Prominent Thai doctors against extended nightlife closing times, claim tourists don’t come to Thailand to party but for beaches and temples

webfact

So staying open until 4.00am will cause more drink driving and road deaths. Let me think, who does the driving? The tourists who want to party until the wee small hours don't tend to have Fortuners and Isuzu pickup trucks, which seem to be involved in a large number of the accidents, along with motorcycles. Now, there may be tourists who hire a motorcycle but somehow I don't see them taking it for a night out in Soi Cowboy for fear of it getting nicked. All in all I think these "prominent doctors" would be better occupied retraining as orthopaedic surgeons and implanting some spines into the police  who fail to deal properly with the drunk driving all around them. Get more patrols on the roads and tougher penalties for drunk driving and maybe the problem will sort itself out.

• Like 1

This kindergarten-like tendency to dictate adults how they have to live their life is annoying. Younger tourists in particular come to Thailand for the beach and party. If it pays for discotheque-, nightclub- and bar owners to stay open longer and there is a demand for it, why shouldn't they be legally allowed to stay open longer? The justification that when the opening time is extended from 2am to 4am there is suddenly an explosion of more drunken tourists driving around, is far-fetched.

I claim the exact opposite will happening. If the police can no longer collect bribes from bar owners for illegally extending opening hours, the police officers have to carry out more traffic checks, in order to get some pocket money again.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

After COVID the Thai medical profession appear emboldened to share their opinions on various public policy related matters.

I really don't think they should be bothering with this issue....in the linked article, the good doctor tries to draw some linkage with opening hours and COVID to legitimise his involvement but likely he is just a 'conservative' and doesn't want to encourage certain types of "immoral" behaviour. I think we know in Thai society the anti-fun moralising crowd are bubbling just underneath the surface at all times.

Keep in mind kids, even "scientists" have underlying world views that can bias their judgement..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lor said:

When I first started coming to Thailand the bars were open 24 hours! At 9am when Marine Disco was closing it was off to the disco's that were just opening! If I remember right things were much more relaxed, people were not drinking fast to get as many drinks as possible before the bars closed their doors and kicked you out. I also believe there were a lot less road deaths then.

I used to pop into Tesco on the way home at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning and before that walking back to my hotel on Beach Road at 5 .30. Stopping at a beer bar along the way and waking the girl up under the counter to serve me a drink. long time ago I was young then.

Thai doctors seem to be the same as all doctors - anything that you like e.g. beer,wine, fish 'n chips, ice cream, chocolate etc is bad for you, so I wouldn't have expected anything else from the medical community.

Having said that, I do tend to think that 2 am closing would be reasonable - you should be able to get enough drink/enjoyment in a bar by that time. 

5 hours ago, roger101 said:

I used to pop into Tesco on the way home at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning and before that walking back to my hotel on Beach Road at 5 .30. Stopping at a beer bar along the way and waking the girl up under the counter to serve me a drink. long time ago I was young then.

"I used to pop into Tesco on the way home at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning and before that walking back to my hotel on Beach Road at 5 .30."

I am confused!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Most of them want to come here because of natural and cultural tourism places like beaches, parks, traditional Thai culture, and temples.

I have literally never been to any of those places, except a couple of beaches like twice. Zero interest in those. I come to Thailand for the nightlife, at least when it was good. The current closing times are way too early and essentially promote illegal places to open which are fire hazards and overall shady. Let the clubs close late for the safety and enjoyment of everyone.

4 hours ago, sambum said:

"I used to pop into Tesco on the way home at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning and before that walking back to my hotel on Beach Road at 5 .30."

I am confused!

Sorry, the first part refers to a time  after I bought my condo. The second part was when I was still staying in hotels.

7 hours ago, lor said:

When I first started coming to Thailand the bars were open 24 hours! At 9am when Marine Disco was closing it was off to the disco's that were just opening! If I remember right things were much more relaxed, people were not drinking fast to get as many drinks as possible before the bars closed their doors and kicked you out. I also believe there were a lot less road deaths then.

I drank all the way to Phuket on the bus.... and for sure have watched the sun come up from a barstool. There were a lot less road deaths because there were hardly any roads and not a lot of vehicles. Sadly, if it came back, I couldn't handle it!

11 hours ago, mania said:

555 no actually most do come for bars & girls BUT...I agree opening till 4am is a recipe for even more road deaths

Folks can get plenty drunk enough by 12 or 1 am

of tourist numbers as a whole sex tourists make up but a small part, package holidays from china and elsewhere, of people not interested in prostitutes or the sex industry, make up by far the larger share of the tourism market