Three-Month Burn Ban Put in Place to Curb Haze, Wildfire

webfact

Ridiculous. 

Same talk every year.   

Not much a farmer can do.   They get so little money from the few families who actually control the trade of buying the product that it's impossible to clear the land responsibly and make enough money to survive. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Those who violate the rule will be penalized,

By whom?  How hard can it be to follow a plume of smoke to its source and arrest the landowner?  Police won't leave their A/C air-filtered offices to inhale carcinogenic smoke; that's only for the serfs.

14 hours ago, kickstart said:

Do what they do in my area and some others, bale it to big bales, it goes for biomass, or at our local mill gets used as fuel for boiling molasses.

No cane is burnt in our area, so it can be done

What area is that?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Captor said:

What area is that?

With respect, I would also like to know. Where I lived there were two large Mitrphol sugar refineries, one in Nong Rue and the other near Chumphae. All I ever witnessed were stacks of sugar canes entering, never any large bales, biomass or otherwise. Canes in - sugar and molasses out!!

On 2/17/2023 at 10:48 AM, Emdog said:

"Gen. Prayut Chan-ocha ordered the implementation of any possible measures to keep wildfire under control..."

Field burnings are now considered "wildfires"? So hard to keep up....

They have different fires in Thailand, as foreigners we don't understand.

20 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. Where I lived in rural Khon Kaen, burning sugar cane during the harvest was a nightly event - vehicles/people could not be seen. Every morning, I would wake to ash and burnt plant debris around and on the house. At first, it was burning the leaves and other debris left after the harvest, nowadays the fields are burnt to remove the dry leaves before harvesting leaving just the canes which can be cut more efficiently. More canes (without leaves) can then be stacked on a lorry providing a much better payload! This practice will never stop, whatever "distant" Bangkok decrees!

Sugarcane field burning stock photo. Image of asia, cane - 32562368

339 Processing Sugarcane Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos  from Dreamstime

Mind the cables. Somchai! Oops....to late! But seriously, those who say sugar is bad for you may be more right than they realize.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, I would also like to know. Where I lived there were two large Mitrphol sugar refineries, one in Nong Rue and the other near Chumphae. All I ever witnessed were stacks of sugar canes entering, never any large bales, biomass or otherwise. Canes in - sugar and molasses out!!

In this area you talk of it started last season and has increased this year.

Where i live west of Chumphae we have a biomass plant scheduled to be built for electricity.

Somchai might have a different view to many on here like why can't i burn one day a year when all these people drive around in vehicles 12 months a year.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1