Old men drinking a beer at breakfast time in bars along beach road pattaya.

jack71

by Jim Tripper;

I guess it depends on what your used to if your coming in from a bad environment it looks great, or some people just see positive in everything, I’m not sure ????????‍♂️. "

I didn't understand above so I Googled and got the answer. Makes sense now.

"What does tripper mean in slang?
(slang) someone who has taken a psychedelic drug and is undergoing hallucinations. type of: drug user, substance abuser, user. a person who takes drugs."

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2023 at 6:35 AM, Pattaya57 said:

I just can't imagine that in Pattaya. I eat out all the time and pretty much everywhere I eat could be called a bar (very few pure restaurants that I know of)

You live in Pattaya and you don't know any "pure restaurants" that aren't bars? I've been eating in pure restaurants in Pattaya since I arrived 18 years ago. I've never eaten a meal in a bar as I prefer pure restaurants.

You could start your discovery tour in Terminal 21 and Central Mall.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Many of the old expats in Thailand were oil workers, military or the sort of jobs where you "worked hard and played hard". The sort of jobs that socially turn in on themselves - for most of their lives they have no interaction with society outside work except for the few times they stagger around "civvy street" in a drunken haze.

If you weren't working you were drinking.

So when they finally get to retire they don't know what to do.

They have given up working so they just continue to do what they did when they weren't working...drink.

Most have no hobbies, education or interests so all that is left to them is drink

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Many of the old expats in Thailand were oil workers, military or the sort of jobs where you "worked hard and played hard". The sort of jobs that socially turn in on themselves - for most of their lives they have no interaction with society outside work except for the few times they stagger around "civvy street" in a drunken haze.

If you weren't working you were drinking.

So when they finally get to retire they don't know what to do.

They have given up working so they just continue to do what they did when they weren't working...drink.

Most have no hobbies, education or interests so all that is left to them is drink

I agree, in the USA they are called “blue collar” workers. Manual laborers basically, though some can be high paying skilled occupations. Pattaya attracts this sort of retiree. Not so much “white collar” retirees, which would be professionals with higher education and advanced degrees, typically.

Something to consider.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I agree, in the USA they are called “blue collar” workers. Manual laborers basically, though some can be high paying skilled occupations. Pattaya attracts this sort of retiree. Not so much “white collar” retirees, which would be professionals with higher education and advanced degrees, typically.

Something to consider.

Thailand isn't a destination for western 'white collar' workers.

Don't think I've ever encountered another expat with a degree.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

I did not say there was anything “wrong” with blue collar retirees and women of I’ll repute, it’s just my experience.

My main motivation for posting is to give info so people considering a move know what to expect.

Edited by JimTripper

21 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Wow, so everyone you meet in a bar you automatically think they are lying. What a way to go through life ???? 

Nope, I generally believe everyone I meet that claim to have been postmen, builders, painters and decorators, etc.

But my real name isn't Pollyanna.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JayClay said:

So can you clarify your claim that you haven't met anybody with a degree please?

Have you never actually met anybody who claims to have a degree? Or is it the case that you have, in fact, met people who claim to have degrees, however this is such an improbable achievement (in your eyes) that you have just chosen to not believe them?

I don't think too much about people I don't know.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JayClay said:

So can you clarify your claim that you haven't met anybody with a degree please?

Have you never actually met anybody who claims to have a degree? Or is it the case that you have, in fact, met people who claim to have degrees, however this is such an improbable achievement (in your eyes) that you have just chosen to not believe them?

Most times I can tell if someone has an advanced degree without being told. There is something in the mindset and conversation that indicates they never made it further then elementary school.

• Thanks 1

20 years ago entered Munich airport a 7am and there was a large person drinking beer with breakfast. Surprised then as it was the first time I had seen this. However, after years of Thai Visa then ASEAN now I understand why religious day alcohol bans cause such an uproar.