped around 26C which is about 78. Highest every recorded.

"new nighttime record set as temperatures reach 26C overnight."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-weather-live-updates-41c-forecast-met-office-warning-record-12649795

Wherever that is the case, that's a problem, then. Hope the people there at least have fans. That means a quick heat up the next morning too. Back in my home, which I haven't seen in 10 years, the temperatures have been ranging with highs between 105 F and 111 F for two weeks. At 11 pm last night it was 96 F. Many decades ago, I remember a June night where the temperature read 101 F at midnight. Walking out the front door was like stepping into a blast furnace. Hope the nights at least get cooler wherever that 27 C was. That's about what we get here in Bangkok every night now. Someone not acclimated to it is going to suffer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Hope the folks in England can survive one afternoon at 40C, I see highs predicted to drop by more than 10C from tomorrow.

As with the covid crisis, elderly are the most at risk of heat-related deaths so we can just throw them under the bus eh

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Quite so, in Las Vegas it gets up to 50 C in the Summer and in KSA even higher, but they are equipped to handle  the heat.

Its only gonna be for few days anyway, then it will return to normal, cold an wet and miserable.

Must have homes built for it. Today, in the US, matchbox houses and MacMansions are constructed for a/c. A power outage and people panic. When I was growing up, houses had high ceilings and there usually was an attic fan available. On a low humidity day, hang some sheets over the window screens and the attic fan cooled things down pretty quickly. In the UK, however, I doubt if anything is built for heat (I don't remember seeing screens on doors or windows there), not even for a day or two. The sun will bake the roof and walls, and if you don't get a downturn in the nightly temps, you'll be broiled. Won't take much to severely damage/kill some people who are completely unused to it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm puzzled why nowhere ever seems to not only show temperature in a forecast, but humidity level too. 40 degrees with 20% humidity is fine, and I've even worn a jacket. 40 degrees with 80% humidity is not fine. It's downright nasty. There is a very big difference in comfort level.

On that subject, after a relatively mild hot season in my province of Kalasin, with only a couple of days hitting 40, I've found a greater need to use aircon now than I did then. My latest bill shows about 120 units more used than in March/April. The greater humidity, see. It's an important factor but never mentioned.

Heat Index is usually quoted which covers a combination of Humidity and Temperature, its often reported as ‘feels like’... 

As an example, recently in the Middle East it was 63 Deg C heat index...  dangerously hot.