New marijuana regulations could spell the end of vans selling weed, smoking cafes and online flowers

webfact

4 hours ago, Spock said:

All this nonsense you read in here about a flower (@700 baht a gram) being slipped into food that is probably cheaper than the flower placed in it! Just astounds me how dangerous a tiny bit knowledge can be in the hands of the uneducated, including boomers who obviously failed to boom but should still know better. If a leaf or two had been slipped into anything, the imbiber would be none the wiser, but no one is going to waste an expensive bud sticking it in the food of some consumer. Why would they do it? What would they hope to gain? 

Once the punters get hooked on all the reefer pills in the food, they will be chucking up flowers willy-nilly.  Replacement theory suggests they will be back for the devil's pad kapow lettuce (kai dao) again in short order.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, PJPom said:

All I can say is GOOD, how many others think legalising Cannabis was wrong.

I now wait to be told I am a boomer and know nothing.

The legalization was not wrong; it was the way that Anutin and the great one did it.

You can not legalize something that you know nothing about and not have the rules established as to what can and can not be done.

This was Anutin trying to become the next PM and nothing more.

The department that should have been consulted first finally grew a pair and since the government will not do anything, they stepped in with the big hammer and did it for them.

It is the same thing as governments in the West instead of passing legislation relying on the courts to take action so that they can look good to the voters.

As to the alcohol issue, wait for it I am sure the non-elected people will step up and make that decision for them also.

Let's face it politicians are useless they are too worried about getting re-elected and making their money from others to do anything 

7 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I was just in Pai over the weekend and those dirty pot smoking hippies are going to be devastated if these new rules happen. 

I imagine that it will take a few years for the news to filter through to Pai, and a few more years for the hippies to comprehend what they are being told.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

So is cannabis still. It hasn’t gone anywhere nor is it going anywhere they just restricting advertising. 

Seems like more restrictions than that.  

Just have to wait and see.  I believe the government just sees a way to profit immensely and wants a piece of the pie. 

8 hours ago, Spock said:

I am a boomer and know a hell of a lot more than the younger generation about marijuana. Your youth was obviously nowhere near as misspent as it could or should have been. 

Whether legalising was right or wrong, what is wrong is allowing so many people and businesses to spend a lot of money setting up what they thought was a legal trade then change the regulations and force them out of business. The government should not be making up policies as they go along. This is just another example of the Thai government not thinking through a situation before introducing new regulations to the public.

That is not exactly accurate.  All the gov't did was decriminalize marijuana.  Selling marijuana for recreational use was never a part of that.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

Same old story and I expected this to happen. In Thailand nothing is ever thought through before it is announced. This was made legal very quickly and people have disregarded what the intention of legislation was. They said all along "it wasn't intended for marijuana to be used recreationally", but that is what has happened. I gave the stuff up in 1991 so it doesn't bother me. I hope those who are sick can still benefit from its use though.

13 hours ago, PJPom said:

boomer and know nothing.

I'm a boomer and know you are wrong.

What has happened in Thailand is thy couldn't organise a p-up in a brewery. or a high in a hash house.

Like most laws in Thailand they are implemented by dictum and totally un-thought out.

There is also a lot of confusion between quackery and any social harm.

The social damage caused by cannabis compared to alcohol is insignificant but the medical benefits or cannabis are so insignificant as to be worthless yet the government went down the medical path - how daft can you get????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Same old story and I expected this to happen. In Thailand nothing is ever thought through before it is announced. This was made legal very quickly and people have disregarded what the intention of legislation was. They said all along "it wasn't intended for marijuana to be used recreationally", but that is what has happened. I gave the stuff up in 1991 so it doesn't bother me. I hope those who are sick can still benefit from its use though.

" Thailand nothing is ever thought through before it is announced" absolutely - it is asymption of recreational users that they think by trying to push it as a"medicine" they can then get to use it recreationally...... total red-herring as it is almost useless medically.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

The legalization was not wrong; it was the way that Anutin and the great one did it.

You can not legalize something that you know nothing about and not have the rules established as to what can and can not be done.

This was Anutin trying to become the next PM and nothing more.

The department that should have been consulted first finally grew a pair and since the government will not do anything, they stepped in with the big hammer and did it for them.

It is the same thing as governments in the West instead of passing legislation relying on the courts to take action so that they can look good to the voters.

As to the alcohol issue, wait for it I am sure the non-elected people will step up and make that decision for them also.

Let's face it politicians are useless they are too worried about getting re-elected and making their money from others to do anything 

There wasn't any department stepping with a big hammer. It was all Anutin's work and he even signed the two page decree himself.  Anutin's Cannabis and Hemp Bill, which contains very similar provisions was voted down by the Democrat party MPs in the govt coalition. With no Cannabis Act in place, Anutin is vulnerable to attacks from the conservatives in the next election, criticising him for creating a free for all. So he went for a stop gap solution in the form of a ministerial regulation he could issue himself. This is obviously much easier to repeal than an act of parliament but Anutin is banking on still being able to conrol the Public Health Ministry.  Anutin is basically going for the minimal regulation he can get away with without triggering a conservative backlash that could harm his prospects in the next elections.  

