METV visa staying in thailand for up to 9 months?

Any Aussies getting an METV from Canberra. There is no mention of it other than it being listed as a tick box on their visa form. There seems only to be the single offered because no mention of multiple in their menu and descriptions as there used to be precovid.

I'll be calling in a week or so to try for a visa and ask for the old style 1 year non o based on condo ownership. Not likely!

1 hour ago, Des1 said:

Khao jai, khrup ???? I am still interested to hear from anyone who actually had their visa rejected on arrival. Lots of stories about hassles at immigration (like mine), but nothing beyond that.

I have no first hand knowledge. However, there were quite a number of credible reports pre Covid, including from people arriving at Suvarnabhumi with freshly minted METVs from their home country.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I have no first hand knowledge. However, there were quite a number of credible reports pre Covid, including from people arriving at Suvarnabhumi with freshly minted METVs from their home country.

Ok, thanks. Happy to hear from anyone who had Visa issues at passport control.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would pass along my experience arriving at Don Mueang today.

I hold a METV and was doing a border hop to Phnom Penh. Last time i did this back in December I was pulled aside by a IO Supervisor and asked a bunch of questions. So, I was a little worried and also wondered, with immigration being in the news for all the wrong reasons lately, what the mood would be?

Well, there were six booths fully staffed. There were staff showing people to the shortist line. There were extra IO's standing behind each booth in case of a problem. There were no angry glares (maybe just my imagination from previous entries), no questions, no flipping through every page of my passport. I got through there so fast it made my head spin. 555

In conclusion I would say the process can run quick and smooth .. IF THEY WANT TO MAKE THE EFFORT.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:01 AM, DrJack54 said:

Multiple entry visas don't have a limit of the number of entries.

Folk should not apply too early for ME visas as they have a life span from issue.

In the case of METV it's a 6 month validity and indeed if timed well you can have almost 9 months stay using 30 day extension for last reentry just prior to expiry of the visa. 

just curious, can you give an example about how 6 month validity can be turned into 9 months?

say I am flying to Thailand April 1, and I apply online for a METV on March 1, maybe I receive the Visa by March 15, it is then valid till Sept 15,

I do the 60 days and 30 day extension ; leave to Lao, and return the next day , do another 60+30 which would put my near the Sept 15 cut off, does exiting and return via Lao Land crossing going to get me another 60 days beyond the Sept 15  "visa validity" ?

and can one do a 30 day extension on that last "days stamped in" past the validity?

2)

there is a little warning when applying for METV that says one "must have a legitimate reason for a long-stay" ; and if it fails, one forfiets the METV fee for a single-entry, any comments?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chubby said:

does exiting and return via Lao Land crossing going to get me another 60 days beyond the Sept 15  "visa validity" ?

Yes it does.

Your example is clear.

You exit and reenter just prior to expiry of the visa and you will be stamped in for 60 days.

That permission of stay can also be extended by 30 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes it does.

Your example is clear.

You exit and reenter just prior to expiry of the visa and you will be stamped in for 60 days.

That permission of stay can also be extended by 30 days.

Just to confirm ... I have done this before.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to jump on the thread but think my question is relevant…

When you’re doing the final re-entry (that will grant you permission to stay past the visa expiry date), do you need any specific documents similar to an exempt entry e.g.

- Flight out within 60 days?

- 20,000 cash or equivalent?

- Accommodation booking? 
- Other?

2 minutes ago, Chalky0w said:

do you need any specific documents similar to an exempt entry e.g.

- Flight out within 60 days?

- 20,000 cash or equivalent?

- Accommodation booking? 
- Other

No.

With valid visa the items you list are not required 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 11:25 AM, TimeMachine said:

Any Aussies getting an METV from Canberra. There is no mention of it other than it being listed as a tick box on their visa form. There seems only to be the single offered because no mention of multiple in their menu and descriptions as there used to be precovid.

I'll be calling in a week or so to try for a visa and ask for the old style 1 year non o based on condo ownership. Not likely!

Any luck with the METV or non-o? My embassy also does not have METV listed anymore on their website. I am wondering if they are now issued only by some specific embassies.

25 minutes ago, Alldar said:

Any luck with the METV or non-o? My embassy also does not have METV listed anymore on their website. I am wondering if they are now issued only by some specific embassies.

The form to print out still has it as a checkbox. So I rang and all was as usual with METV but still a measly 2 months at a time. It's tiresome doing the border run. I will do retirement soon when I'm ready to do more of a complete full year, year after year. Good luck. I wish you the best. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, oMega69 said:

I can find the METV option under Touristvisa 60d . . . .

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa (thaievisa.go.th)

I wasn't talking about E-Visa website, I was talking about Thai embassy website in my country. There is no METV mentioned there. Not all the visas which are available on the E-Visa website are automatically available to every country. I will double check this with my embassy before applying.