Incoming tourism growth slows amid visas, airfares and attacks on Chinese nationals which have caused jitters

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The figures, although on course for a three-year high in April 2023 for Chinese visitors and showing a marked recovery in foreign tourism, appear to indicate that growth is slowing from the key market with tourist industry leaders blaming higher airfares and a complicated visa process for the lower than expected growth in numbers. There is also a nagging concern about an ongoing social media campaign in China and reports spreading in that country about the potential danger posed to Chinese tourists in Thailand

No surprises there.

It will be interesting to see how government handles the Chinese aspect. There has been a lot of well publicised crackdowns on illegal visa's and business ownership, mostly targeting the Chinese. Maybe TAT is not happy with the impact on tourist numbers that resulted but I'm  sure many are happy with the crackdowns. The one thing is the inevitable price that must be paid for the other, more tourists means higher rates of crime by foreigners, do they want the one thing more than they don't want the other. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

I for one am amazed that anyone came at all considering the air-piracy being employed by airlines and the limited amount of flights. They are making everyone pay for their “losses” after taking in all the covid payouts. It’s a wonder anyone is bothering getting on a flight…I certainly am not until they return to normal.

And in a single swoop, Thailand achieves it's aim of only high value tourists. Well not really... they will get Indians and Chinese to come, and I doubt their flights will be too expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1