Sinsod

FriendlyFarang

10 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow.  It almost sounds like this could be an incompatible relationship with her family?  If they expect million(s) now then what about the future.  Did you consider asking this question: What would a Thai groom be expect to pay?  Would this question be considered as insulting? 

Actually there was a bit sinsod talk in the past when I was present as well. Back then their words were more like "Give what you are comfortable with".

Yesterday was just between her family and my girlfriend, without me present. If I would ask them this question I wouldn't get a straight answer, but I guess it's simply: As much as they can get.

They probably assume that all farangs make a few million baht per month, and I should be comfortable to give them one month of my salary, or something like this...

It’s partly a business, if partly means 99 percent 

400k to save money in Thailand on marriage visa.   
if in farangland, you might be a little happier but spend millions more.
sinsot is ok at the right number.  
since no guarantees and you can lose it all in a second….

go the 800k retirement route instead.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow.  It almost sounds like this could be an incompatible relationship with her family?  If they expect million(s) now then what about the future.  Did you consider asking this question: What would a Thai groom be expect to pay?  Would this question be considered as insulting? 

They just need a reality check, mine got nothing. I have a good relationship with most of them. I had some arguments over the years with a couple but don't take any sht and they respect me for that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I wonder what the gf has actually told her parents about the wealth of her farang bf?

To gain face has she told them 'he's extremely wealthy', and that's what's driving their request for several million. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously it funny to joke about this, especially from our perspective.

But I wonder about the situation of those parents. Imagine they have a pretty daughter, and she marries a farang and then that farang doesn't pay big money.

Will that family be respected in the village without new pickup and all that?

Will the neighbors agree that true love counts, and money doesn't really matter? Or will everybody ask: How much did he give you?

I guess it's not so easy for some parents of those girls.

Depends on the standing of the family I think, if it's a poor family, then what you say is probably true.

My girlfriend's family is not rich, but they are doing just fine, so in my opinion they could easily get away by saying "We are doing well by ourselves, we don't want their money, they should use it to build their future and they will support us when we don't work anymore" or something like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I wonder what the gf has actually told her parents about the wealth of her farang bf?

To gain face has she told them 'he's extremely wealthy', and that's what's driving their request for several million. 

This thought also crossed my mind, so I asked her this already, she says she didn't say something like that.

I've also been to her home a few times, usually wear clothes for a few hundred baht, we drive my girlfriend's car to go there, and they know we live in a rented house.

So it seems to be based on "being a farang" alone.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

"If you don't ask, you don't get"........I suspect that it is no more intelligent than that.

On the other hand, it is not unusual for a Farang to boast about/inflate their status...... after all, most bar dwellers in Pattaya sois 6/7/8 seem to be surgeons or airline pilots.

And more than a few gynecologists too ????

• Like 1

We didn't have the stupid village marriage but I paid 800000 Bahts which allowed the ILs to get a decent house. I promised that if I survive that long we'll have some celebration at the "first booboom"  20th anniversary, which will be, roughly, the 15th anniversary of our legal wedding. 

But no more Sin sot.

• Thumbs Up 1