South Dakota is set to ban nearly all forms of gender-affirming care for minors

Social Media

CNN — 

South Dakota is set to prohibit nearly all forms of gender-affirming treatment for transgender minors after a proposed law gained sweeping approval through its state legislature.

The state Senate passed a House bill banning surgical and non-surgical gender-affirming treatment for minors on Thursday in a 30-4 vote, advancing the legislation to Gov. Kristi Noem’s desk. Noem will sign the bill into law, a spokesperson for the Republican governor told CNN on Friday.

The legislation bars puberty blocking medication in patients under the age of 18, as well as sex hormones and surgery related to gender transition.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The problem being that puberty blockers don't just delay puberty, they destroy it.  There is no long term research to suggest that the effects can be reversed.  Kids who are experiencing insecurity over gender can be treated with therapy and compassion until they are mature enough to decide what to do.  

A massive and unnecessary overreach by government.  Young people are not given puberty blockers or other interventions without a careful and full assessment by an array of medical providers.   Medically, puberty blockers are used on a number of conditions that have nothing to do with being trans, such as precocious puberty.   

Here's a little more:

• South Dakota lawmakers voted Wednesday on a bill that would make it criminal for doctors to provide puberty-blockers, hormones, or any gender-affirmation surgeries to anyone under the age of 16. 
  • The bill is supported by social conservatives in the state's Republican-controlled legislature who say that transgender people under 16 are "too young" to make medical decisions about their gender identity. 
  • A recent study found that trans kids have a firm grasp of their gender identity. Another found gender-affirming care reduces rates of suicide among transgender youth.

https://www.insider.com/south-dakota-bill-transgender-youth-gender-affirmation-2020-1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Doctors, you know the trained professionals that actually know a lot about gender affirming medical care, push back against the ignorant right wing bigots.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/3672270-medical-groups-call-on-doj-to-investigate-threats-targeting-gender-affirming-care/

Leading medical organizations are asking the Department of Justice to investigate a string of recent online attacks against hospitals that provide gender-affirming health care to transgender minors.

Right-wing commentators and social media users have accused children’s hospitals that provide gender-affirming care of abusing children.

Research has shown that access to gender-affirming medical care improves the overall mental health and well-being of transgender people, including transgender youth.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Doctors, you know the trained professionals that actually know a lot about gender affirming medical care, push back against the ignorant right wing bigots.

I'm sure money has something to do with that. If one makes a living doing such and part or all is for minors, this legislation impacts them in the wallet.

I actually knew personally many surgeons and they are by no means all doing it for altruistic reasons. Consultants usually get very wealthy from what they do.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Kristi Noem as is customary among these far right wing maga anti-trans demagogues is very much pro guns and very much anti gun control.

People that think such people care about children in any way are very mistaken.

These anti trans laws have nothing to do with protecting children. It's all politics. Demonizing trans people for political gain is the flavor of the decade among these opportunist Maga-heads. They don't stop there unless good people stop them. They don't call them culture WARS for nothing.

Absolutely. 

Look at some these paleo-conservative culture warriors seeking (or occupying) public office.  A few years back they could care less about these things, now they are on the front-line in support.  Two I could think of off-hand are Kari Lake and this Luna women who is suddenly in the spotlight: both were Obama boosters when they got into the politics game.  It's easier to be a conservative, just do what you're told and vote (and support) the party line, raise funds, pocket your contributions and sit on your thumbs.  Whatsat, you have ideas of your own?  WRONG PARTY!

When a Republican says "I care about children" it means they are anti-abortion; when the child is born it is then out of their field of vision, "people shouldn't have children unless they are prepared to take care of them."  ummmm....  At the KBJ hearings Marsha Blackburn boldly stated "I care about children!" as if that uniquely makes her a hero. 

For those seeking fame and fortune in politics GOP/conservatism is the way to go.  The toughest part of the job will be working the phones for fundraising -- GOP is really tough about this, they even send minions to grab Congress members when the session ends to "come across the street and work the phone".  Even moneybags Mitt Romney has to do it, he expresses his hatred of this in the media occasionally.

Unfortunately Christine Jorgensen is no longer with us to put these people in their place.

Jorgensen toured university campuses and other venues to speak about her experiences. She was known for her directness and polished wit. She once demanded an apology from Vice President Spiro T. Agnew when he called Charles Goodell "the Christine Jorgensen of the Republican Party". Agnew refused her request.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't place that much trust in doctors.

Weren't there a number of them claiming homosexuals were mentally ill?

You can always find doctors that will agree with any nonsense. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The rightwing obsession with other people’s gender is deserving of examination.

The left wing obsession with promoting deviant lifestyles needs no examination.

Interestingly enough the extreme left leaders (Stalin, Mao, etc) had an entirely different opinion.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The rightwing obsession with other people’s gender is deserving of examination.

Have to say I'm not up to speed with "gender affirming" procedures nor have I worked with any young people who were going through it. But in a state that allows marriage at 16, allows driving a car at 16, but now decides that they are not mature enough to seek this treatment until they are 18 seems a little confusing.

I guess you should expect nothing else from a state that also bans abortion as a result of rape.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have to say I'm not up to speed with "gender affirming" procedures nor have I worked with any young people who were going through it. But in a state that allows marriage at 16, allows driving a car at 16, but now decides that they are not mature enough to seek this treatment until they are 18 seems a little confusing.

I guess you should expect nothing else from a state that also bans abortion as a result of rape.

I would say the difference is that many so-called gender affirming treatments are permanent and may cause harm that will last a lifetime. Marriage and driving are not the same.  

Not sure the connection to abortion laws, except trying to paint a political picture. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I would say the difference is that many so-called gender affirming treatments are permanent and may cause harm that will last a lifetime. Marriage and driving are not the same.  

That's highly debatable. If in South Dakota your are legally mature enough to get married and have children with the children part being permanent then you should also be legally responsible enough to seek gender treatment. Equally if you are legally responsible enough to drive a car at 16 although the risk is higher of a fatal accident (yes permanent) at that age than any other age then you should also be able to seek the same treatment.

22 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Not sure the connection to abortion laws, except trying to paint a political picture. 

It was indeed, referencing the post I was replying to.