Nong Bua Lamphu massacre aftermath: RTP chief acts to create squeaky clean "White Police"

webfact

3 hours ago, new2here said:

It’s going to be very very hard to effectively root-out the so-called bad actors from the RTP…. very hard 

In large part because IMHO systems of this size - ones that are national in scope and where there is no effective “check” to their power - are set up to be self-protecting and self-sustaining … it’s goal is to insulate itself from external “attack” and to ensure its continued existence.

So, I think you’re really asking the system to “self-police” itself .. which is something it isn’t set up to do in the first place…. 

The only way I see is to have a wholly independent, external body with equal power, set up with the explicit mandate and explicit legal authority to reign in RTP actions, personnel and policies. 

And look at the money that could bring in!?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

EXTRACT

Not content to solve the drug and gun menace in wider society Damrongsak also announced that there will be a program called "Tamruat See Khao" - White Police.

White being the color of transparency and Innocence.

Don't look to closely or it will be Tamruat See Daang - Red Police

Red being the colour of embarrasment at what they find......

9 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

If they really want to clean the police.

1)drug tests weekly for every single cop from the new recruits up to Damrongsak himself. Any +ve result = death by firing squad.

2)any corruption - such as extorting marijuana users for cash = death by firing squad with all policeman's assets going to his victim.

3)corruption in the court. any swinging verdicts for cash or favours = death by firing squad.

4)pay a fair living salary

will probably work, but I don't think the RTP and judiciary will go for it!

I doubt that there is enough ammunition frankly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A catchy slogan - "White Police".

A crackdown announced.

In a couple of weeks, maybe less, a couple of scapegoats will be stuffed in front of the cameras ( I should imagine that the "middle management" backsides in that neck of the woods are going sixpence/ half-a-crown, sixpence/ half-a-crown like nobody's business waiting to see at whom the finger is pointed)!

Then back to normal...

Would help Thailand if they would employed an independent firm and do a full psychological evaluation of all personnel  "captain to cook" in the RTP / Army / Navy / Air force, and weed out the bad apples. 

I think 95% would fail. Doing this would mean Thailand do do not have any security personnel. Then again, they would just be moved to an inactive post and reinstated once the dust clears. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

It'll be a crackdown with teeth this time.

So does he mean.... unlike all the prior supposed crackdowns when their big pronouncements were really just for show, and their real institutional corruption and misdeeds continued unchecked -- save for a few transfers to inactive posts here and there....

12 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Another case of " let us investigate ourselves" with promises to be thorough. The RTP have long been known as completely corrupt and nothing will change because a career in the RTP is really just a vehicle to wealth, hence why they pay an entrance fee.

For some reason remanding of and acceptance of bribes has been omitted from the guidelines for the new "Police Angels".

Maybe the government ought to dig deep and find the reason for all these terrible murders and act .

Drugs, alcohol abuse, corruption, poverty , in your face prostitution, violence in homes and on the streets. There’s a lot going on that needs fixing. 
Unfortunately there are only a few good experienced cops in their force. ( one name mentioned often) . They need more educated men  to take on such a task..

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Nowhere will be out of reach of the RTP be it land and sea borders or traditional places where guns are made, moved and traded. 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Damrongsak promised action in all areas of drug crime including going after the big players.

Will there be any police left after this crackdown?

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2022 at 9:41 AM, webfact said:

And that includes illegality within the Royal Thai Police itself.

It has been ordered by Thai prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha who heads the Police Commission.

Prayuth said this 8 yeas ago.  Thailand is still waiting.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, new2here said:

It’s going to be very very hard to effectively root-out the so-called bad actors from the RTP…. very hard 

In large part because IMHO systems of this size - ones that are national in scope and where there is no effective “check” to their power - are set up to be self-protecting and self-sustaining … it’s goal is to insulate itself from external “attack” and to ensure its continued existence.

So, I think you’re really asking the system to “self-police” itself .. which is something it isn’t set up to do in the first place…. 

The only way I see is to have a wholly independent, external body with equal power, set up with the explicit mandate and explicit legal authority to reign in RTP actions, personnel and policies. 

And how long would you expect them to be independent?