Two children dead in school van after car driver gets overtaking move wrong

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that Muang Phichit police and rescue services in central/NE Thailand were called to KM 98-99 on the Phichit to Sak Lek Road in Pa Makhap sub-district after a collision between three vehicles.

A Hyundai utility vehicle had collided head on with a school van full of students. 

Also at the scene was a Toyota car with damage. 

Rescue services had to cut out victims from the school van wreckage.

At one point sparks from the equipment ignited a fire. The van had an LPG gas tank.

Crowds were told to stand back as a water truck was brought in.

18 people mostly students were hurt. Later it was confirmed that two students had died. 

The injured were taken to two hospitals in the Phichit area.

The driver of the Toyota admitted to getting a passing move wrong and clipping the back of the school van that was then driven off course into the path of the oncoming Hyundai resulting in the devastation. 

That was the initial sense of the accident but police are continuing the investigation looking at all angles. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:
1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Lunatics on the roads everywhere!...Overtake when a vehicle is coming the other way..no problem at all!

Where was it reported that was what happened here?

In the Op... The Hyundai was the on-coming vehicle... 

That said - it looks like the road is one with two lanes in each direction, so overtaking itself may not be an issue... but overtaking so close and timing it so poorly obviously was - as ChrisY1 mentioned, lunatics... 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The driver of the Toyota admitted to getting a passing move wrong and clipping the back of the school van that was then driven off course into the path of the oncoming Hyundai resulting in the devastation. 

Any road in Thailand without a ‘central divide’ is utterly lethal and frightening...  

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Rescue services had to cut out victims from the school van wreckage.

At one point sparks from the equipment ignited a fire. The van had an LPG gas tank.

Crowds were told to stand back as a water truck was brought in.

18 people mostly students were hurt. Later it was confirmed that two students had died. "

Letus hope that the rescue services did not add to the death toll......

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

There is no way I would ever put a child of mine in one of these school buses.

They are packed in like sardines with a driver up front who almost certainly has no understanding of the meaning of the phrase "health and safety".

I've witnessed for myself the corner cutting, illegal  maneuvers these school bus drivers do just to save a few seconds.

They are an accident waiting to happen particularly with the many reckless drivers that plague Thai roads everyday.

The kids safety is not a priority within these old and poorly maintained and driven vehicles.

Nice rant. But the school van driver didn't cause the accident.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They are packed in like sardines with a driver up front who almost certainly has no understanding of the meaning of the phrase "health and safety".

I've witnessed for myself the corner cutting, illegal  maneuvers these school bus drivers do just to save a few seconds.

They are an accident waiting to happen particularly with the many reckless drivers that plague Thai roads everyday.

The kids safety is not a priority within these old and poorly maintained and driven vehicles.

But the school bus did NOT cause the accident in this case so blaming the driver and/or the bus is simply victim blaming.

Point your finger of blame at the driver of the Toyota car with damage who admitted to getting a passing move wrong and clipping the back of the school van and pushing it into the path of the Hyundai utility vehicle who then collided head on with a school van full of students. 

• Like 1

That's why we take our five year old daughter to school every day 33km each way a total if 132km every day. But a lot of Thais can't afford to do that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Ten years in jail for manslaughter.. should help him think about his driving skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

In a country where no expense is spared by the State to provide the military annually with expensive aircraft, ships and ground vehicles, have you ever seen a State-owned (Minister of Education?) school (yellow) bus designed to safely transport students? No excuse.

A state owned yellow school bus with a suicide jockey?

RIP kids, more innocent souls lost to Thwilwnds road toll.

The PM of the country is prancing around trying to score brownie points by proclaiming more "Smart Cities" whilst ignoring Thailands appalling road accident record. The sheer number of injured and maimed people weighing down the health system must be astronomical in scale and the politicians don't want to be seen near this elephant in the room.

As for the public, they reap what they sow on the roads on a daily basis because of the selfish driving seen here.

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

In a country where no expense is spared by the State to provide the military annually with expensive aircraft, ships and ground vehicles, have you ever seen a State-owned (Minister of Education?) school (yellow) bus designed to safely transport students? No excuse.

That military (Junta) government was applauded and welcomed by ThaiVisa members were welcoming Tugsuban and his croonies of the PAD.

You got what you wished for.

Som Nam Naa

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

RIP kids, more innocent souls lost to Thwilwnds road toll.

The PM of the country is prancing around trying to score brownie points by proclaiming more "Smart Cities" whilst ignoring Thailands appalling road accident record. The sheer number of injured and maimed people weighing down the health system must be astronomical in scale and the politicians don't want to be seen near this elephant in the room.

As for the public, they reap what they sow on the roads on a daily basis because of the selfish driving seen here.

The PM of this country is in the first place a military who don't give a rats ass about 1 citizen.
That what they learned in the military school.

And judging the jerk reaction of the politicians lately, they have all the IQ of an amoebe when it comes to governing the country.

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

RIP the people that lost their lives in this horrible accident.

The driver that allegedly caused the accident at least manned up and took responsibility. More than what most people do. But that is not going to erase the damage and loss of life caused by the accident .  

Are you sure about that?
What if the 2 students died because of the inaptitude of the rescue services who caused a fire?