Khon Kaen is the most affordable tourist destination in Thailand, says Agoda

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Because of Agoda’s passion for getting travelers the best possible deals and most competitive prices, the digital travel platform analyzed the average room rates of tourist destinations in April. In Thailand, Khon Kaen is the most affordable tourist destination, with an average room rate of 1,030 THB. Also in Thailand’s top 5 are Surat Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Udon Thani and Hat Yai respectively.

Think I'll give all of those a miss!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Just back from four days in a 3.5 * rated hotel AKA dive!  Sited just near enough to an entertainment complex mercifully far enough away to fade the hours of techno music where the speakers were set to deafening.  The three receptionists barely looked up from their gaming.  The shower fixture could not support the head & flooded the bathroom at every use.  No hair dryer.  We cut short our stay by two nights in favour of a resort that had all the features of the hotel room + an onsite restaurant.  It cost 50% of the hotel price and there was no noise.

Name of hotel? dont worry they are not going to take legal action for defamation

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Just back from four days in a 3.5 * rated hotel AKA dive!  Sited just near enough to an entertainment complex mercifully far enough away to fade the hours of techno music where the speakers were set to deafening.  The three receptionists barely looked up from their gaming.  The shower fixture could not support the head & flooded the bathroom at every use.  No hair dryer.  We cut short our stay by two nights in favour of a resort that had all the features of the hotel room + an onsite restaurant.  It cost 50% of the hotel price and there was no noise.

Review it on tripadvisor.com and help fellow travellers.

Make up a handle for your Username.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

I first went to KK as a tourist because I had a friend who had married a Thai girl from there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the real Thailand as opposed to the tourist traps I had been to and it was one of the highlights of my trip.

I subsequently went there many times when I eventually moved to Thailand and I coincidently lived in Issan for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ideal for me - I lived in Phu Wiang (about 45 km from Khon Kaen) after moving across from Lanna. Personal choice and very enjoyable scenery, especially around Ubonrat with its extensive lake (reservoir), dam and other attractions There is a lakeside resort named "Pattaya 2" but not for beach bum pundits with their favourite bar stool! For me, Khon Kaen was great for shopping and being a Tourist Police Volunteer based in the city. Photo - Pattaya 2 (will be packed for Songkran):-

Pattaya 2

Pattaya 2 - Picture of Pattaya 2, Phu Wiang - Tripadvisor

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

My nearest city, immigration office, home to many hospitals and, of course, Khon Kaen University. Otherwise, just another busy city best avoided IMHO. Decent enough restaurants and entertainment especially Tawandaeng Mahason although haven't been there for 4 years. 

• Thanks 1

I believe that Khon Kaen is a great place to reside in. The city has large shopping malls which are no different from those in Bangkok, yet still maintains a rural vibe and potential for growth. However, as a tourist destination, I am uncertain of its appeal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Think I'll give all of those a miss!

Surat Thani is great, but not the city of, or Samui.  Huge province and lovely

Cheow Lan Lake & Khaosok being located there.

Khon Kaen does have one of the better restaurants in Thailand.  Greenleaf Hydrofarm & Restaurant and well worth popping in if out by the airport, or even a special trip to.

image.png.0e22fe6298e81905b18bdb8dbae3e408.png

Edited by KhunLA

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the real Thailand

I see this statement frequently from various posters on this board, how many " real Thailand" are there?? 

and what does that even mean?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BayArea said:

I see this statement frequently from various posters on this board, how many " real Thailand" are there?? 

I already qualified my definition , not a tourist trap.

"A tourist trap is an establishment (or group of establishments) that has been created or re-purposed with the aim of attracting tourists and their money. Tourist traps will typically provide overpriced services, entertainment, food, souvenirs and other products for tourists to purchase".

Tourist trap - Wikipedia

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Retfed50 said:

I am not sure how they define a "tourist destination".  Although, it has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years. My wife is from Khon Kaen, and the reason we like it is because it is NOT a tourist destination!

Looks like someone is out to change that!

25 minutes ago, bob smith said:

ive heard most of the girls up there are of the light skin complexion.

tis true or not?

I dont know about the color bob, but the female numbers are staggering---- so many universities there  & top hospitals place is full of students & nurses. What is it about Thailand that they have so few guys in Uni compared to girls.

• Love It 1

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You could make it 'free', and I still wouldn't bother.

Visited voluntarily, to get income letter, days past, as nice hotel break at Sofitel (now Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid), having excellent brekkie buffet and decent brewery in lobby.   Embassy did letters on site.

Good for any overnight/brekkie pig out, and peek around town, but 1 day was enough.

I wouldn't rush back there , The breakfast, as you say , used to be excellent,  is still available but the quality is very poor now,  I noticed the decline started a few years before covid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BayArea said:

Difficult to explain to those who never venture far from the usual tourist ghettos, and rarely appreciated by them. You'll know it if you find it

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

ive heard most of the girls up there are of the light skin complexion.

tis true or not?

need to get myself up there one day.

All skin tones are represented, I seem to remember it was either Lampang or Lamphun that was most famous for light skinned totty