English breakfast in Thai hotels

superal

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wondered when someone would come up with this ignorant comment. Similar to the 'if you don't like it, stay home' brigade. Perhaps it's because the OP enjoys an English breakfast to start his day, before he later tucks into somtam with fermented fish. Perhaps at home he eats Chinese or Indian food too, even though he isn't in China or India. He might even eat Thai food in England. Wow!

Spot on Barry ,

I live with my lady who has a large restaurant ( 90% Thai food ) in the north east of Thailand .  Good bacon , sausages and black pudding are not easy to find up here . So on the odd occasion that I may be in Bangkok or Pattaya , I often wondered if there were any hotels that served English breakfast as opposed to that so called American breakfast with awful recon; ham and frankfurter sausages , served with cold fried egg and a lettuce leaf  . I have eaten some very good English breakfasts in Pattaya and at a very reasonable price . But the question points at hotels that serve the E B .

To others who said " if you want to eat English food go to Spain or stay home " , I eat Thai food 7 days a week and have done for 11 years .  As Aussieroaming said earlier , " I miss an English Breakfast " . it sets you up for the day and is also a cure for a hangover .

20 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

English style breakfasts available in at least one northern Thai homestay. No black pudding though, cannot be sourced in our province. Won't mention the name, am sure that would breach a forum rule.

IMG_1549r.JPG

IMG_2137r.JPG

IMG_1774r.JPG

The bread looks good .

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Whether a hotel serves an English breakfast, or something approaching it, depends on how upmarket the hotel is. Most top hotels will.

The best breakfast I have encountered here is at Sausage King in Chiang Mai, it's so filling I always skip lunch that day.

The breakfast I cook for myself consists of one slice of toast and Vegemite, two poached eggs, and some fruit. I sometimes wonder how the British managed to conquer the world, given the stodge they eat for breakfast. Perhaps that's down to the indigestion afterwards.

The English breakfast is a steadfast traditional E. B. that has been eaten by the Brits , going back to the 13th century in some form or other . It was and still is a hearty meal that will set you up for the day . Often a lunch is not needed , as you mentioned . 

It is certainly a meal that I would not eat every day , especially if it is a fry up . However it still is a popular meal to many Brits and other nationalities . 

Forgot to mention that , thick home made bread is preferred to the thin , sweet Farmhouse bread that is the one that is mainly served in Thailand 

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

What? One egg, one (maybe 2) bacon and one sausage?

Maybe 35 Baht cost at a resort and spa?

Where is the fruit juice and cup-a-tea?

Ripped off big time.

You forgot to mention, the so called over sweetened false orange juice and farmhouse bread , plus the awful Lipton's tea .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Spot on Barry ,

I live with my lady who has a large restaurant ( 90% Thai food ) in the north east of Thailand .  Good bacon , sausages and black pudding are not easy to find up here . So on the odd occasion that I may be in Bangkok or Pattaya , I often wondered if there were any hotels that served English breakfast as opposed to that so called American breakfast with awful recon; ham and frankfurter sausages , served with cold fried egg and a lettuce leaf  . I have eaten some very good English breakfasts in Pattaya and at a very reasonable price . But the question points at hotels that serve the E B .

To others who said " if you want to eat English food go to Spain or stay home " , I eat Thai food 7 days a week and have done for 11 years .  As Aussieroaming said earlier , " I miss an English Breakfast " . it sets you up for the day and is also a cure for a hangover .

Looks ok. The lettuce and bad frankfurt thing isnt a proper one.

american-breakfast.jpg

34 minutes ago, superal said:

The English breakfast is a steadfast traditional E. B. that has been eaten by the Brits , going back to the 13th century in some form or other . It was and still is a hearty meal that will set you up for the day . Often a lunch is not needed , as you mentioned . 

It is certainly a meal that I would not eat every day , especially if it is a fry up . However it still is a popular meal to many Brits and other nationalities . 

Forgot to mention that , thick home made bread is preferred to the thin , sweet Farmhouse bread that is the one that is mainly served in Thailand 

I enjoyed mine. Lots of protein. Skip lunch then have dinner.

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

ABF =   1 x  cold fried egg ,  CP packet ham floating in water ,  CP mini sausages floating in water ,  1 x slice of toast that's actually just warm bread ,   1  x  watered down orange juice powder mix ,   1 x cold coffee.

Absolutely disgusting ....

image.png.e988a0c4809c8bd101405f17f4997565.png

tell your leader

On 10/6/2022 at 3:12 PM, Boyn said:

Why do people travel to exotic countries and then demand English food ? if its that big of a deal stay at home or go to Spain.

Have you ever eaten what the Thais call breakfast?

I am quite at home with mussuman, pad thai, pad siew and pat khao moo. I draw the line at breakfast, rice soup and half-cooked eggs are horrible.

As for Spain, their habit of not eating dinner until 10 pm guarantees gastric reflux for most people.

Edited by Lacessit

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Have you ever eaten what the Thais call breakfast?

