British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

Just to note from the crowd funder:

Ruby was riding a motorbike in Thailand when another motorbike travelling in the opposite direction went to overtake on the wrong side of the road and ploughed into her.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rubyspry

And from the DailyMail linked article:

But ahead of taking up the offer <Costa Rica> she had wanted to see Thailand and was on a Thai island when the crash occurred on February 9.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Funkymover said:

And I thought the government pay , after all didn't they just say, they pay out over 400 million baht on tourists  medical bills and that's the reason for the new, 300 baht landing tax 

Which with 20 million visitors annually will reap 6 billion baht. 

Unfortunately I’ve seen too many tourists with no motorcycle experience, hiring and riding motorcycles.
The locals have been on motorcycles, likely since they were 10 or 11 years old but there are so many serious accidents and fatalities among them too, so experience is no guarantee of safety. My wife has lost at least two male cousins through motor cycle accidents and another left a paraplegic, who eventually committed suicide due to the condition.

Lately the trend seems to be towards big motor cycles with the locals rather than the usual 110 and 125cc models so that’s not going to end well either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Exactly. This is extortion and should be a criminal offense. Treating a few broken bones does not cost 1.5 million baht. Not even close. They're overcharging her because she literally has no choice except pay up.

The insurance company known its a rip off as well. That's possibly why there relutant to payout. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

At 1.6+ million baht owing to them the hospital has every right to asks for their money, the problem is with the UK travel insurance that drags their feet in covering the expenses and not adding to the already mounting miseries and pains of everybody.

do you know that motorcycle riding was included in the cover? where's evidence to support your comment?

i have had two large claims from uk insurers, in excess of 40,000GBP, i found the companies to be efficient, professional and payment prompt and in full.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Another day, another British (woman) motorcycle accident GoFundMe.

While perhaps not at fault for the accident. Indirectly at fault for getting on a bike in Thailand anyway.

Cheap thrills, cheap transportation not so cheap...

40k GBP did she get a boob job as well? Oh, that's right it's perfectly legal and ethical to Thais to charge foreigners triple rates. So, what should be 13k is 40k. I see how that works.

Get well soon hon.

GoFundMe cut off the campaign for Canadian truckers during covid. Never see a satang from me.

You seem a bit confused.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Just to note from the crowd funder:

Ruby was riding a motorbike in Thailand when another motorbike travelling in the opposite direction went to overtake on the wrong side of the road and ploughed into her.

And from the DailyMail linked article:

But ahead of taking up the offer <Costa Rica> she had wanted to see Thailand and was on a Thai island when the crash occurred on February 9.

From the link, she appears happy and smiling, out of hospital, and they've already reached £30,000. My heart's stopped bleeding.

2 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

From how it sounds she was in extremely serious condition.  The story says she had a seven hour operation.  Which would be very extreme to begin with. . I would think that would justify the high medical cost alone. Also  with the aftercare she had to receive.   It’s not like she just had a broken arm and it was put in a cast. 
Too many people think they come to Thailand and everything should be inexpensive or a freebie.  Unfortunately that is not the case. 
The story says the “ Insurance. Company Is Dragging Their Heels ”.  That could mean the company is being slow to pay.  It doesn’t say they are refusing to pay.  

The family say now they are refusing. But with no further details, it's all meaningless.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

The story says the “ Insurance. Company Is Dragging Their Heels ”.  That could mean the company is being slow to pay.  It doesn’t say they are refusing to pay.  

From the crowd funding page:

Now we know the insurance company aren't going to pay out we’re fundraising to try and raise some of the costs we need to cover Ruby's surgery, hospital care and to bring her back home to recover. 

I am not sure where they arrive at these fees? I had a operation in the most expensive hospital in Bangkok, stayed 6 days in a luxurious private room, all medicines, doctor visits and it did not come to one eighth of that bill

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1