Thai baht soars as voters back pro-democracy parties

webfact

2 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

if democracy is ignorated then i fear violence of the people wakes up and i 'm afraid for the future of this country, and the baht can crash very quickly and the poor people will receive the boomerang in the face, very bleak future for young people, too bad....

Sorry, did you say democracy ?

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's right, it's the same with the dollar if anyone cares to check.

The whole story is just an untruth - the markets did nothing, it's almost like nobody cares - which is probably near the truth.

image.png.9b3f84079e802dfdb60aed8aebc5df17.png

It's been ranging around this level since May 5.

Not long arrived back in Blighty, read this and immediately checked TT’s rate in Pattaya as I distinctly remembered it being @ 41.95/£ on Saturday? According to their website they’re currently offering 42.23/£ which equates to a 0.67% swing the other way unless Thai maths is different to the rest the world? ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai baht hit a five-week high this morning after pro-democracy parties came out as the biggest winners in yesterday’s General Election after nearly a decade of military-backed rule in Thailand.

Weird. I don't recall the Thai Baht crashing when Prayut ordered his tanks onto the streets of Bangkok back in 2014.

More b_ Thai Baht is financially propped up ! as always against $£€ etc,.fake economy keep on printing money ???? ????  Thai Government never needed covid as an excuse ???? ???? ever since financial disasters / crisis in late 90s ????  Now every Government does it US , UK , EU , AUS,  Thanks covid lockdowns b_

Edited by Mad mick
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's right, it's the same with the dollar if anyone cares to check.

The whole story is just an untruth - the markets did nothing, it's almost like nobody cares - which is probably near the truth.

image.png.9b3f84079e802dfdb60aed8aebc5df17.png

It's been ranging around this level since May 5.

It does seem to have risen a bit, but not as much as it dropped earlier. Maybe correcting a bit after earlier fears. It's a long process here so much will probably depend on what happens in the next few weeks. In the end it may not make much difference as the baht doesn't seem to react as much as would be expected to outside influences and it may be the same for this.

31 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Weird. I don't recall the Thai Baht crashing when Prayut ordered his tanks onto the streets of Bangkok back in 2014.

The baht often seems little affected by major events.

7 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Yup, USD down, Baht up.  Interest rates in US now 5+%.  Interest rates in Thailand—around 2%..  I’ve given up trying to make sense of it all.

The US has issues, not the least of which is the debt ceiling debacle.  If America were to default....don't even want to think about it.

Aussie dollar still on the slow decline, now at it's lowest since Dec 2020.  

Spending power reduced by about 5% every Baht increase (based on a rough historical average of AUD dollar ranging between 20 - 25 Baht.)   Sux having Aussie dollars.  

USD to THB current as of a few ago was $1 = 33.92 Thb or 1 Thb = .0294744 USD

1 USD to THB - US Dollars to Thai Baht Exchange Rate (xe.com)

The chart in the link shows a seesawing back and forth the past week between a low of 33.50 Thb per $1 USD to a high of 33.99 Thb.  We are currently in very similar territory as we were 1 year ago with the exchange rate.

image.png.a767f27375bb01ace88daba42624ec61.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neeray said:

" But, with Parliamentary rules written by the military junta, no coalition is certain just yet in Thailand."

While anything is possible in Thai politics, I highly doubt that any skullduggery will take place this time. The people have spoken; they just wouldn't stand for it.

Guns and tanks have a funny way of changing people's minds! 

First you have a democratically elected Government and then suddenly - COUP - and you no longer have your democratically elected Government, but a military junta led Government, that as you have just pointed out, have written their own rulebook - which as far as I know still stands (e.g. military appointed senators?)

I'm still waiting for the fat lady to sing on this one!

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

USD to THB current as of a few ago was $1 = 33.92 Thb or 1 Thb = .0294744 USD

1 USD to THB - US Dollars to Thai Baht Exchange Rate (xe.com)

The chart in the link shows a seesawing back and forth the past week between a low of 33.50 Thb per $1 USD to a high of 33.99 Thb.  We are currently in very similar territory as we were 1 year ago with the exchange rate.

image.png.a767f27375bb01ace88daba42624ec61.png

Maybe a lot more room for the dollar to climb as it becomes increasingly apparent that the elections promise confusion and uncertainty for quite some time before things get settled.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I just checked both Gbp and Usd if anything it has done the opposite!

I expect initial optimism over Thailand returning to democracy has now been replaced by realization of the reality... there is a mess to sort out and cronyism and the usual practices are about to play a hand.... if it can even be settled. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Maybe a lot more room for the dollar to climb

If default is avoided :biggrin: Else much room to fall.

Fortunately the effect from the election was short-lived as seen so far.

eurthbelection.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