There's another big defamation case against Fox News — and it could prove the knockout punch.

onthedarkside

7 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Both sides have to agree to settle...and Dominion won't now especially with the evidence so far.

If I didn't state it already, I am not a lawyer.

This case could go on for YEARS, and in the meantime what happens to Dominion's business?

With a settlement, Dominion could demand all sorts of conditions from Fox, in addition to a negotiated monetary settlement. Those might include positive statements on Dominion's products so states continue to buy them, and an admission of all the things Fox did wrong.

7 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Dominion is out to prove a point

Are they? What is that point?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Both sides have to agree to settle...and Dominion won't now especially with the evidence so far.  They also have smart lawyers and chose Delaware to file suit for a good reason: One of the few states that have no limit on punitive damages!!  Dominion is out to prove a point and see these scumbags in court / on the stand......I can't wait!!

I don't think Dominion chose Delaware. Fox News is incorporated in Delaware. It's the legally appropriate venue.

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

This case could go on for YEARS, and in the meantime what happens to Dominion's business?

With a settlement, Dominion could demand all sorts of conditions from Fox, in addition to a negotiated monetary settlement. Those might include positive statements on Dominion's products so states continue to buy them, and an admission of all the things Fox did wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what happens to Dominion's business? Why would the lawsuit interfere with Dominion's business?

I don't think an admission by Fox at this juncture is necessary or significant. The evidence is overwhelming that they promoted falsehoods. The legal issues at stake aren't about whether Fox promoted falsehoods or not, but rather whether they did so purposely with reckless disregard for the truth and/or out of actual malice.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 3:58 PM, RichardColeman said:

If every newstation or station got sued and removed for slander etc, then the whole tv wavelengths would just be static

I couldn't stop laughing at this.

Sarah Palin’s Libel Claim Against The Times Is Rejected by a Jury

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/15/business/media/new-york-times.html

Scott Stringer Sues for Defamation Over Sexual Assault Claim

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/12/nyregion/scott-stringer-sues-jean-kim.html

Trump Sues CNN for Defamation, Seeking $475 Million

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/business/media/trump-cnn-lawsuit.html

The company is seeking unspecified fees spent fending off a 2020 lawsuit by Peter Brimelow, according to the company's lawsuit, which was filed on Tuesday.

Brimelow had sued the company over five articles published between January 2019 and May 2020 that described him as being "white nationalist" and his VDARE.com website as being "animated by race hatred."

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/ny-times-fires-back-defamation-plaintiff-with-anti-slapp-lawsuit-2022-04-15/

Trump 2020 Campaign Suit Against Washington Post Dismissed

Judge said suit failed to meet legal standards for defamation

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-03/trump-2020-campaign-suit-against-washington-post-is-dismissed?leadSource=uverify wall

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And there you have nailed it, because most people who watch it really don't fit into the category you mention with regards to having a brain.

Tucker laps it up. He earns a $35 million salary from Fox News annually, making him the highest-paid and richest television hosts in the world. Lying for a living is serving him well no wonder he keeps his audience happy and lets them hear what they want to hear rather than the truth.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Tucker laps it up. He earns a $35 million salary from Fox News annually, making him the highest-paid and richest television hosts in the world. Lying for a living is serving him well no wonder he keeps his audience happy and lets them hear what they want to hear rather than the truth.

Usually aspersions as to motives have nothing to back them up. But in this case we have actual emails from Carlson that prove your point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't think Dominion chose Delaware. Fox News is incorporated in Delaware. It's the legally appropriate venue.

Well I guess it was their rotten luck then being their own state is one the few that doesn't have a cap on damages.  Again, good lawyers and all the more reason then, right in their backyard!!

3 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

Well I guess it was their rotten luck then being their own state is one the few that doesn't have a cap on damages.  Again, good lawyers and all the more reason then, right in their backyard!!

Not a matter of luck. Most major U.S. corporations prefer to incorporate in Delaware. For one thing, no jury trials in civil business suits. Saves time and money. Which in most cases corporations prefer.

That's one reason why Musk ultimately capitulated to Twitter. His legal counsel knew he didn't have a legitimate case, and while a jury might have been swayed, a judge on the Chancery Court wouldn't have been.

