Should the Thai government ban mobile use for motorcyclists?

webfact

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Should the Thai government ban mobile use for motorcyclists

no, only if in hand just like any other vehicle

I assume you are referring using a phone while operating a Motorcycle is fine if they are using it 'hands free'??  I know some of the higher end Motor bikes have this feature, but what about he el-cheapo's??   Peace

2 hours ago, webfact said:

and passengers

Why should it be banned for passengers?  That would make no sense at all.

Banning phone use for motorcyclists will create its own set of problems, one of which it will be just another law ignored, because the police rarely, if ever, patrol actual traffic, they work from checkpoints.  There are people who use phones responsibly, and who may even need them, such as the delivery guys trying to find the location of their target address via GPS on their phone.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Why should it be banned for passengers?  That would make no sense at all.

Banning phone use for motorcyclists will create its own set of problems, one of which it will be just another law ignored, because the police rarely, if ever, patrol actual traffic, they work from checkpoints.  There are people who use phones responsibly, and who may even need them, such as the delivery guys trying to find the location of their target address via GPS on their phone.

I agree that the use of GPS for delivery guys is essential but there is no need to look at the phone while driving. I use Bluetooth build in my helmet and just by listening  to GPS instructions I always find my way. If I have to look at the phone I stop in a safe location and take it out of my bag. Any wire or wireless earphones would do the trick as well. 

• Like 1

Banning the use of mobile phone for motorcycle riders and it will be the death knell of the giant messengering and delivery industry and the daily rice and noddle soups of millions who use their bike to carry most of this country commerce of their 2 wheels...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

Studies in Australia have shown mobile phone use while driving has the same effect on reflexes and concentration as imbibing 2-3 full strength beers in an hour.

Even assuming mobile phone use was banned, the fines would be the same slap on the wrist as for helmets.

If the police started impounding bikes for non-compliance, the scofflaw culture would change very rapidly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Banning the use of mobile phone for motorcycle riders and it will be the death knell of the giant messengering and delivery industry and the daily rice and noddle soups of millions who use their bike to carry most of this country commerce of their 2 wheels...

Disagree, all they would have to do is pull over and stop while sending and receiving messages.

• Like 2

Like mentioned above, I also disagree with this. Phones are used for GPS navigation, and are crucial for the delivery drivers and just about anyone else driving in unfamiliar areas. They could however enforce some sort of phone mounts to put phones on while driving to see the maps, and ban/fine picking up the phone while moving the vehicle, which could as well extend to the drivers of other vehicles (cars, trucks, buses, etc.).

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OMG 

Why isn't it already banned? 

Bloody dangerous. 

Come on Thailand, get with the times. 

Banning is one thing enforcing the ban is the joke (not a BIG JOKE)  

no t only do they use them when stationary but they use them when actually driving just like cars.

3 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I am surprised its not already unlawful. Banning all together will get no where. All food deliveries etc are using mobile phones. They should state that the phone must be mounted in a cradle and that they can only be operated when stationary.

Further to this I think cars should be fitted with a device so that when the engine is started calls cannot be made from the vehicle. So many times I have said to a mate " The driver has put his phone down , look he is speeding up ".

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I am surprised its not already unlawful. Banning all together will get no where. All food deliveries etc are using mobile phones. They should state that the phone must be mounted in a cradle and that they can only be operated when stationary.

You make a fair point, but it will never happen, even if it did , it would be unenforceable cos too many folks do it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Go back a couple of decades and we did not have this problem, as there were no mobiles around.

Back then just drugs, alcohol and a hot looking girl on the pavement... a new decade a new distraction... nothing changes.

If I’m not mistaken the law already exists banning the use of handheld phones while driving / riding.

Thus: For cars and motorcycles, mounted devices are (should be) acceptable, so that they can be used to follow GPS / Map directions and take calls to a wifi headset (or wired headset).

Motorcyclists and drivers who are found in motion while ‘holding’ a phone that isn’t secured should face fines. 

Of course - laws are not followed anyway until there is ‘media / netizen outrage’ when an innocent child gets killed because someone was using their phone. Then there is a two week crack-down which everyone ignores so the police stop bothering. 

• Like 2