Real estate sector to propose alternative to foreigners buying land in Thailand

webfact

45 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

If you are coming here to retire RENT. 

End of story. Thailand is not bad if you don't get caught up in their scams.

Some very nice rentals here, and when the place needs repairs move to the next newest one. They are a dime a dozen here.

Nah, money lost forever.

At least leave her a home to live in after your gone. just don't spend to much for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol. Whatever they come up with, it will be unrealistic and not favour the foreigner. I can see their point regards preventing rich Chinese business folk, or whatever, buying the place up in certain areas, but for, say, genuine retirees who just want to be secure in their home, whatever is proposed will likely suck giant monkey balls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I see this as others here do; Its a "fake sale" (ukrules) for sure.  I waffled on about this the other day when the News feeds and Thai emanating objections were dropped  into the internet-sphere.

Being a growing 'grumpy-old-man' lol ???? and parallel pessimist I won't be holding my shallow breath in the hope some semblance of sanity, and moderacy ever arises on this subject by Thai authorities.

.16 of a Rai what a bl.ody farce. 

• Like 1

I really do not understand what the intention is for this proposal:

they can propose realistic requirements to encourage sale that we will accept /buy or 

they can discourage and we will not bite 

so what exactly are they trying to do?

If unsure, why even propose ? TIT

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A bit of a naive view.

'They' are not a dime a dozen here on Samui.

22 years ago I 'bought' the land and put three houses on it.

I sold one house and had 160% return on my original investment.

I have just sold the second house and made more money again.

Where is the benefit in renting?

Guess you can do what ever you want with your money. I come here to enjoy myself not hassle with buying property I cannot own, build and invest here. I have done that already.. Why would anyone come here on retirement and want to invest? 

I would say people that come here and invest in property and homes are the most likely to get scammed..  Or any business here for that matter. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I would say people that come here and invest in property and homes are the most likely to get scammed..  Or any business here for that matter. 

Only ignorant or stupid people that don't do any research beforehand.  No different than living in any other country.

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Lol. Whatever they come up with, it will be unrealistic and not favour the foreigner. I can see their point regards preventing rich Chinese business folk, or whatever, buying the place up in certain areas, but for, say, genuine retirees who just want to be secure in their home, whatever is proposed will likely suck giant monkey balls. 

but it probably will not restrict the chinese buyer, who can usually "find" or maybe "rent" a Sino-Thai "cousin" to complete the paperwork....

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Sounds like a lease but full details are not given in the proposal.

In essence they appear to be offering something that looks like a purchase as a long term rental where you pay the whole lot up front.

A fake sale if you will.

How long would it last for if it's not permanent and what happens to the land at the end of the term?

I'm going to presume that ownership returns to the original seller because the foreigner can't own the glorious land on which the accomodation sits.

Where I come from we call that a rental, likely a very long term rental where you pay decades worth of rent up front - but still a rental all the same and likely without any kind of the services you would expect from a rental.

In other words, they're proposing something that would rip us off.

Which would be a bit like land leases in Canberra. What will happen there after 2035 was an unanswered  question frequently asked, while no one was really concerned. But who  could trust a Thai government?

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:
45 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Bar stool piffle and poor advice at best.  I purchased the westcoast house by the beach I am currently in for 270K Thai baht.  Freehold detached rendered brick split level on full red chanote block.  I have a life usufruct in my name stamped on the back of the title and it cost me 75 baht to do that at the local land office.  My GF is named on the front of the Chanote as the owner and she has a will registered with the Amphur leaving the property to me in the event that she dies.

My house is connected to town water and this months bill was 80 baht including 20baht water meter rental.

Because I have a house in this vilage I am allowed to moor my fishing boats at a community owned spot in the local estuary.  I actually moor mine right next to the OrBorTor's boat.  Similiar mooring oportunities in Phuket would cost me hundreds of thousands of baht every year (per boat).

Please explain to me in simple terms, like I am a four year old, or a golden retriever, why I would be better off renting?

Wait until she decides that if your dead she gets the house ,  that could be one reason , you won’t know until Bf helps you along . Ps I hope you live a long life and die of old age doing what you like best. Also she can change her will and not tell you , you won’t know until she’s gone

Edited by Foghorn
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow, sounds like you have read to many horror stories.  Many of us have bought condos and homes, never scammed.  You invest what you can and at the end of the day you either enjoy what you have or you don't, no sour grapes either way.  Of course if you do not have the extra cash to do so then it makes sense to just rent.  One wonders if people who have Thai partners, long term partners, never plan for them after they are gone.  To me that is just selfish to leave someone whom has given you a large portion of there life with nothing.  

Nonsense, most come over here with no idea what is going on. The last thing that they need to do is invest. I would venture to say no matter how much money you have the number one thing people regret when retiring here is buying property and investing heavely.

AS far as women goes? You can plan for them and yourself more security than buying land and building houses for them..  I am always amazed at the guys that give this advice.  

Personally I set up a trust for my GF here. With payments to her until she dies. Then the stocks will be sold and given to my heirs.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Bar stool piffle and poor advice at best.  I purchased the westcoast house by the beach I am currently in for 270K Thai baht.  Freehold detached rendered brick split level on full red chanote block.  I have a life usufruct in my name stamped on the back of the title and it cost me 75 baht to do that at the local land office.  My GF is named on the front of the Chanote as the owner and she has a will registered with the Amphur leaving the property to me in the event that she dies.

My house is connected to town water and this months bill was 80 baht including 20baht water meter rental.

Because I have a house in this vilage I am allowed to moor my fishing boats at a community owned spot in the local estuary.  I actually moor mine right next to the OrBorTor's boat.  Similiar mooring oportunities in Phuket would cost me hundreds of thousands of baht every year (per boat).

Please explain to me in simple terms, like I am a four year old, or a golden retriever, why I would be better off renting?

I would but if you are a golden retriever then it would be lost on you.  270K baht.. Did you buy it 25 years ago... haha.. Post some pics.

Only an idiot would buy property here in another persons name.  I would bet to venture 5 out of 10 end in a disaster. And I would venture to say it would be more like 8 out of 10.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Nonsense, most come over here with no idea what is going on. The last thing that they need to do is invest. I would venture to say no matter how much money you have the number one thing people regret when retiring here is buying property and investing heavely.

AS far as women goes? You can plan for them and yourself more security than buying land and building houses for them..  I am always amazed at the guys that give this advice.  

Personally I set up a trust for my GF here. With payments to her until she dies. Then the stocks will be sold and given to my heirs.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. So tell us how much h you lost.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like sour grapes to me. So tell us how much h you lost.

I have never lost one penny? Actually my net value has doubled since I started traveling here ..

Edited by Gknrd