Thailand tops the list of destinations for the return of Chinese May Day travellers

webfact

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Being that the May day holiday in China is 1 day I don't think this is very big news at all. Just more prattle.

It is a Monday this year and I believe usually celebrated on Mondays,  so a long weekend,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Yes it probably is, but it almost certainly has its roots in fact. Logically, Chinese are beginning to travel more, logically that destination is here, unfortunately.

Well, here's a more reliable link which, amazingly, does bear this out, though I doubt logic plays a big role. I mean, why aren't Macau, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan, all Mandarin/Cantonese speaking, more attractive than monoglot Thailand? And what - no gambling? Guns galore. Kidnaps, murder and mayhem. I'd give it a wide berth. But it's probably an affordability thing. Group tours? You know they make sense!

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/14/where-are-chinese-travelers-going-thailand-and-more-in-southeast-asia.html

I say more reliable, as a lot of figures are quoted from trip.com and Ctrip, both Chinese booking platforms.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

As of April 20th, the Top 20 most booked international destinations for Chinese tourists during the May Day holidays have been Thailand, Malaysia, USA, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, UAE, Singapore, Vietnam, Australia, UK, South Korea, Italy, Spain, France, Turkey, Canada, Germany, Brazil, and the Netherlands.

Guess after the cartoon invasion promo , Taiwan is off the menu 

• Haha 1

Christ on a bloody bike! Yet another invented 'surge' of Chinese tourists that won't bloody happen.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Chinese travelers are eager to explore the world once again. ...

The world. THE WORLD!!!

Mayday!...Mayday!...Mayday!...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Well, here's a more reliable link which, amazingly, does bear this out, though I doubt logic plays a big role. I mean, why aren't Macau, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan, all Mandarin/Cantonese speaking, more attractive than monoglot Thailand? And what - no gambling? Guns galore. Kidnaps, murder and mayhem. I'd give it a wide berth. But it's probably an affordability thing. Group tours? You know they make sense!

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/14/where-are-chinese-travelers-going-thailand-and-more-in-southeast-asia.html

I say more reliable, as a lot of figures are quoted from trip.com and Ctrip, both Chinese booking platforms.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and Macau are all very expensive by comparison, they also appeal separately to different levels of Chinese society. Thailand is a good location for anyone from poor/low spenders, up through upper middle class and potentially beyond. Obviously, there are lots more poor Chinese than wealthy ones.

There may also be travel and access issues into HK and Taiwan for many mainlanders, unsure at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and Macau are all very expensive by comparison, they also appeal separately to different levels of Chinese society. Thailand is a good location for anyone from poor/low spenders, up through upper middle class and potentially beyond. Obviously, there are lots more poor Chinese than wealthy ones.

There may also be travel and access issues into HK and Taiwan for many mainlanders, unsure at the moment.

Here's another take on it.

https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2023/04/chinas-outbound-trips-peaks-for-labour-day/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

That article from CNBC is more than two months old. Since then several articles have appeared on this site saying Chinese travel has disappointed or that figures are falling off.

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

This is just a nonsense advertorial.

agree, nothing but another TAT expectation/wishful thinking/dream on  as some friends living there they didn't paint a very bright picture on the contrary, it appears many Chinese have no money available to travel

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John Drake said:

That article from CNBC is more than two months old. Since then several articles have appeared on this site saying Chinese travel has disappointed or that figures are falling off.

Thanks for pointing that out, but February this year is not bad for related articles. Hard to find up to date stuff.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does have alot to offer. But, world class shopping is not one of them. Any wealthy friend who has visited has told me the wife was complaining about not being able to shop. Not a lack of selection. But, stupid pricing on luxury goods. So, you want to attract wealthy tourists? Lower luxury taxes to 20%. And wine taxes to 60%.

In other words, do something unfathomable. Make a sacrifice for tourism. 

Not a chance Spidermike they will be ringing their hands to hike up prices for the Gullible Chinese. Is it a coincidence that the same day TAT predicted millions this year?

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Thanks 1