Admitted the Moon landings were fake !

CharlieH

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Time is relative.

When he said that I was using a teletypwriter, writing a very simple program that took the room full of transfomers and large vaccume tubes about 2 minuites to give the answer. 

Amazing as it was watching tubes go on and off, impossible was it to predict today's storage capabilities. ????

I was making the point Gates was very good at marketing, I can't recall him ever designing or making computer hardware.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was making the point Gates was very good at marketing, I can't recall him ever designing or making computer hardware.

The whole revolutionary concept of "Windows" instead of a character based design is actually from Dell without searching on Google I think I recall it was called "Daisy". I had the pleasure to attend a demonstration of the original together with the then new laser printers at a price of a modest house. The audience was blown away despite of that. But the McIntosh hardware with its (too) tiny screen was a nightmare, but nevertheless revolutionary.

• Confused 1

Tell me ONE thing in this world that is 100% true!!!!

even your name must not be real, fake birth certificate.

You say you are in Thailand?  Matrix!!!!

Am I a falang?   God I hope not, they are dirty..........simply a filter 

Nothing can be guaranteed.....not even death.   instant transfer to another body, unless falang, then you go into the intestines of a buffalo with stomach problems.

3 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

Tell me ONE thing in this world that is 100% true!!!!

Nothing can be guaranteed.....not even death.   instant transfer to another body, unless falang, then you go into the intestines of a buffalo with stomach problems.

I am willing to conclude any bet as far as your death is concerned and issue a certificate if required.

As far as the buffalo goes: This is entirely up to you - may be better - may even be worse.

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

But now think of this - For me to make a staging of Lunar landing now, with all the video manipulation equipment available in 2022 would have been a piece of cake. But how would you do something like that back in 1969?

May not have had the green screen tech/CGI, but did pretty good back then, faking stuff in movies.  Consider when King Kong was made.  Here's a few from the 60s:

https://www.filmsite.org/visualeffects8.html

4 hours ago, itsari said:

It must be deeply upsetting for the astronauts that were involved with the moon landing missions to know so many disbelieve there achievements .

Possibly similar to how the Capitol police officers felt when told that Jan 6 rioters were regular tourists lol

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Note the collection of 2.5MB removable hard drives on the right.

What's really scary is that I actually worked with these chaps (RK05 discpak) attached to DEC PDP-8 computers!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, moogradod said:

The whole revolutionary concept of "Windows" instead of a character based design is actually from Dell without searching on Google I think I recall it was called "Daisy". I had the pleasure to attend a demonstration of the original together with the then new laser printers at a price of a modest house. The audience was blown away despite of that. But the McIntosh hardware with its (too) tiny screen was a nightmare, but nevertheless revolutionary.

Not sure where you get this from, dell didnt have anything to do with creating/developing operating systems or windows, or early laser printers. Dell sells hardware, and always has. I think you may be confusing dell with xerox

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure where you get this from, dell didnt have anything to do with creating/developing operating systems or windows, or early laser printers. Dell sells hardware, and always has. I think you may be confusing dell with xerox

Of course you and @RayWright are correct ! I apologize for the wrong info. Somehow I managed to think of Dell (and "Daisy" as well) the whole time. Maybe because this was a very long time ago ? It is exactly this XEROX Alto that is shown in the picture above that I saw demonstrated and it was revolutionary if you think that for example word processors were character based at the time, splitting a tiny screen into even tinier parts showing the text in the upper portion and reserving the lower portion for a list of commands to manipulate the text. No mouse of course.

"Daisy" as a brand name was in my mind because we sold a system with that name later on - but this one was exclusively for designing electronic circuits. I think I have actually witnessed quite a big portion of (practical) IT history. Learned to type on a strictly mechanical standard typewriter, then came the IBM selectric with the typewriter ball (this one dates actually much more back than I thought - I googled it just before), then typewriters with memory, Apple II and yes, Lisa, but this was a short lived model (given its price at the time maybe) only to be replaced by the MacIntosh which was a huge commercial success.

Some time IBM stepped in (and therefore Gates with his DOS) I was in fact raised in the middle of that era were the transition from tubes to transistors on a broad scale took place as well. Remember we had tube based radios at home (not to speak of TVs). At the university we had to punch punchcards with the code (written in PL/1) and hand it in for processing only to discover that some were not punched correctly later on ????. I still own somewhere a handbook for programming in machine language and I have still an original handbook of the Commodore 64. My God what a big difference to today. But one of the revolutions was started with this Xerox Alto with mouse, windows, laser printers and a screen that showed for the first time a full A4 page.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, Crossy said:

It would seem Neil and Buzz weren't the first!

Sunday Sport - World War Two Bomber Found on Moon

Front cover of the Sunday Sport Newspaper - April 24th 1988 - World War Two Bomber Found on Moon

I used to buy that on the way into work every week, Sundays just flew by ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile this track popped up on the Ken Bruce show last week (courtesy of Prof. Brian Cox' "Tracks of my Years" selection), I had never heard it before (they used the real comms clips from Apollo 11).

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:40 AM, KhunLA said:

Moon landing, UP2U ... I'm not a believer.

Photos supposedly from the moon, FAKE

Was a Hasselblad used to take the photo of this guy using a Hasselblad at a wedding? 

On 8/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, Crossy said:

Meanwhile this track popped up on the Ken Bruce show last week (courtesy of Prof. Brian Cox'....

Not heard of them either. Quick Google, started off in 2009 out of Tooting, and Produce / Market their own material, i.e. not signed to a major.

As there name implies, they use / intercut old Government broadcast messages into their music.

Did find this, which is their 2015 album, The Race for Space, (which the Ken Bruce played track Go! is on), from the 2019 season of the Proms celebrating the 50th Anniversay of the Moon Landings.

Their 2017 Album, Every Valley covers Welsh Mining. Well worth a listen. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 1:41 AM, moogradod said:

It was originally design by a group at Xerox in the 70's based on concepts developed in the mid 60's, I believe if memory serves me correctly. 

10 hours ago, Dan O said:

It was originally design by a group at Xerox in the 70's based on concepts developed in the mid 60's, I believe if memory serves me correctly. 

I have corrected my mistake in a post above which you obviously did not read.