‘I could have lost my life’: Tourist’s bungee cord snaps in midair in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Goat said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The group also planned to do the ’tree-top zip-line adventure’....  I put a stop to that, not in Thailand. 

Wife explained to the others, they actually understood and agreed...  

More likely to die on the roads going there.

But you are comparing a necessity (for travel) with something which is just a recreational activity participated in with far less people.

I wonder IF these activities were participated in to the same degree and numbers as people who ride / drive in Thailand how the ‘incident stats’ would look then.

Perhaps when comparing the stats on a level playing field (i.e. Deaths per 100,000 participants) we may see the true risk they present. 

1 hour ago, Goat said:

More likely to die on the roads going there.

Saw a car accident while out cycling at 11am this morning.

Open straight flat road, no other traffic besides me and my pal cycling along.

Oncoming pickup swerved off the road into a ditch and hit a concrete post, car didn't quite flip.

Concrete post in middle of engine ....... car a write off.

How'd he do that we wondered as we cycled past!

Edited by BritManToo

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Saw a car accident while out cycling at 11am this morning.

Open straight flat road, no other traffic besides me and my pal cycling along.

Oncoming pickup swerved off the road into a ditch and hit a concrete post, car didn't quite flip.

Concrete post in middle of engine ....... car a write off.

How'd he do that we wondered as we cycled past!

Brake failure micro nap while texting?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ouch !!... very lucky fella... 

I’ve bungee jumped , sky dived, zip-lined through forests etc...  BUT, I will never do any of these activities in Thailand...  (call this a Thai bash if you want - it is exactly that). In Thailand there is no accountability for safety failures whatsoever, ergo there is no real incentive to ensure equipment maintenance is carried out and equipment and practices are safe.

<snip>

Add parasailing to your list! Watching it in Pattaya frightens the life out of me!????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Once again a subject whereva few big lawsuit settlements would improve safety.   

And I can believe the kung infection as I think most water bodies in Thailand would get you sick if inhaled or swallowed. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

This guy got his money's worth. He'll have something to talk about for the rest of his life. 

He is lucky to have a life left to talk about this experience!! 

I did a bungeejump in Australia when I was in my mid 40s, but only because my son promised that he would do it if I did it first, but after seeing me hurtle towards a very shallow pool of water he chickened out, and I can't say that I blame him.

Here in Patong there was a guy killed in a bungeejumping facility and when the depth of the water was examined it was no more than about 2 feet deep, so it was practically useless to stop an injury, which I believe it supposedly designed to do. 

Ages since I posted anything & this subject reminded me of the 25 years I lived in LOS, until I got throat cancer from the muck they call 'fresh air' in Chiang Mai & decamped to Oz with my family. Had my annual throat scan last week at the local cancer clinic & ten years after I left Thailand & had  months of radio therapy, it seems the cancer is really gone. As I sat in the waiting area, I saw a book of 'Andy Capp' cartoons on the table. When I lived in LOS, I bought the 'Bangkok Post' daily & cut out all the 'Andy Capp' cartoons & stuck them in scrapbooks, which now reside in my toilet. One in my scrapbook sums this topic up perfectly, given that this happened in LOS. Andy is sitting in the pub drinking a beer - the chap next to him, doing a crossword puzzle says "what's that thing called Andy, you know, where they tie giant rubber bands on your ankles & you jump off bridges & things" - Andy never even looks up but says, "stupidity" ..... 

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

Once again a subject whereva few big lawsuit settlements would improve safety.   

And I can believe the kung infection as I think most water bodies in Thailand would get you sick if inhaled or swallowed. 

you file a lawsuit they sue for defamation. 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess it makes more sense to engage in such activities when much older as there is ‘less life to waste’ if things go sideways !!!! 

I used to see people doing bungee jumps in car-parks in the UK... No thanks, no interest. 

But, 134m high over a Canyon near Queenstown NZ... Sure, point me in the right direction !!

I’d have done it numerous times, but for the cost - but never in Thailand. 

I have done the 134m Nevis bungee in NZ

Not sure if the cable car to the middle of the canyon was any less scary than the jump.

When you are still dangling you have to reach up and pull a lever which gets you upright then you get lifted back up which is probably the worst part.

Imagine doing that in Thailand.

So many things could go wrong and probably would.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ouch !!... very lucky fella... 

I’ve bungee jumped , sky dived, zip-lined through forests etc...  BUT, I will never do any of these activities in Thailand...  (call this a Thai bash if you want - it is exactly that). In Thailand there is no accountability for safety failures whatsoever, ergo there is no real incentive to ensure equipment maintenance is carried out and equipment and practices are safe. 

----

Recently (while I was traveling overseas) my Wife & Son went away for a couple of days with a handful of families (son’s class mates)... a fun trip was planned. 

The group also planned to do the ’tree-top zip-line adventure’....  I put a stop to that, not in Thailand. 

Wife explained to the others, they actually understood and agreed...  

100% agree.

On 3/22/2023 at 10:57 AM, giddyup said:

If the cord hadn't broken his fall he'd be dead.

Erm....    thats bungee Jumping !!!  ????????

I get your point though.. before the cord snapped it had significantly reduced the velocity of the fall... 

That said... How high is 10 stories  ??....  common google answers suggest its about 33 meters.

Cliff divers go from abut 30m....  the falling speed reaches about 80kmh...  

A fall from 30m is ‘probably survivable’ but I guess that depends on how you enter the water.

• Like 1