I am quite at home with mussuman, pad thai, pad siew and pat khao moo. I draw the line at breakfast, rice soup and half-cooked eggs are horrible.

As for Spain, their habit of not eating dinner until 10 pm guarantees gastric reflux for most people.

Ever tried "Natto" ? Khao Tom is heaven in comparison.

And if you mention Spain, you should mention Italy for breakfast as well - they like sweet sugared bread etc.

The best is a combination of things you like from all countries: For me this means, no beans by all means, but sushi why not, curry why not and the standard US/German selection is all more than welcome if not expected to be on offer.

8 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Ever tried "Natto" ? Khao Tom is heaven in comparison.

And if you mention Spain, you should mention Italy for breakfast as well - they like sweet sugared bread etc.

The best is a combination of things you like from all countries: For me this means, no beans by all means, but sushi why not, curry why not and the standard US/German selection is all more than welcome if not expected to be on offer.

Natto? Yes, I have had that displeasure.  Japanese breakfasts are NOT my cup of tea in the slightest.  Actually, anything with rice for breakfast turns my tummy. So a meal of natto, grilled fish, rice, miso soup, served with tea? No thank you.

Nice omelette with peppers, onions, and a touch of sharp cheese? Crispy bacon? French toast served with genuine 100% maple syrup? Touch of fresh fruit on the side? Coffee?  THAT'S breakfast. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

So whats the different between an English or American Breakfast?

No beans apparently !!!... :cheesy:

Seriously though - I believe an American breakfast would include.... Pancakes or waffles and syrup, bacon, eggs, fried potatoes....

And yes... contrary to what some people strangely believe... Its also ok to come to Thailand and have an American breakfast !!! ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No beans apparently !!!... :cheesy:

Seriously though - I believe an American breakfast would include.... Pancakes or waffles and syrup, bacon, eggs, fried potatoes....

And yes... contrary to what some people strangely believe... Its also ok to come to Thailand and have an American breakfast !!! ????

I'll let you know what an American breakfast is I booked an apartment in Pattaya for a couple of weeks American breakfast included

not American breakfast as you said but enough for me

b.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I'll let you know what an American breakfast is I booked an apartment in Pattaya for a couple of weeks American breakfast included

b.jpg

Looks good enough to me.

If I were buying the bits myself I'd choose better quality, but there's enough there, and the pool looks nice.

Always surprised that Asians don't know how to cook toast, it ain't difficult!

40 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Natto? Yes, I have had that displeasure.  Japanese breakfasts are NOT my cup of tea in the slightest.  Actually, anything with rice for breakfast turns my tummy. So a meal of natto, grilled fish, rice, miso soup, served with tea? No thank you.

Nice omelette with peppers, onions, and a touch of sharp cheese? Crispy bacon? French toast served with genuine 100% maple syrup? Touch of fresh fruit on the side? Coffee?  THAT'S breakfast. 

I would not mind a nice Miso Soup, but not the cold leftovers of cuttlefish from yesterdays dinner to go with it please. Neither maple syrup, in fact pancaces are not really a necessity. But maybe Corn Flakes in cold milk ? Bacon as well, but please the soft version. I know a hotel where they have 3 different grades of Bacon. Coffee or tea depending on the mood but for sure NO BEANS and potatoes to spoil the setting after all.

Oh and I forgot: Eggs Benedict, not scrambled or fried if possible.

Edited by moogradod

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do those posters who expect us to only eat Thai food also insist on only drinking Thai whiskey themselves?

Just wondering!

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys but I am getting older now so I don't eat a lot anymore

living in the west now and sleep till lunch I don't realy have breakfast anymore just a few fruits when I wake up and dinner so I am not a big eater anymore so each to they own.

31 minutes ago, still kicking said:

b.jpg

No beans... You should have checked out and called the owner a big ( O )  !!!..... :whistling:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

They have whiskey in Thailand?

Some people here call it whisk(e)y. From the smelling I would call it gasoline and I would not be surprized if it worked like that as well.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No beans... You should have checked out and called the owner a big ( O )  !!!..... :whistling:

Obviously a man of taste. Congratulations. Could change the Nestle Water, though. Mont Fleur is tasty.

I'm not Joe Fitness but that looks like a heart attack on a plate.

As an American I never understood the drive for this meal by tourists and expats alike.

Baked beans for breakfast, cooked tomatoes as sides. Yuk.

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Do those posters who expect us to only eat Thai food also insist on only drinking Thai whiskey themselves?

Just wondering!

No, I would not expect that. I pretty much only eat Thai food and drink foreign whiskey or vodka.

I understand the parallel but don't think they equate.

Full English breakfast is heavy and nothing but whinging, complaints on TV not made correctly.

A decent bottle of whiskey or bourbon (1200+) generally meets expectation. The whiskey is 100% import, food ingredients are 100% domestic.

6 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I'm not Joe Fitness but that looks like a heart attack on a plate.

As an American I never understood the drive for this meal by tourists and expats alike.

Baked beans for breakfast, cooked tomatoes as sides. Yuk.

Agree, I'd leave the tomatoes!

• Haha 1