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

" Thailand nothing is ever thought through before it is announced" absolutely - it is asymption of recreational users that they think by trying to push it as a"medicine" they can then get to use it recreationally...... total red-herring as it is almost useless medically.

I agree, however some do say it helps alleviate the symptoms and pain of certain conditions, so I'm not against its use for "medical purposes" for that reason.

I have a friend with chronic arthritis who hates all the painkillers and says it works. He used to work in a nuclear power station control room so he is a pretty sensible and responsible person.

39 minutes ago, shdmn said:

That is not exactly accurate.  All the gov't did was decriminalize marijuana.  Selling marijuana for recreational use was never a part of that.

It's pretty clear that, in spite of their protestations about intending to legalize for medical use only, marijuana for recreational use was exactly the main intent. Top BJP worthies have huge vested interests in plantations. If medical use only was all that was required, why bother to legalize the buds? Medical marijuana was legalized in 2019 and available in clinics all over the coutry, mainly in oil form.  The emphasis on keeping extracts with more than 0.2% THC illegal was smoke and mirrors to make most people including govt MPs from other parties believe that only CBD plants would be legal.  The strategy worked well. 

49 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

some do say it helps

The evidence is so thin it is really to be ignored. Anecdotal evidence I'm afraid is just a joke  - "I have a friend who...."

The truth is that the only way that cannabis can be verified is by proper scientific process - e.g. double blind peer reviewed papers and not just one either,

There has been some serious evidence that it might have effects on fits/tremors etc - but there simply isn' enough research done.

You may have noticed that almost every quack medicine has the same sort of claims - they always claim to relieve pain - the reason for this is that pain is almost completely subjective - it is impossible to measure in any factual way and is also subject to psychological issues and even placebo effects.

However the fact that in most of the world cannabis has been illegal for years means that there has in fact been very little research done and that that has is very shallow.

There is a massive problem with cannabis and medication and that is that so many people WANT it to be some kind of miracle cure that it is now subject to every quack, hypochondriac and con-man to jump in and claim its efficacy. so-called papers are released that when looked at tun out to be nothing more than wishful thinking r cherrypicking and anecdotal evidence - but the Thai healthcare system which allows both TCM and McDonalds into their premises is a soft target for this kind of poppy-cock.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

This could see the end of places like Sukhumvit Soi 11 in Bangkok, for example, where vans line the street, notes ASEAN NOW. It could also mark the end of street stalls selling weed in the area. 

A free for all instigated by Anutin.. the so called health minister?

Seems more like profit before professionalism.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, bamnutsak said:

Asssuming the van has a license then they can still sell flower. Whether they can get the "appropriate" license might be an issue? Not sure what new criteria might be required.

What actually happens will be similar to what happens everywhere - a black market develops and what used to be prosecution for 'selling illegal drugs', becomes prosecution for 'selling without a license'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back and forth, forth and back and forth, flip flop, U-turn 1,2,3

How often rules and laws are enacted, changed and withdrawn again and that in a very short time is amazing. The rug is being pulled out from under the feet of many small entrepreneurs again.

This lack of planning ultimately leads to chaos. Law creating amateurs.

21 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

These guys just can't make up their minds. And they wonder why attempts to get business to Thailand largely fails. First they go off half cocked and adopt an "anything goes" policy. Now they don't like what they decided.

This hurts businesspeople. You'd think they'd want to help them.

For many years the whole business of Thai thinking - particularly politicians - really upset me. The Thais are delightful people - warm and friendly - but why why why did government and immigration policy change direction from one day to the next? Then, one day, it suddenly came to me.

If you fix the idea in your head that Thai policy makers are 11 years old, it all makes perfect sense.

Confused thinking, the sudden changes of mind, tantrums and petulance, and an adolecscent proccupation with following trends combined with a desperate need to appear cool and superior . . . just think of the country being run by the top year of a primary school ('grade school') class and it all makes sense!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:09 AM, lujanit said:

Walking along Sukhumvit yesterday there are a lot of shops selling weed.  There has been some serious money put into setting them up.  I just see these rules as another opportunity for the BIB to extort owners.  Very little will change.

Government making a U turn on a law it passed How Unusual..

On 11/15/2022 at 2:25 PM, Spock said:

Whether legalising was right or wrong, what is wrong is allowing so many people and businesses to spend a lot of money setting up what they thought was a legal trade then change the regulations and force them out of business

And this is after the wreckage to businesses here caused by covid.  I'd be absolutely livid.

The people just went through so much already.  Give them a break <deleted>.

• Like 1