Viral “begpacker” photos from Pattaya Beach Road cause polarizing debate on social media

webfact

On 9/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, bunnydrops said:

Nothing new. I've seen travelers selling things they make, singing, performing acts for money in every country I have been in.

Yep 30 years ago the same, all over the world, from home made jewellery in India to Sarongs in Australia, cigarette lighters in UK, nothing new, but Thailand and social media like to slag foreigners off. At least he's not getting pished all day good luck to him and his self funded travels. This Is not begging ! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Much ado about nothing. They're doing no harm. So what if they're not working as hard as some think they ought to, it's nobody's business. I think wanting to travel the world is an admirable ambition, and I respect that. 

IMO the best education in the world, is traveling around it. Learn and see how people survive poverty, then you will too if needed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

This Is not begging ! 

Nor is it included in the permissions of a tourist visa or exempt entry. Still blocking the pavement.

Perhaps they could help clear the drains in Nong Plalai for 300 baht/day.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Gecko123 said:

I think foreigners including the press should keep their nose out of this issue.

What people don't realize is that much of the charm of Thailand comes from the diversity of the people who are attracted to the country and its welcoming people. Not all of Thailand's mystery and charm is homegrown. Look at the way Khaosan road's 'crossroads of the world' charm has been obliterated in the process of cleaning it up. Who goes there any more? It's appeal these days seems to be largely nostalgic.

Get rid of all these so-called 'unwelcome' elements and what are you left with? In the interests of not offending anyone, I'll refrain from answering that question, but a clue might be found in the bathroom mirror. And by the way, to all the cannabis enthusiasts out there, do you really think that decriminalization is not going to attract a certain (perhaps large) number of these free-spirited vagabond type tourists? Whether the cops succeed in preventing them from setting up sidewalk vending operations remains to be seen, but something tells me beach side resorts like Pattaya might see a lot more of this type of tourist in the future.

I find the broken sidewalks, hanging wires, flooded streets, and dangerous driving charming too.  Let's not change those too?

I found Thailand more charming before they let planes in packed with tourists.  Let's go back to that?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, shackleton said:

Well at least he is making a attempt  to make money .to

fund his travel ????

Could have taken the easy way out on a  Gofundme 

There would be people who would no doubt contribute to his cause 

I will happily contribute to his cause if anybody has change for a 25 satang piece.

• Thumbs Up 1

how is it begging if hes selling a product...money buys goods and services

if its an issue the cops come pay a visit and tell him to move along....

id be more worried about the ladyboys and the indians with the gold necklaces...

i used to sell food at night market with a shared table with a thai girl

i help my thai buddy sell stuff at market.....i dont get paid...just helping out...

remember this when talking to a bargirl.......goods AND services......i love u too much teerak

joop joop!

On 6/1/2023 at 4:29 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I used to sell food at night market with a shared table with a thai girl

i help my thai buddy sell stuff at market.....i dont get paid...just helping out...

You will get deported. There was an article about it a while back. You can’t even help a wife in her restaurant even if unpaid.

That sod is doing fine - he teaches social in school near bridge 2 lard prao.

Also, that ^^^ was not out of desperation - rather a bet with his fellows. and he won. he also did the same at khao san in 2018: singing LZ songs for pocket change. 

On 9/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, bunnydrops said:

Nothing new. I've seen travelers selling things they make, singing, performing acts for money in every country I have been in.

It causes a big stir in thailand because a foreigner is doing something other then being in a bar and drinking. Any gesture of individuality is seen as a threat.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Gecko123 said:

Get rid of all these so-called 'unwelcome' elements and what are you left with? In the interests of not offending anyone, I'll refrain from answering that question, but a clue might be found in the bathroom mirror.

What's wrong with Thailand being populated with handsome, intelligent young men? ????

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So if one has something to sell you need a work permit? Ridicules. he is not blocking the footpath at all. But why do these old threads keep turning up here? 

It gets the "anti-foreigner foreigners" going...

• Haha 1