Edited by placeholder

9 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Not years at all....how about next month?......will know next Tuesday more but I read:

"Judge Eric M. Davis has scheduled oral arguments for March 21. If he turns down both summary judgment motions, a jury trial is scheduled to start in April."

https://deadline.com/2023/03/fox-news-dominion-defamation-lawsuit-1235283212/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

Not years at all....how about next month?......will know next Tuesday more but I read:

"Judge Eric M. Davis has scheduled oral arguments for March 21. If he turns down both summary judgment motions, a jury trial is scheduled to start in April."

https://deadline.com/2023/03/fox-news-dominion-defamation-lawsuit-1235283212/

Another advantage/disadvantage of incorporating in Delaware.

Not many know this one is coming too so when Dominion is done cashing out, I hope Smartmatic empties the jar.....LOL!!!

THE GUARDIAN / MARCH / 13:

"In fact, on paper Smartmatic’s suit appears to be the more dangerous. It’s demanding damages of $2.7bn, compared with Dominion’s $1.6bn.

So far, attempts by Fox lawyers to have the Smartmatic case dismissed have fallen on stony ground. Last week the New York state supreme court in Manhattan gave the green light for the case to proceed against Fox News, the Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo, the former business anchor Lou Dobbs and Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/13/smartmatic-defamation-lawsuit-against-fox-news

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Not many know this one is coming too so when Dominion is done cashing out, I hope Smartmatic empties the jar.....LOL!!!

THE GUARDIAN / MARCH / 13:

"In fact, on paper Smartmatic’s suit appears to be the more dangerous. It’s demanding damages of $2.7bn, compared with Dominion’s $1.6bn.

So far, attempts by Fox lawyers to have the Smartmatic case dismissed have fallen on stony ground. Last week the New York state supreme court in Manhattan gave the green light for the case to proceed against Fox News, the Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo, the former business anchor Lou Dobbs and Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/13/smartmatic-defamation-lawsuit-against-fox-news

I would hope everyone posting in this thread knows that. After all that is what this thread is about.

• Like 1

Fox viewers trust has been eroded by revelation in the lawsuits. Trust in Carlson and Hannity has also been on a decline. Decline may not be a deluge but still indicate that doubts have crept into the minds of some viewers. Discoveries during both court cases may open up more minds of Fox’s viewers for rational thinking.

https://www.poynter.org/newsletters/2023/fox-news-viewers-survey-trust-network-less/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Fox viewers trust has been eroded by revelation in the lawsuits. Trust in Carlson and Hannity has also been on a decline. Decline may not be a deluge but still indicate that doubts have crept into the minds of some viewers. Discoveries during both court cases may open up more minds of Fox’s viewers for rational thinking.

https://www.poynter.org/newsletters/2023/fox-news-viewers-survey-trust-network-less/

Unfortunately that won't matter at all. Plus I think the main reason for the decline is the open doubt of Fox on Trump.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Unfortunately that won't matter at all. Plus I think the main reason for the decline is the open doubt of Fox on Trump.

Perhaps. However this part of the poll suggest that Trump election denialism is also losing support in tandem with Fox’s trust deficit. 

13% of Fox Viewers said they no longer felt the 2020 election was stolen. Meanwhile, 50% still believe it was, while 37% said it had no impact and they still believe the election was fairly held. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Perhaps. However this part of the poll suggest that Trump election denialism is also losing support in tandem with Fox’s trust deficit. 

13% of Fox Viewers said they no longer felt the 2020 election was stolen. Meanwhile, 50% still believe it was, while 37% said it had no impact and they still believe the election was fairly held. 

Thanks, that confirms my earlier post.

45 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

If MSNBC reports it, must be true.

I ve never tuned in to watch it ! I see enough of it on Tucker  segments ,if you know what I mean!

Edited by riclag

It must be getting near the time to close "Fox News" down for ever, bankrupt and jail all the directors including Rupert Murdoch, and ban them all from operating any "news channel" for 25 years each at least.

This of course is only my personal opinion and other posters may have different opinions.

Edited by billd766
added extra text