Biden suggests voting for Republicans is a threat to democracy

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Exactly right.  

It is possible to acknowledge the very real damage and injuries caused by the rioters, without ascribing to them motives and skills they did not have. Sure there were a few yahoos and paranoids who were dreaming fevered dreams of restoring Trump to power. But the vast majority were simply frustrated idiots. 

Guys throwing a coup don't leave their guns in the Hampton Inn across the river.

Indeed.

However, it's difficult to reason with those that think all the rioters had to do to take over the country was to hang Mike Pence, and the army would obey them. Think there is something in the oath they took about the constitution, and not swearing to obey whoever is in the White House even if they are clearly illegitimate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

doubting with not  a shred of proof is part of the big lie....if you have proof that the election was rigged please do share it with the world...it's been almost two years and we are still waiting to see any proof of any significant election fraud....laughable that people who refuse to accept the results of an election think that is democracy...last time i checked democracy requires that you accept the results of elections and concede that after multiple court cases and investigations turn up zip you man up and admit your side lost rather than whining for two years and trying to install your choice not through the ballot box and courts but in a violent coup attempt

Read my post again - it was about freedom of thought and the right to have it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Blimey that's rather ignorant of you to not recognize the intention of the few thousand people summoned by Trump to seize and violently remove the government so that he can remain in power. That's how every coups succeed. Seized the government and delegitimize the legal process for usurper. He will then will have the command of all the military and law enforcement agencies. 

Blimey that's rather ignorant of you. There was no summons issued by Trump to seize and violently remove the government.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, if Bennie Thompson says it, then it must be true /s

In any case, it really doesn't matter.  The voters have decided that other issues are far more important in their lives. Biden and the Democrats failed in their attempt to push January 6 as an election issue.  They are just realizing it now but far too late in the campaign. 

Here we go with more deflection and confusion!

I only suggested that the democratic assertion from Bennie Thompson was that the insurrection was an attempted coup not whether it was true or not

As for questioning Chairman of the Jan 6th Committee Bennie Thomson's honesty, when the Conspirator-in-Chief who told 33,000 documented lies during his presidency, paradoxical comes to mind.

Well, if Bennie Thompson says it, then it must be true /s

Not trying to confuse the issue at all, trying to clarify it.

In any case, it really doesn't matter.  The voters have decided that other issues are far more important in their lives. Biden and the Democrats failed in their attempt to push January 6 as an election issue.  They are just realizing it now but far too late in the campaign. 

What Bennie Thomas said was based on testimonies from Republicans witnesses. 

<deleted> voters can vent their frustration by voting in the next election and not by staging an insurrection.

Too early to tell whether the Dem messaging is wrong. Threat to democracy resonated by more than half of registered voters. 

You know we can play semantic games about what to call the events of January 6, from an energetic fan club meeting to the revenge of Himmler. It really doesn't matter. If you want everyone to call it an insurrection or coup, fine. 

The Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) are twisting themselves into knots trying to make it relevant to the voters now, and it simply isn't working.

You'll find the only people keeping the lie going on a daily basis despite 64 court cases showing no evidence are Trump, MAGA. QAnon and conspiracy theorists. For Biden to bring up his suggestion that voting for Republicans is a threat to democracy is more than appropriate.

• Haha 1

You know we can play semantic games about what to call the events of January 6, from an energetic fan club meeting to the revenge of Himmler. It really doesn't matter. If you want everyone to call it an insurrection or coup, fine. 

The Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) are twisting themselves into knots trying to make it relevant to the voters now, and it simply isn't working.

I suggest that presenting the facts is not playing semantics. I never said it was a coup. 

I also suggest that the Conservatives and their press are the one's doing the twisting.

I think we need to agree that we disagree. If you think facts don't matter anymore in a Democracy, fine, that is your prerogative.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I watched the entire thing on tv, live. It was mainly a bunch of people wandering around without even trying to disguise themselves. If it was a coup it had to be the worst coup attempt in history. I'm sure real coup makers laugh hysterically every time the western media describes it as a "coup" attempt.

To carry out a coup one needs a means to force the country to submit and quash opposition- did you see tanks in your streets, armed soldiers erecting barricades? Don't think so.

A coup is more than sitting someone in the big chair.

so the next time somebody sprays you  repeatedly with bear spray or pepper spray or tries to kick you in the head be sure and tell them that u don't see any weapons so go right ahead and spray and bash away..maybe u should look up the definition of coup

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Cool , here are some facts from Reuters: The most important problem facing America according to voters:

Inflation, jobs/economy, gun violence, abortion, immigration, climate.... in that order. Gee, what seems to be missing?

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-ELECTION/ECONOMY-POLL/akvezdbzrpr/

How many of these did the President address in his speech?

Deflect and divert!

So, our conversation is not about your mischaracterization of Jan 6th anymore?

Cheers!

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

They obviously don't agree.

So why haven't these folks laid out solid factual evidence of votes being stolen, vote numbers bein falsified/manipulated (by Americans and/or by the Chinese etc)?  They've had plenty of opportity and plenty of time to lay it all out.

They have laid out some 'evidence' but it falls apart in a second and the folks 'laying it out' have zero credibility.

The balls in their court, what are they waiting for to prove their claims? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Again Biden is right.

The MAGA people will probably consolidate their power permanently by 24.

Then non MAGA people that thought gas prices which presidents don't control are more important than avoiding a minority rule totalitarian regime as hard to shake off as Putin might regret it but then it will be too late. 

So that leaves the electoral processes etc., of the US in the hands of scaly charlotans who have no hesitation to tells lies, manipulate elections / vote number etc.

And where does that leave the intelligent and credible American people? Their country in the hands of trumps naive MAGA followers. 

Does that mean large numbers of intelligent, ethical, morally solid Americans will migrate to more credible countries?

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

So that leaves the electoral processes etc., of the US in the hands of scaly charlotans who have no hesitation to tells lies, manipulate elections / vote number etc.

And where does that leave the intelligent and credible American people? Their country in the hands of trumps naive MAGA followers. 

Does that mean large numbers of intelligent, ethical, morally solid Americans will migrate to more credible countries?

I remember Democrats laughing and singing back in 2016 when Trump won the GOP nomination. They all thought that the Bad Orange Man would be easy to beat, far easier than the seasoned polticians he left in his dust.

So, imagine their outrage when he actually won the election against their chosen "most qualified candidate in history"! This I think is the seed of outrage that still drives them to this day. You can see it in how they talk about their fellow Americans, with contempt and sneering scorn. And it will cost them again this election cycle. 

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1