British personal trainer needs £250,000 to get home from Thailand after falling from third-storey balcony and suffering horrific injuries while on holiday

webfact

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Isn't the Ombudsman only for affairs related to government?

No, I have used the Ombudsman, many years ago, around 1998, for a claim I made on my travel insurance. My wife had money stolen, around 1000USD, the insurance company refused to pay, because she was 'careless'. Ombudsmen came down in our favor, insurance had no choice to pay out, but it took several weeks. I don't think this guy can hang around in hospital, while the bills pile up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

What is it with travel insurance companies who are quick to tame your money but very slow and playing hard to get when the chips are down and they have to pay?

It's basically their business model.

I believe a claim handler's primary job is to find a way to avoid paying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

...it is not good to blame someone in his position, but how can he travel so faraway from his country without insurance?

Did not say in the full article that he did not have insurance, just they would not help, typical of those company's, take your money and look for anything in the small print to refuse claims. 

• Sad 1

Building code certifications are not the same here as UK, etc. So suing for low balconies,.good luck with that one.  But never read about a claim being voided over an unsafe balcony. I personally doubt it had anything to do with that.

Article is lacking detail regarding insurance claim issues.  Plenty of exclusions in clauses of policies to invalidate claims. Alcohol is a usual one, but there are specific conditions. A reasonable guess for voiding a claim in this case would be this. Repatriation cover may also be invalidated due to alcohol voiding claim from outset, or because it was not selected and paid for when cover initially taken out. 

I do feel sorry for the fellow.  Potentially will ruin him financially for life.

Edited by aussienam
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, itsari said:

The insurer would have to prove that alcohol was the root cause of the accident .  

Just the fact the insured has been drinking is not enough for the insurer to deny the claim .

That is interesting, many thanks. Gives cause to ponder! Moto accident claim can be rejected if not wearing helmet even though no head injuries suffered and, obviously, lack of helmet didn't cause the accident. I suppose the main factor would be the amount of alcohol but if the railing was extremely low and/or insecure?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

As I previously mentioned most policies would exclude accident due to intoxication, ditto suicide attempts.

Certainly a "fall from balcony" would raise questions in an insurer's mind. Though the onus of proving drugs or alcohol were involved, or that it was self-inflicted,  would fall on the insurer. If no evidence of same in his medical record then the family should appeal to the relevant Ombudsman. 

Yeah, you are right. However, I am pretty sure they do what they can to find such evidence from the hospital. That´s why dragging the case. Also, it´s very hard to believe that a person who is in the prime of their life just falls from a balcony. People just don´t go out and fall down. As the guy probably can´t prove that he was sober, they might try stating statistics in their favor. In that case they will find that the larger percentage is suicidal or affected by alcohol or other drugs.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

That is interesting, many thanks. Gives cause to ponder! Moto accident claim can be rejected if not wearing helmet even though no head injuries suffered and, obviously, lack of helmet didn't cause the accident. I suppose the main factor would be the amount of alcohol but if the railing was extremely low and/or insecure?

When I lived in Norway the insurance companies refused any payout if you had any alcohol in your blood . That changed after entering the agreement with the European Union . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Yes, you're right. And worse still, leaning against one, for instance with a drink in your hand chatting to a friend and simply tipping over backwards when it gives way. Nightmare. Maybe that's what happened here.

I don't know where this happened but couldn't a local paper, Pattaya/Phuket News, or some such, get to interview him or his girlfriend and find out?

All true. And the situation with balustrades probably will not change. I've been seeing these stories since I came here almost 14 years ago. There's never even been so much as a ripple of discontent over building safety. Doubt will see liability on the part of building owners/hotels either. But seeing the continuing body count related to falling off balconies, perhaps embassies should put a warning on their websites for their citizens to keep away from balustrades while in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, malibukid said:

why won't the NHS pay?  doesn't the Uk cover its citizens abroad?  why not?  could save the UK taxpayers millions

There are a few (not many) Countries that have reciprocal agreements with UK. Some of those give you the same treatment as a local would receive in that Country. Others provide emergency treatment only. 

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

Why do you think he didn't have insurance?

They don't want to help, that's the message I read. I wonder who his insurer is and why they're dragging their heels on paying?

Just an insurance company being an insurance company, probably looking through their fine print and legal jargon to avoid paying out.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

What is it with travel insurance companies who are quick to tame your money but very slow and playing hard to get when the chips are down and they have to pay?

In the majority of cases that does not happen, most insurance claims are met.  The usual reason for claims being denied is because the policy holder did not comply with the policy conditions and voided the policy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dazkkk said:

Do Thai hospitals take routine blood tests for alcohol consumption from patients admitted for emergency care, I doubt it.
So how can an insurance company know anyone had imbibed? 

Just because you'd like to doubt it doesn't mean that it cannot be established.

• Confused 1