Canadian rollerblader fined 1,000 baht after spooking motorists on the Bangkok streets

webfact

8 hours ago, stoner said:

so nothing different than a million thai every day doing the same thing

so nothing different than a million thai every day doing something quite similar but in a much faster motorized way.

still a meatball for doing this though. he must of thought he was super cool doing it though. 

would of been a better story if he got hit. 

Wonder if he's got any travel/health insurance?

8 hours ago, pomchop said:

idiot of the week candidate....add him to farangs on electric one wheel or small stand up scooters with no helmets weaving in/out of traffic on sukhumvit......one whack and it's over or maimed for life.

Or the Thai ' Uni Cyclist " I once saw in lane 3 outside the BKK Pattaya Hospital

Only this Guy was doing no weaving, he was doing about 15 K per Hour

The B@!! E%d

3 hours ago, connda said:

And what law it that.  Can you refer me to the Thai road laws that specifically outlaw skating on public roads?  I don't believe you can, but I'm willing to suspend doubt until you do.

Canadian law which requires all cyclists and road users to wear protective equipment especially helmets

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

"was going fast in between traffic. One Grab delivery guy couldn't get by."

there is contradiction - if he was going fast he was not blocking motorbikes.

He is an equal road user, as motorbikes, bicycles

If a Grab guy couldn't get by then he wasnt going so fast, those Grab guys dont waste any time. But what an idiot to endanger himself and possibly cause accidents as others try to avoid him. 

You can't believe all the kids and adults in America with these motorized scooters and single wheels going so fast with no protection.   Around the neighborhood or on busy streets.   It scares me to see these beautiful young girls in the neighborhood going so fast with no protection.   I worry they will fall and lose teeth, and have major lifelong scars.   Sometimes I see these one wheel people on bike trails, some areas have signs saying no 9ne wheels.   And there are little kids under 10 riding these electric motorbikes on the sidewalks and streets.   Cops always came when I rode my Honda 50 anywhere on the street or sidewalks.   It's ok for their kids to do this illegal activity but if they smelled you smoking a joint they would call the cops

13 hours ago, webfact said:

"I had no idea it was wrong as I don't know the Thai law. I'll pay my fine and won't do it again".

How many times have we heard that from these Canadian rollerbladers?

Enough is enough! 

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Or at least a wai and 500 baht fine. 

Edited by MrJ2U

26 minutes ago, kennw said:

If a Grab guy couldn't get by then he wasnt going so fast, those Grab guys dont waste any time. But what an idiot to endanger himself and possibly cause accidents as others try to avoid him. 

Pity Grab, Food Panda and, Line Man can't deliver on roller blades, would be entertaining. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

"I was exercising and exploring Bangkok," he told the police. "I had no idea it was wrong as I don't know the Thai law. I'll pay my fine and won't do it again".

Go abroad and think you can do as you do at home... some people really do leave their brains at home.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Netizens reacted in droves saying this was highly inappropriate and dangerous after a clip featured on Red Skull.

But driving up the wrong side of the road, fine.

Driving on the pavement, why not?

Speeding, fine.

Drunk driving, ok.

Children on motorcycles without helmets, no problem.

Tailgating, aggressive driving, mai pen rai

20 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

the reason blocking traffic is ridiculous… most motor bikes are blocking traffic and vehicles double parking

please cite a specific section of the driving code relating to this behavior?

"...most motor bikes are blocking traffic..."

please cite a specific section of the driving code relating to this behavior!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

19 hours ago, connda said:
19 hours ago, RobU said:

Another twerp who thinks he is entitled to break the law

And what law it that.  Can you refer me to the Thai road laws that specifically outlaw skating on public roads?  I don't believe you can, but I'm willing to suspend doubt until you do.

He wasn't fined for "skating" on the road, he was fined for obstructing traffic and a road safety transgession so there's no reason for anyone to have to reference "anti-skating" laws .

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1