Wife is dead set on moving to London

cyril sneer

she should be complemented on her choice, london is one of the world's great cities. i lived and worked there for 11 years and loved it. my life's moved on but i still visit every year. there is plenty of work available, you don't have to share a house just get a decent job with a decent salary. there are certainly more opportunities in london than most places in thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:11 AM, Dmaxdan said:

My wife really enjoyed fish and chips when she visited the UK. Normally after a visit to the local pub.

At the end of the day it's just another version of fried fish, something that Thai people eat all the time.

I love the UK and lived in London myself. But the British have not the faintest idea what the rest of the world thinks of their food . I always have to lough if I see on Facebook what the british consider a good breakfast. No offense again I love the UK and the british people but the food is just terrible! Always have to think of the radiation green peas in the UK, no idea what you do to them...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stat said:

. No offense again I love the UK and the british people but the food is just terrible! Always have to think of the radiation green peas in the UK, no idea what you do to them...

Green peas are rather healthy and frozen within hours of them being picked , and the great with grilled fish and mint sauce .

What makes you say there's something wrong with them ?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, BritManToo said:

Buy her a ticket and offer to drop her off at the airport!

My wife made noise about wanting to work in the US at one time years ago.
I suggested she fly to Mexico and have a coyote take her across as she'd probably be able to obtain a green card and citizenship quicker than if she went with me.  And I explained how the inflated US price will eat her paycheck and that she'd be living in poverty while making money that would make her a "rich women" in Thailand.  Oh, and good luck finding authentic Thai food and a Buddhist temple. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:22 AM, spidermike007 said:

Has she spent time there? My wife wanted to move. Took here to the US for 2 months. It was so over priced, most people were so sad, stressed out, and bitter, so serious and lacking in joy, she could not wait to get back here. Me too. Very happy to be here. 

Just say no. I left. I don't want to go back. If you can't wrap your mind around that, we are not compatible. We are finished. Let's get divorced. Go to London on your own. If you can. Bye bye. See ya. 

I met a bargirl one time who married a "rich man" from Portland, OR.  She lasted less than six months before divorcing the guy and moving back to Thailand.  If you've ever lived in Portland, it's pretty obvious why.  A dark, dank, dismal place to live most days out of the year.  Beautiful when it isn't raining or ice-covered after an ice storm, or when the cloud cover lifts.  That ain't often.  She should have talked her hubby into living in North Hollywood.  Much better there and Thai friendly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, stat said:

I love the UK and lived in London myself. But the British have not the faintest idea what the rest of the world thinks of their food . I always have to lough if I see on Facebook what the british consider a good breakfast. No offense again I love the UK and the british people but the food is just terrible! Always have to think of the radiation green peas in the UK, no idea what you do to them...

I think, you don't know what you are talking about regarding what Brits eat.

Where are you from, so I can compare.......????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

I met a bargirl one time who married a "rich man" from Portland, OR.  She lasted less than six months before divorcing the guy and moving back to Thailand.  If you've ever lived in Portland, it's pretty obvious why.  A dark, dank, dismal place to live most days out of the year.  Beautiful when it isn't raining or ice-covered after an ice storm, or when the cloud cover lifts.  That ain't often.  She should have talked her hubby into living in North Hollywood.  Much better there and Thai friendly.

True. The entire NW is dark, dank and rainy. I once spent 6 weeks in Vancouver. From August 15th to about October 1st. The first two weeks were glorious, and after about Sept. 2nd, it rained or we had cool weather and it was cloudy for 30 days! No thanks. Felt like a mushroom.

I think perhaps you have not been to North Hollywood for some time. Yes, there is a local Thai population there. I travel to LA a few times a year. The entire region has become a real wasteland. Going downhill at an alarming pace, with rising crime,  combined with ridiculous inflation, it is stunningly expensive, for what you get. The same could be said about all of California. Not the state I remember from days gone by. 

Not all areas look like this, but these two images are from recent trips to LA, that I took of downtown LA.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-20 at 11.22.55 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-20 at 11.22.55 AM.jpeg

Edited by spidermike007

On 9/21/2022 at 7:22 AM, spidermike007 said:

Has she spent time there? My wife wanted to move. Took here to the US for 2 months. It was so over priced, most people were so sad, stressed out, and bitter, so serious and lacking in joy, she could not wait to get back here. Me too. Very happy to be here. 

Just say no. I left. I don't want to go back. If you can't wrap your mind around that, we are not compatible. We are finished. Let's get divorced. Go to London on your own. If you can. Bye bye. See ya. 

the UK is nothing like america or its people

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, bob smith said:

start making her fish and chips for dinner every night and tell her this is what you've got to look forward to. she will soon change her tune..

or take her to the many thai restaurants and takeaways, or to the many thai grocery shops selling most items she will buy here

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:37 AM, Gottfrid said:

Why do you need to convince her. If you are made for each other, both of you will understand, make decisions and stick together. If she want London and will not change. You want Thailand and will not change. Then it´s final. 

think the OP needs to ask himself what is the most important his wife and her happiness or his reasons for wanting to stay in thailand. If the latter then maybe he just sees his wife as some high level house maid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cardano said:

not here to help the OP, just giving a balanced counter argument to all the posters portraying only negatives about the UK when it's one of the best countries in the world to live.

And going on about U.K food , when in reality you get food from all over the World in the U.K 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Cardano said:

not here to help the OP, just giving a balanced counter argument to all the posters portraying only negatives about the UK when it's one of the best countries in the world to live.

You are obviously joking or you are a hiso.. ????

Or maybe a ponce. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cardano said:

Sure, it is! Right on spot, Dude! People go to Thailand to look at the temples, and to UK to look at the masjids.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Cardano said:

or take her to the many thai restaurants and takeaways, or to the many thai grocery shops selling most items she will buy here

It sounds to me you have never taken a Thai wife back to UK especially London have you. 

• Haha 1