Is Thailand a better place to live then in western countries

kingstonkid

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can agree with Canada, though not a fan of the weather half the year.

USA not making the list, and quality of life is/was excellent, for me.   Guess it depends who you talk to and how you ask.

Netherlands, short visit, but enjoyed.  Food sucks.

Sweden, short visit, lacks a bit, and weather not so great.

Loved every Caribbean Isle I've been to, along with Mexico, and would take them over my impressions of EU / UK nanny states.

TH or the Americas for me.  Rest of SEA/Asia doesn't interest me at all, as I need good infrastructure.  

Agree! Holland (and Belgium) I found pleasant and friendly. No issues with the food but I'm not adventurous. Cafes, snacks, coffee, beer and especially their chocolate is great. For islands; Malta is great weather wise, Cyprus OK but Madeira does it for me. As regards North America, Mexico City and surrounding towns have everything. in South; Colombia, Brasil, Uruguay and Argentina are good. Chile less so. Spent 12 years in Paraguay but the poor (and worsening) infrastructure plus road blocks with all document checks was too much.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the NY Times article as to the hoto above:

In places like Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel Island and Pine Island, just west of Fort Myers, an easygoing existence that once revolved around seashell hunts, shrimping, turtle-watching, taking in sunsets over the Gulf, and the ebb and flow of a seasonal tourist economy had been obliterated.

That reminds me of my visit to Phi Phi Island about 25 years ago. At that time they allowed only day trips. No structures were allowed on that island. It was beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Mexico City and surrounding towns have everything.     

Tried retiring there first. Loved Polanco, like a tropical Paris.

Downsides: less English spoken then you'd think, rents are at least double of here, no freely available Ganga, you really have to love a pork taco in its many variations.

And the inevitable cataclysmic earth quake that will surely some day happen in that sinking lake bed of a town.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

On balance though I think I prefer our suburban life here in the US, and Thailand as our vacation destination. Here, life is maybe I could describe it as boring. Everything works, all the time, we go to work no drama, versus the chaos that can, not always be our life in Thailand 

Funny that you should mention the chaos in Thailand versus the US of A on mid-term election day in US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

I'm also Canadian, lived and based out of Thailand for 26 years.

Lived and worked on 6 continents and about 15 countries

Now happily moved back to sunny Alberta and couldn't be happier(lovely -23C this morning)

Wanted my son to grow up and go to school in Canada

Haven't been bitten by a mosquito, or broken a sweat in over a year.

Don't miss Thailand in the least and I will never go back.

Kids school was a biggie for us. Our son had grown up in Singapore. High school in Thailand was awful. He went to college in Chicago and within a month told us he was never coming back to Thailand. That was the catalyst for Momma Bear and we were on our way to a green card. I was already bored with Thailand and she was <deleted> off with her career prospects. So here we are

To me, the most poignant comment on living in the USA over these last few days:

“I come from a generation that has gone through more mass-shooting drills than fire drills,” he said then. “This is something that my generation has had to face head-on: being scared to go to school, being scared to go to church, being scared to be in your community. That gives me a sense of urgency.”

25-Year-Old Florida Democrat Secures Generation Z’s First House Seat
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/08/us/politics/maxwell-frost-florida-house.html

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

On balance though I think I prefer our suburban life here in the US, and Thailand as our vacation destination. Here, life is maybe I could describe it as boring. Everything works, all the time, we go to work no drama, versus the chaos that can, not always be our life in Thailand 

Would you feel the same without your 'Thai take-out'?

Lots of older white guys don't like living without a woman.

I prefer living in Asia where my pension means I never need be in bed alone.

(Title should really be 'Is living in Asia better than living in the West')

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I'm also Canadian, lived and based out of Thailand for 26 years.

Lived and worked on 6 continents and about 15 countries

Now happily moved back to sunny Alberta and couldn't be happier(lovely -23C this morning)

Wanted my son to grow up and go to school in Canada

Haven't been bitten by a mosquito, or broken a sweat in over a year.

Don't miss Thailand in the least and I will never go back.

Just because Thailand was the wrong country for you, doesn't mean it isn't great for others.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could. Never wanted to leave it.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, 473geo said:

I guess it depends if you think a mind trained 'not to think too much' is a healthy mind 

However the environment created by such can give an overall relaxed appearance ????

I wish I could learn the art of not thinking too much. We sure have an overly glorified view of our own over worked intellects. 

I think many of us prefer life here to life back home. I would only consider going back to the US if I was offered a $3 million a year job, or someone sponsored me for the same amount. Then I would leave after 2 to 3 years. Most people I know there do not have much of a life. Most Thai people seem more fulfilled. I know I am. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Tried retiring there first. Loved Polanco, like a tropical Paris.

Downsides: less English spoken then you'd think, rents are at least double of here, no freely available Ganga, you really have to love a pork taco in its many variations.

And the inevitable cataclysmic earth quake that will surely some day happen in that sinking lake bed of a town.

Agree! So many options in and around Mexico City. I found everyone spoke perfect English but it may have just been a fluke. Did you ever get to Ciudad Azteca? The shopping mall adjacent to the Metro station is absolutely fantastic.