Pattaya mayor backs selling alcohol from 2 pm to 5 pm in hotels

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Pattaya mayor was open to backing business operators’ proposals to sell alcohol from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in hotels as well as to extend legal opening hours to 4 a.m. to cope with tourists’ behavior.

Sure, there are absolutely no Thais that will take advantage of that, as they are all pure and religious and stay away from all partying.

• Like 1

I'm confused. I was under the impression that hotels were already exempt from this restriction.

Either I'm wrong, which is forgivable considering I'm only a civilian, or the mayor is making a fool of himself announcing a relaxing of a restriction that doesn't even exist.

While I'm quite happy to accept that I'm wrong if that's the case, I really hope the second possibility is in fact the correct one. Can anybody more knowledgeable on the subject fill in the blanks?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The mayor said: “I fully support the two ideas. Pattaya is a world-class destination for tourism. Most venues are back to business now, and they are eager to service customers til 4 a.m. I am willing to let Pattaya pioneer the two policies.”

The girls will go bandy at this news.????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Looks  more  like encouraging tourists and locals to drink more Alcohol 

And for some to cause more carnage on the roads 

Plus 2AM  is a good time to close bars 

Private clubs  up to them 

Are you one of those interfering teetotal busybodies who like to tell the world how long it has been since they gave up the demon ???? drink ??

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It appears that you weren't able to continue reading the post before jumping onto your keyboard:
The only thing I can’t do is buy from the stores during these times.

I perhaps have a different definition of 'anywhere' than you do. Those two sentences contradict. But  yes I could have figured it out if I had taken my time. 

7 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Every bar in Patts and Jom sell during these hours every day.

Patts and Jom??? I must really commend you on you hip´n hot choice of wording. Is that the new street talk by street smart foreigners in Thailand 2022? ????

• Like 1

7-11 & Family Mart are the only places I have not been able to buy beer between 2 & 5 , or before 11 a.m.

One afternoon I observed a farang go to the cooler in a nearby 7-11 and open a can of beer , take a long sip and then walk over to the cash to pay. The manager looked at the open can of beer and just took his money and set it beside the till so that I could be "rung-in"  on the till's time stamped record of sales at the permitted time.

Any of the alcohol bottle shops will sell you a beer out of their cooler at any hour when they are open. 

One time when I returned from a visit to North America  I went into the nearby 7-11 at about 2 a.m. and told him I was jet lagged and would like to buy a beer to help me get to sleep on Thai time. He was obliging and , again, just put my money off to the side for later. Nice guy. 

So the rules for sale of booze are just an inconvenient joke.

Edited by kentrot
  • Like 2

My friend's bar was shut down on the pretense of this ridiculous 2pm to 5pm alcohol sales rule, while hundreds and possibly thousands of other bars continued to operate as normal. Not sure why he was targeted for harassment.

He has mostly daytime trade from tourists who like a drink and food. Luckily it did not have much effect and anyway he has oil and gas cash from his other job.

Just another nonsense law used by inept and corrupt Thais to trouser the honest guy's cash.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 2

Another dinosaur law for only one sole reason - "power" over everything. No smoking or drinking at the beach, beach chairs only on Wednesdays in Phuket and all other absolutely mindless idiocy spring to mind ....... 

But no panic, most places dont give it a toss, sell the booze 24/7 for the benefit of the industry. So let them talk ......... 

Just now, DJ54 said:

I was a steady drinker until 68 years old and think 02:00 am is late enough….. most people are in the bag by then if their mission was to party…… 

Some people would rather drink more beer than have sex though , so a 6 AM closing time would benefit thirsty people, rather than sexually aroused people